Chiang Rai Earthquake?

feejer

Feb 16, 2007
My friendly Thai girl barista at the local Starbuck's said there was some shaking up in Chiang Rai at 6+ magnitude. Have not heard of it, wondering if true and if any damage etc.?

Jan 14, 2010
6.8 earthquake 90 km North of Chiang Rai. One reported death. No reports of major damage.

A friend in Chiang Rai mentioned it on Facebook. She sound a bit shaken up but OK.

ABC News

Apr 23, 2006
About 9 o'clock Thursday night, house was shaking! Several after shocks last night & another one this morning. Apparently it started in Burma.

Jan 14, 2010
News coming out of Burma has the death toll at 25 in the town of Tarlay.

"Five monasteries and 35 buildings collapsed in the town. Those people were killed when the buildings collapsed," said the official, who declined to be named."

The one death referred to earlier was in Mae Sai.

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
There are a number of studies of what illogical things people do in a sudden stressful event. I bolted out the door of my two storied concrete home, built on pillars, and found myself standing in the yard with no shoes or cell phone; but I was still holding the TV remote control in my hand.

KenYam

Nov 2, 2007
Yeah interesting reading....I like Ron's footy story the best, I would do the same if I could get ABC in Sankamphaeng and Dave once you were outside what did you find, you still had in your hand 555...555.

My wife felt it and I said don't be silly its just a strong wind now shutup and let me hear the movie.

But one sad report I read says 50 dead in Burma.

feejer

Feb 16, 2007
6.8 is big stuff. I remember the 6.9 "Loma Prieta" quake back in '89 as the biggest one I have ever lived through. I was outside talking to my neighbor when it hit and we looked down the street and could see the waves rolling down the block just like we were on a boat on the ocean but they were moving at huge speed. The weirdest thing was the sound like a muffled whooooooshing oscillation. We just stared at each other for 10 seconds after, like "did we just see and hear that?" I'll never forget it and hope I never see anything like that again.

Mar 11, 2008
we've been in PUA, north of Nan, and first we thought that our light-way bulit balcony was shaking because we had too much of real good thai food and beer chang before.
but then everybody around us also jumped out of their bungalows ( in their lovley sleeping dresses)
as we realized what happened it was over.

yesterday we stayed on Phu Chi Fa mountain (1500 m) far away from earth, only cows, cabbage and warm sleepcovers at night.

today we reached Chiang Khong and had a nice welcome "coffee shake" at mekong river. it quakes only a little bit and for a few seconds.

Let's see what's going on.
Our plan was to be at Mae Sai in 2 days :((
Maybe we should change the route.

Apr 23, 2006
We're only 25 kms from MaeSai & there have "only" been two small after shocks today. One early morning & one around lunchtime. Should be OK in two days time! (I hope)

Jan 14, 2010
Davidfl;266650 wrote: Glad all you guys were ok. I was Downunder in Oz on holidays with Happy-Go-Lucky having a great time.
Does anyone know Sweet Mae Salong fared?

Mee was on Facebook a couple of days later, complaining about a lack of customers. No mention of damage so I assume all OK.