Kawasaki Versys is here

Jul 25, 2010
When I bought my Ninja 650R from the Udon Kawasaki dealer, he was happy to supply and fit a Givi rack for a topbox, he also had the racks for the side cases in stock. I am sure the Chiang Mai dealer will be happy to do the same.
Thanks John, Kawaka CM will supply and fit but they are not sure when they will have the racks for the Versys. Jan, maybe Feb, they tell me. This hampers my travels somewhat so I was hoping to find a more immediate solution.
Perhaps I can get the 6n racks adapted by some local shop but that could be looking for trouble!

Dec 27, 2007
Versys vid taken yesterday on Highway 12 heading east towards Lomsak-
[youtube:14ha87hi] /youtube:14ha87hi]
More to come :mrgreen:
Let the Good Times ROLL!
Tony
112710Rama9Bikes5SSR.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
ronwebb wrote:
When I bought my Ninja 650R from the Udon Kawasaki dealer, he was happy to supply and fit a Givi rack for a topbox, he also had the racks for the side cases in stock. I am sure the Chiang Mai dealer will be happy to do the same.
Thanks John, Kawaka CM will supply and fit but they are not sure when they will have the racks for the Versys. Jan, maybe Feb, they tell me. This hampers my travels somewhat so I was hoping to find a more immediate solution.
Perhaps I can get the 6n racks adapted by some local shop but that could be looking for trouble!
I had a rack custom made for a Givi top box for my ER6n in 2009 (before Givi had one available for the new model).
020509GiviInstallSm.jpg

It snapped and almost caused a wreck. :wtf:
If you have something custom made for your Versys keep a close eye on the materials and workmanship.
I could never fill up that 35 liter top box. I have no idea what you guys haul around in those massive panniers :wink:
I've always been able to get by with a pillion bag and tank bag.
Ride On!
Tony

Nov 4, 2010
Was at Kawa Rama 9 this morning, the black Versys with the "kawasaki/givi" panniers et al has gone and is now replaced with a red one all kitted out in SW Mototech gear available from Panda Rider:

Hawk headlights about 10,000 baht
Trax Topcase 19,000 - bracket 8000
Trax panniers 36,000 - brackets 13,200
engine guards (side) 8,000, frame sliders 5000, engine guard (sump) 10,000
wide footrests - 4,000 (these did look quite comfy)

Am not 100% sure that I liked it, great gear but ..........

Dec 27, 2007
Kawasaki Versys GoPro Bike Cam Video Route 2331 Petchabun Thailand Nov 28th 2010

[youtube:2pccy283] /youtube:2pccy283]

Woohoo! :happy5:

Let the Good Times ROLL!

Tony :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jul 25, 2010
I asked this question on the technical page - tyres, but got no response so trying again on what seems to be a more popular thread ......
Does anyone have any experience with Avon Pro Extreme as kawa recommended them to me for the Versys as they have no Pirelli Scorpion Trails?

Dec 27, 2007
ronwebb wrote: I asked this question on the technical page - tyres, but got no response so trying again on what seems to be a more popular thread ......
Does anyone have any experience with Avon Pro Extreme as kawa recommended them to me for the Versys as they have no Pirelli Scorpion Trails?
Did you check with the biggest Pirelli dealer in Thailand, ShowPow? Give Charlie or Ko a call, they speak perfect English and can overnight tires to anywhere in Thailand- 0890038886
Tell 'em Tony sent you! :happy5:

Jul 28, 2008
ronwebb wrote: I asked this question on the technical page - tyres, but got no response so trying again on what seems to be a more popular thread ......
Strange recommendation as the Avon Pro Extreme are a wet weather tyre, do what Tony says and try ShowPow, they should have either the Pirelli Scorpion Trail or Scorpion Sync in stock.

Jul 25, 2010
Did you check with the biggest Pirelli dealer in Thailand, ShowPow?
Yes thanks TonyBKK. Backdoorphil put me on to them and they said they will have stock most likely in Jan.
Strange recommendation as the Avon Pro Extreme are a wet weather tyre
Also thanks skybluestu as you are the only one who has commented on the Avons (other than Captain_Slash who said that hey were his tyre of choice in the UK). Kawa did tell me that the Avon Pro Extreme were very popular in the UK. Perhaps no wonder if they are for the wet! Scorpion Sync haven't come on my radar, so will have a look at that.

Jul 28, 2008
ronwebb wrote:
Did you check with the biggest Pirelli dealer in Thailand, ShowPow?
Yes thanks TonyBKK. Backdoorphil put me on to them and they said they will have stock most likely in Jan.
[quote:nhg79xuz]Strange recommendation as the Avon Pro Extreme are a wet weather tyre
Also thanks skybluestu as you are the only one who has commented on the Avons (other than Captain_Slash who said that hey were his tyre of choice in the UK). Kawa did tell me that the Avon Pro Extreme were very popular in the UK. Perhaps no wonder if they are for the wet! Scorpion Sync haven't come on my radar, so will have a look at that.[/quote:nhg79xuz]

Might be worth noting that the Avon Pro Extreme have been superceded so are no longer produced, the ones available in Thailand therefore may be quite old.

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
White wash completed (pearl white)

NK7_0954.jpg

NK7_0936.jpg

NK7_0946.jpg

No Versys sticker in black ... job done in airbrush

NK7_0924.jpg

Had to change my profile picture in the same run ... few changes, just age and the bike :)
... the boy is my (half Korean) grandson ... my son is already 40!

NK7_0967.jpg

NK7_0965.jpg

Nov 7, 2007
Thanks for the pix, Jürgen! Looks awesome, and you now have the only white Versys 2010 in Thailand :)

The air brush job looks great too. What kind of tires are those? I heard there's shortages on the Pirelli Scorpion...

Dec 27, 2007
Very nice Jurgen! :clap:

I also want to know what tires you've got- they look the business!

I'm headed to Laos on Friday on Bridgestone Battlax's because I can't find any Scorpions or MT60's anywhere in Thailand at the moment. ShowPow says they'll be getting more of both on the 16th of December.

Happy Trails!

Tony
KhaoKho39.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
nikster wrote: Thanks for the pix, Jürgen! Looks awesome, and you now have the only white Versys 2010 in Thailand :)
sdc13522.jpg

Jurgen's is not the only White Versys, but it's certainly VERY VERY sharp!

Jul 25, 2010
The bike looks great Jurgen. I asked the question..
with little response so please let me (and others) know how you go with these tyres.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Jurgen wrote: White wash completed (pearl white)

NK7_0954.jpg

NK7_0936.jpg

No Versys sticker in black ... job done in airbrush
NK7_0924.jpg
Jurgen
It looks fantastic. Very impressive with the white & black; & I assumed it was going to be all white. What you have there is brilliant.

BJ

Aug 27, 2008
Tony not sure if you have tyres yet but you could try
Damrong Yanyon
Ph 02 2223789 mobile 0816216663 the guys name is boy
I got some MT60s there the other day.
Not sure if he still has any but worth a try.
Hope you have a good and safe trip.

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
ronwebb wrote: The bike looks great Jurgen. I asked the question..
with little response so please let me (and others) know how you go with these tyres.
Hello Ron, I mounted them yesterday and they look quite nice, but I am by far not a "tester" and would be happy with everything giving me a sense of safety. They have a good report "under water", but mine might be worn out at the next rainy season.

this is one comment on the web

http://www.motorbikestoday.com/features/Articles/avon_wets.htm

Sep 7, 2010
I ordered my Versys from Mityon in Pattaya on 10 Nov. and was told at that time it would be 20 to 30 days for delivery. I called on 30 Nov. to check, and they told me no bike until 15 Dec. I called today (13 Dec.) to check again, and now they are telling me 'some time' around the end of the month. I'm getting really angry about this, but I suppose I should have expected this as Thai time is never even close to accurate. What makes it even worse is that I sold my Phantom on 15 Nov. and have been bikeless ever since. Between the anxiety of waiting for the new bike, and the withdrawal of not having any bike, I'm at wits end to say the least

What I am wondering is if anyone else is experiencing this level of delay with their order, or is Mityon just yanking my chain.

Nov 7, 2007
salbrecht;262660 wrote: I ordered my Versys from Mityon in Pattaya on 10 Nov. and was told at that time it would be 20 to 30 days for delivery. I called on 30 Nov. to check, and they told me no bike until 15 Dec. I called today (13 Dec.) to check again, and now they are telling me 'some time' around the end of the month. I'm getting really angry about this, but I suppose I should have expected this as Thai time is never even close to accurate. What makes it even worse is that I sold my Phantom on 15 Nov. and have been bikeless ever since. Between the anxiety of waiting for the new bike, and the withdrawal of not having any bike, I'm at wits end to say the least

What I am wondering is if anyone else is experiencing this level of delay with their order, or is Mityon just yanking my chain.

There are some indications the Versys is a bit rare now even though they certainly had enough to fill demand on day 1.

If it's too frustrating you could start calling around the country to see if other Kawa dealers still have a Versys to sell you. There might still be some out there, this has been covered either in this or another similar thread. You might have to travel cross county to get your bike. I am too lazy to re-read this thread now but one guy got his from Phuket so that may be a good place to start.

Of course your bike may yet arrive tomorrow - past experience shows that the Kawasaki dealers never really know when they'll get a new bike, until the day they take it off the truck. No point in harassing them about it - they can't tell you what they don't know - although, being Thai and wanting to please, they'd probably rather make something up than tell you they have no idea. It's the Thai way - you want to hear a date - they will tell you a date :p

Nov 7, 2007
Quick update on my V: Did the 1000km service, some kind of head mechanic from BKK happened to be visiting Chiang Mai and did it so I am sure it was done by the book 100%.

And the cover of the exhaust fell off somewhere on the road - it's gone. I don't know how that's possible - actually, I didn't even know there is a cover, I had just assumed it's part of the pipe or welded to it etc. Will try to get them to replace it under Kawa warranty. Looks horrible now :(

Nov 21, 2010
Makes me think of when I came back from a service-check (with my Ford Ranger) to find out that actually my gear-box was almost falling of my car. Most Thai mechanic think that a service-check list is to look to and write that it is all done. They are actually not doing all the things of the check-list. And I have seen a licensed mechanic dropping break-fluid all over the tyres, brake-system and whatever was nearby. When he saw my face you quickly started to spray water over it all.

So did you loose your cover before or after the 1000km service-check?
When a car/bike is sold ALL nuts should be checked. And at the 1000km again. I have here a Dealer-Service manual for Yamaha and I am 10000% sure not any dealer here in Thailand is really going to do what he should do according this kind of manuals.

Chang Noi

Nov 21, 2010
Long time for ordering? Well if you buy a popular product .... I had to wait bloody 2 months for my Toyota PreRunner .... because the f$%&^ did forget to order it!
But in that case I must say Toyota Thailand did a very good job, the dealer called me within 24h and offerd me a better deal and the exact date my car would be delivered. If Kawa-Thailand would care as much about his customers as Toyota-Thailand does then Kawa-dealer-ships would run much better. But I feel that they are just waiting until customers walk in to buy exactly what they want to offer.