Houayxai to Pakbeng via Paktha and Pha Oudom. On big bikes? Sure.

Oddvar

Subscribed
Mar 18, 2013
I rode this last time back in 2016. This time i wanted to se for myself after rumours about 'bad road'. There are no bad roads, just roads or no road at all.
I wanted to se if it will be ok on bigger bikes. And yes to that.
Mainly because they have made a new road from Pakbeng and up the hills. About 4-5 km. Even have a road number now.
Screenshot 2024-01-14_17-20-46-158.png

All sealed and a nice ride. If you are up for a challenge try the 'old' track.

Screenshot 2024-01-14_17-13-24-660.png

The road from Paktha to Pha Oudom has been upgraded because of the Banana plantations. They where not there last time.
Good gravel road and fairly flat.
From Pha Oudom some improvement has been done and all steep sections has sealed surface. I will not hesitate to take the AT and the misses.
From Houayxai to Pakbeng took about 6 hours.

Reactions: DavidFL

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
That's wonderful news for many people.
It sounds like you enjoyed yourself in there.
6 hours HX to Pak Beng.

What about the using the ferry to cross over to the Kong at Khontun.

Or even here, if the service still exists at Hat Donkeo

The roads on the west bank of the Khong are now asphalt from Khontun?
From Khontun it is asphalt to Pak Khop / Xieng Lom / Pakbeng / Muang Ngeun / Hongsa / Luang Prabang?

May 31, 2004
That's wonderful news for many people.
It sounds like you enjoyed yourself in there.
6 hours HX to Pak Beng.

What about the using the ferry to cross over to the Kong at Khontun.

Or even here, if the service still exists at Hat Donkeo

The roads on the west bank of the Khong are now asphalt from Khontun?
From Khontun it is asphalt to Pak Khop / Xieng Lom / Pakbeng / Muang Ngeun / Hongsa / Luang Prabang?
I did Houaixay - Pak Tha - Ban Hatsa - Kontuen - Xienglom - Muang Ngeun - Pak Beng twice in the last 4 months. First time in September by 4WD pickup and again in November with my Tiger 800Xca. Both times no problems at all. The dirt track to Kontuen is good and while i would avoid it in the rainy season with the big bike, easy to do by 4WD. After the ferry crossing the road is all asphalted and very good. From Haouixay to Kontuen you are looking at roughly 65 kms of dirt, the second part, i.e. from Pak Tha to Kontuen being even better than the stretch from Houaixay to Pak Tha.

Reactions: DavidFL