First Tour

Bang Sare

Mar 30, 2023
Greetings People. Well i have just joined the group and i am looking for some of you knowledge and experiance. Okay i hope to buy a 2018 Benelli TRK 500X This week. I have a friend who would like to tour Cambodia i have Never toured before and would like to ask what advice you would give. what sort of Money i would need. Oh by the way the Bike is Tubeless so what would be the best or appropiate Puncture kit i would need. (hoping that i never get a puncture, but you never know with those roads). I Want to do this before the world becomes crazy again. any advice even if it seems trivial to you would help me a lot.. Thank You All In Advance..

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
Welcome. I've never toured anywhere. I like Aircon and hot showers.

Just thinking, it might be easier to rent a bike in Cambodia?

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
«What sort of money» - if you mean what currency used in Cambo its cambodian riel. Cambodians also loves the US dollar so a good advise is to bring some of that currency with you. Good for visa fee etc. Thai baht can possibly work at places near the thai border but my experience is that cambodians werent much interested in thai baht in general.

Also check your receipts - my experiences in Cambo is that they like to slip in an extra item here and there. Such as 4 water bottles - when I bought only 3, air con room when I only had a fan room etc.

Most rooms I booked through Booking.com in Cambo werent even remotely near the descriptions they had on the booking site. So be aware of a bit of scam tendencies…

Reactions: Bang Sare

Gregthemagnificent

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Apr 14, 2018
Perth Australia
I would not do my first tour in Cambodia. I've been there many times, hot and dusty, seem to always get sick, Phnom Phen is a perpetual traffic jam, expensive compared to other Asian destinations, communication challenging, dangerous drivers. You need experience before going there. On the positive side, there some fantastic Angkor ruins to see, remote north of Seim Reap., such as Koh Ker.

Do a Northern Thailand tour or a North Vietnam guided tour to gain experience

I've done a few guided tours from Hanoi. They are a bit expensive, but they organize accommodation and meals, and take you to places you could never find by yourself. Ride a Honda CRF 250 or 300, perfect bike for the riding conditions.