High Fuel Consumption Crf L

Discussion in 'Honda Big Bikes Thailand' started by scorpion10, Oct 10, 2016.

1. scorpion10

scorpion10 New Member

I am riding a CRF L for a while here in Cambodia and since a couple of month I noticed a much higher fuel consumption than before. With one full tank I can make max 130 km (before it was up to 200 km).

The local garage here checked the engine, valves, replaced the air filter and could not find anything unusual. The bike "sounds & rides" like before. Don't notice any acceleration problems. No petrol leaking.

Any other ideas why the fuel consumption suddenly became so bad?

Any advice is welcome.
  2. Loading...

3. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator Staff Member

Are you fueling up at the same petrol station or have changed?
    I've noted in Laos sometimes that I can get up to 50 kms more on a tank of fuel.
  4. brian_bkk

brian_bkk Ol'Timer

When I had my new IMS tank installed the seals were no good on the first generation tank.
    I came back and it was empty a couple of days later. .
    ( replaced under warranty )

Yours doesn't sound as dramatic.
    Have you tried filling the bike up, leave it stationary for few days to a week.
    Then check the level.

If the fuel has gone down.. You may have a slow leak some where not obvious when riding.

I am a mechanical dummy.. but judging by the lack of feedback here.
    It doesn't sound like a common problem.. Suggest you look for slow leaks first that may be exacerbated when riding.

The only time I get that sort of range variation on my KLX is when bush whacking for a day compared to touring taking it easy.

5. Oddvar

Oddvar Ol'Timer

I've just turned 80k km on mine and always over 200km pr tank. If there is no visible leak it has to be something with the ECU/fule control system. Me think.
  6. Alamo

Alamo New Member