I have manual (in Japanese) for MD30 model of Honda XR250

Dec 28, 2008
I just bought a 2003 xr250 Baja bike. It's the Japanese MD30 model (first digits of the frame number), which is different from the xr250's sold in the U.S. For example, the alternator output is 204 watts at 5000 rpm's. (I think that spec for the exported-to-the-U.S. xr250's is just 140 watts). It's also a heavier bike (130 kg dry weight; 128 kg for the non-Baja MD30 xr250), and the stock sprockets are 13 front and 39 or 40 rear (depending on the year). I have a copy of the service manual in Japanese, and can figure out some of the stuff by comparing it with a copy of the exported xr250 which I downloaded, since the two manuals are set up similarly, and by looking at the pictures. When I see a spec that I have an idea what it might mean, I type the English term into translate.google.com, and see if the Japanese translation is what's in the manual. If anyone has one of these kinds of xr250 bikes and would like me to check the manual for information, you can pm or email me.
- Paul

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Paul1212
Membership since 28 Dec 2008
12 posts
• Is 90,000 a fair price for a '97 Honda XR250 Baja?
is-90-000-a-fair-price-for-a-97-honda-xr250-baja-t4956.html
“have put about 135,000 km on it since then”

• For sale: Waterproof textile riding gloves
for-sale-waterproof-textile-riding-gloves-t5877.html
“but make trips to Chiangrai often, and to Chiangmai, Lampang and Nan about once every month or two.”

• Need advice-deciding between xr400sm,xr250 Baja,& D-trkr
need-advice-deciding-between-xr400sm-xr250-baja-d-trkr-t6141.html
“Thanks in advance for any opinions or suggestions anyone shares...”

• Paying excise tax w/out getting license - will it get me by?
paying-excise-tax-w-out-getting-license-will-it-get-me-by-t6219.html
“The problem is that sometimes I ride to Chiangmai, where there has been a pretty big crackdown, and often go to Chiangrai, where there are signs of a beginning crackdown, so I'm wondering more about these two provinces (also Nan and Lampang, to which I travel at times).”

• Can have mechanic inspect bike Iwanna buy?-2prev.Thai owners
can-have-mechanic-inspect-bike-iwanna-buy-2prev-thai-owners-t6273.html
“I need a qualified opinion about the condition of this bike before I agree to buy it.
Thanks for any help anyone can give.”

• I have manual (in Japanese) for MD30 model of Honda XR250
“If anyone has one of these kinds of xr250 bikes and would like me to check the manual for information, you can pm or email me.”

Hey Paul
135,000 kms up in North Thailand. I ride to “Chiangrai often, and to Chiangmai, Lampang and Nan about once every month or two” & NOT ONE contribution to help anyone else.
FAIR GO mate. Contribute to share the load & not just take. Thank you!

:take-that:

Dec 28, 2008
"& NOT ONE contribution to help anyone else. FAIR GO mate. Contribute to share the load & not just take. "

Actually, that's not true. I've made three posts/replies to help other riders:
(1) a reply post in the Topic: "WANTED:- Protective gear for off-road riding " re. a store in C'mai that sells protective gear. (20.3.2010)
(2) my post called "Service manual free DL for xr250r and 49 other bikes (Honda?" (7.8.2010). This was a post to help other riders, not asking for help.
(3) This very post here - "I have manual (in Japanese) for MD30 model of Honda XR250", which I made specifically to help other riders. It's not a post asking for help.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Paul1212 wrote: "& NOT ONE contribution to help anyone else. FAIR GO mate. Contribute to share the load & not just take. "

Actually, that's not true. I've made three posts/replies to help other riders:
(1) a reply post in the Topic: "WANTED:- Protective gear for off-road riding " re. a store in C'mai that sells protective gear. (20.3.2010)
(2) my post called "Service manual free DL for xr250r and 49 other bikes (Honda?" (7.8.2010). This was a post to help other riders, not asking for help.
(3) This very post here - "I have manual (in Japanese) for MD30 model of Honda XR250", which I made specifically to help other riders. It's not a post asking for help.
Thanks Paul212 - well written. What I'd like to see is some trip reports sometime, as you seem to be riding a lot.

Dec 28, 2008
Well, most of my trips are pretty boring - I do a lot of Phayao-Chiangrai and Phayao-Chiangmai runs (mostly for business, not for touring) along main roads, but sometimes get up into Hmong villages. I don't know if the members would enjoy reading about those trips or not. But I admit 4 posts to ask for help, and 1 to advertise some gloves vs. 3 posts to offer help isn't a very good balance. I'll try to visit the forum & contribute more often.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Paul1212 wrote: Well, most of my trips are pretty boring - I do a lot of Phayao-Chiangrai and Phayao-Chiangmai runs (mostly for business, not for touring) along main roads, but sometimes get up into Hmong villages. I don't know if the members would enjoy reading about those trips or not. But I admit 4 posts to ask for help, and 1 to advertise some gloves vs. 3 posts to offer help isn't a very good balance. I'll try to visit the forum & contribute more often.
Paul1212
Any brief reports with just a few tips / photos / comments are welcome to help build up the touring community. The more the merrier.
Not every trip has to be an adventure - just a leisurely with ride with some pix from your Hmong villages would be brilliant.
Do you get up into the Hmong villages on the ridgeline between Phayao R1 & Wiang Pa Pao R118? There are some great villages up there with wonderful views.
It may be boring for new, but not newbies who have never ridden here before.
Thanks a million.
When you're next in Cnx please PM me to meet up in the Kafe for a "pow wow." :thumbup:

Dec 28, 2008
Ok. I'll try to do that. Regarding the Hmong villages you're referring to - I don't think I'm familiar with them, but you've got me interested now. Is Phayao R1 the main road that runs from Phayao to Wang Neua? Actually, I've been to one Hmong village close to Wiang Pa Pao, but I don't remember the name...I think I need to get one of your maps! I think you told me once there's a store on the Gwan Phayao Lake that sells them - can you tell me the name of that store? Thanks.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Paul1212 wrote: Ok. I'll try to do that. Regarding the Hmong villages you're referring to - I don't think I'm familiar with them, but you've got me interested now. Is Phayao R1 the main road that runs from Phayao to Wang Neua? Actually, I've been to one Hmong village close to Wiang Pa Pao, but I don't remember the name...I think I need to get one of your maps! I think you told me once there's a store on the Gwan Phayao Lake that sells them - can you tell me the name of that store? Thanks.
Sounds like you need a map alright...
https://www.gt-rider.com/maps-of-thailan ... s-thailand

Coffee Corner in Phayao is the place where you can buy one.

Dec 28, 2008
Hey, David. I can't find Coffee Corner in Phayao. I seem to remember reading that it's on the Lake (Kwan Phayao), but I rode up and down the strip on the Lake a couple of times and didn't see it. Can you tell me where it's located?