HCMC good mechanic?

Discussion in 'Vietnam - General Discussion Forum' started by decook, Mar 13, 2014.

1. decook

decook Member

Hey...

First off, as this is my first post I'd like to say thanks to you guys at gtrider you've already helped a lot in my travels so far and been inspirational in getting me here.

Anyway back to the point of my post... I just rolled in to Ho Chi Minh City from Hanoi on an old Honda GL Pro, the ride down was awesome. However I'm finding the bike to be a little thirsty on oil probably due to the amount it burns. I'm planning on taking the bike on to Cambodia and Laos (and if I can get it over the border Thailand too) but before I do I'd like to look into getting the engine reconditioned.

Can anyone point me at a good garage that would be able to do this. English speaking would be a real bonus too as my Vietnamese is limited to 'hello', 'sorry' and 'thank you', so not really the best to have a technical discussion with.

Thanks in advance...

2. Loading...

3. decook

decook Member

If anyone is interested I ended up using these guys:

Saigon Scooter Centre

25/7 Cuu Long, Ward 2
    Tan Binh District,
    HCM City

0084 8 3848 7816

Its owned by and English guy (Patrick), but all the mechanics are Vietnamese. They mostly seem to be doing custom jobs on Lambrettas and have a lot of these in stock. But were happy to take in my old beater. They pulled apart the engine showed me what needed doing and are currently working on it:

A rebore,
    New piston,
    New rings,
    New valves,
    New clutch plates,
    New top sprocket,
    Rebuild front shocks,
    New back shocks.

Costing me about 5M Dong.

4. Rod Page

Rod Page Ol'Timer

Happy with the performance of the bike since the service?

5. decook

decook Member

Its running a treat, no more burning a litter of oil every 300km, compression is good, and so much more power. The reconditioned shocks make it much more comfortable ride too ... It feels like a bike that will make it to Bali now.

After the work they offered me the old bits, I guess to show they had really replaced them, I left them behind. They even let me try and help (despite not speaking a word in the same language as the guys working on it) witch was great I can now do the timing, clutch plate change, and even rear break assembly myself.

All in all I'm very happy with Saigon Scooter Centre.

6. chrisynok

chrisynok Ol'Timer

Flamingo Travel have a their branch shop in HCMC. They can repair bigger cc bikes as well.  The staff speak very good English.

Flamingo Travel Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) Branch:

Address: 30A Do Quang Dau, Pham Ngu Lao ward, district 1, HCMC.
    HCMC 24hr Help: +84 (0) 98 675 1020