Chiangmai to Hua Hin by provincial roads

paulsiamsj

Jul 28, 2022
I am planning a motorbike ride form Chiangmai to Hua Hin; but I do not want to go by the major highways. Provincial roads good. Any suggestions form those who might have done this already??

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
I am not sure how long you have for the ride south, but you could follow the Ping River from CM to where it meets the Chaophraya River towards Bangkok, it not something I have done but it’s something I am thinking about doing. Then from BKK to could hug the coast to Hua Hin

Wayne

George HuaHin

Subscribed
Jul 25, 2011
Hua Hin
I have been doing this trip 20 times or even more. My favourite route was CM, Uttaradit, Nakhon Sawan for stay a night, Suphan Buri, Nakhon Pathom, Petchaburi, HuaHin.
Avoiding highway 1 and BKK outer ring road, both no fun at all.

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
I am planning a motorbike ride form Chiangmai to Hua Hin; but I do not want to go by the major highways. Provincial roads good. Any suggestions form those who might have done this already??
Officially Thailand have highways of 4 different classifications (white signs) and rural roads (blue signs)

So thus its a bit unclear to me what you mean by provincial roads, and what you want to ride and what roads you want to avoid?

Is 2 digit number roads too big? Is 3 digit road numbers too big? Etc etc…

But an example could be to start with R106 out of Chiang Mai and continue through Lamphun, Lampang and into Tak province. Then when R106 meets R101 you ride that further through Tak province into Kampaeng Phet province, then R1084 to Nakhon Sawan, then the ring road around Nakhon Sawan, then some minor roads to reach R333, continue on this through Suphan Buri, further into R321 to Nakhon Pathom. After that I guess you either have to find many smaller roads or just follow the main road R4 south to HH.

You could also ride R108 from Chiang Mai to Mae Sariang, then R105 towards Mae Sot, then R1175 down to R1, a little on R1 to R12 then R101 and same as above.

Even more adventurous is
R108 to R1099 Omkoi, then rural R3054 from Mae Tuen to Mae Ramat, then R1175 and same as above.

When riding south and around Bangkok I usually take R333 and R321 through Suphan Buri and even though some parts of this road has been quite heavy trafficed I found it much better than riding closer to Bangkok

George HuaHin

Subscribed
Jul 25, 2011
Hua Hin
Via Tak you must like straight, fast roads with many traffic and sunshine. From Lampang to Uttaradit you have curvy roads and often shade by forest.
Agreed, via Tak is much faster