High Fuel Consumption Crf L

Jun 23, 2014
Hello,
I am riding a CRF L for a while here in Cambodia and since a couple of month I noticed a much higher fuel consumption than before. With one full tank I can make max 130 km (before it was up to 200 km).

The local garage here checked the engine, valves, replaced the air filter and could not find anything unusual. The bike "sounds & rides" like before. Don't notice any acceleration problems. No petrol leaking.

Any other ideas why the fuel consumption suddenly became so bad?

Any advice is welcome.
Michael

Mar 30, 2010
When I had my new IMS tank installed the seals were no good on the first generation tank.
I came back and it was empty a couple of days later. .
( replaced under warranty )

Yours doesn't sound as dramatic.
Have you tried filling the bike up, leave it stationary for few days to a week.
Then check the level.

If the fuel has gone down.. You may have a slow leak some where not obvious when riding.

I am a mechanical dummy.. but judging by the lack of feedback here.
It doesn't sound like a common problem.. Suggest you look for slow leaks first that may be exacerbated when riding.

The only time I get that sort of range variation on my KLX is when bush whacking for a day compared to touring taking it easy.

Cheers
Brian

Oddvar

Subscribed
Mar 18, 2013
I've just turned 80k km on mine and always over 200km pr tank. If there is no visible leak it has to be something with the ECU/fule control system. Me think.

Mar 1, 2011
Thanks for your answers. I checked again if I can find fuel leakages somewhere. Couldn't identify anything. Also not gasoline smell.
It remains a miracle. I filled the tank up yesterday, drove 60km today and two of the fuel indicator bars are already off. Usually the second bar went off after about 80-90 km but never after 60 km. Very strange.
I guess nobody in Cambodia can help with the ECU/fuel system.

Michael