Chang Mai to Pai and/or Chang Rai on a scooter

Discussion in 'Northern Thailand - General Discussion Forum' started by timstr, Aug 26, 2011.

1. timstr

timstr New Member

Hello everyone,

I'm considering renting two 125cc scooters in Chang Mai this October (the misses doesn't ride a 'real' bike) to make the trip to Pai and/or Chang Rai.

Has anyone ever made that trip on a little scooter? Is it doable, and how long would either route take?

Thanks a bunch,

2. Loading...

3. David Learmonth

David Learmonth Ol'Timer

Phil "Feel the noise" & I did that run to Pai in May on a Wave 125 & a PCX. No problem - we had no rain on the way there & it poured down all the way back. Depends how fast you go! The road is twisty & if wet a lot of the corners are slippery (or they were) allow a day for it - steady ride there, there are a few nice coffee stops en route & a steady ride back. You'll easy do it in a day. ChiangRai from ChiangMai also quite easy in a day, we rode from 50 kilometres further than ChiangRai & did it easy in 5hours even including coffee & lunch stops on the way. If you've not ridden in Thailand before, just go a bit slower until you learn to adapt to the "standard" of driving here! Have a safe trip!

4. timstr

timstr New Member

David, thanks! That's great to hear.

I figure we'll spend the night in Pai and head back the next day, should be fun!

5. David Learmonth

David Learmonth Ol'Timer

That sounds a better idea! Pai has loads of accomodation available at various standards & prices. I found it a bit "one horse" when I stayed there last but liked it just the same.