GPS Info

Discussion in 'GPS Use, Tracks & Maps Discussion' started by SilverhawkUSA, Mar 15, 2003.

1. SilverhawkUSA

SilverhawkUSA Ol'Timer

I am trying to buy a good GPS for use in Thailand. I would like one with at least tracking ability, I know that actual digital maps are few and far between. I have seen some of you mention using GPS. Does anyone know of a source here in Thailand or someone that will ship to the LOS?
  2. Loading...

3. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator Staff Member

I get my GPS in from the US, as it is always much cheaper.
    Almost any of the Garmin's are ok. Check out their website
    for the best GPS info.
    In Chiang Mai, Tom at Top Gear bicycle shop on Chang Moi road, did have a few some months ago, but I dont know how his stock is now.
    No doubt there are some for sale in Bangkok from an official GPS distributor, but I dont know who they are. You could look for an agents link from off the Garmin site.
    Hope this is a help. Let me know how you go.

Keep the power on
  4. SilverhawkUSA

SilverhawkUSA Ol'Timer

Thanks for the info. I am very familiar with Garmin as I used it on my boat in the U.S. However, I have researched their info and I find that there is an Asian version which has a base map for this part of the world. Their sight is not too helpful however in finding a dealer here. They do list one in BKK but they do not have a website. I'll try next time I am there.

Magellan seems to be the best unit feature for feature. They also have a sytem which is designed for use in this part of the world. Again I have not had any luck in finding a dealer. The units, both Garmin and Magellan, sold out of Australia are supposed to be configured for use here. I am still looking.

I will check with the source you mention in Chiang Mai.