Kawi are you listening

Nov 7, 2007
Hoghead;284159 wrote: But is it not a KLR that I want as the drawbacks are well known

From the OP :
"No sense in giving me a 20 year old KLR with FI. You need to stop dithering about and bring on a modern KLR styled bike with a Versys engine at a made in Thailand price."
Ok?! But wouldn't this fictional updated KLR be exactly the same as a Versys with a 19 or 21" front wheel? What's the difference?

Versatile...
mongolie-10-01.jpg

Jul 8, 2011
Ian Bungy;283918 wrote: I guess defining Off Road is like saying How Long is a Piece of String? Myself Personally don't like Single Track and fighting through Scrubby little Trails! Dirt Roads, Fire Breaks and the Likes are great Fun and No Dramas on a Big Enduro Bike like a 650 or 660. Roads in Neighboring Countries are in some Places in atrocious condition so a Bike like these are well suited. The Bikes like Versys. Multistrada and Triumph Tiger and the Likes are not!!! Sure You can take them but not much fun.
I agree with you Ian. You can never make a proper off road bike out of a Versys, 800GS, Multistrada, Triump Tiget etc. These bikes are road bikes that can do a little bit of flat dirt/gravel roads.

A KLR 660 and XT 660 are enduros who feel very happy off road. The are MADE FOR IT.

Dec 27, 2007
NickyBKK;284181 wrote: I agree with you Ian. You can never make a proper off road bike out of a Versys, 800GS, Multistrada, Triump Tiget etc. These bikes are road bikes that can do a little bit of flat dirt/gravel roads.

A KLR 660 and XT 660 are enduros who feel very happy off road. The are MADE FOR IT.

"KLR 660"? Maybe you mean Yamaha Tenere?

The KLR 650 isn't a dirt bike, it's described more as a 50/50 on/off road bike. While the Versys is more a 90/10 on/off focused bike.

I understand the OP's desire for a more off-road worthy bike at a made-in-thailand price, and there are ways to make a Versys more off-road capable, but no matter what mods you make, it's still going to weigh close to 200kg which, in my humble opinion, makes it far too heavy for any serious off road use.

For the price of a KTM 690 Enduro R in Thailand you can get yourself a Versys, a KLX and still have plenty of money left over to mod them to the gills.

Dec 27, 2007
nikster;284169 wrote: Ok?! But wouldn't this fictional updated KLR be exactly the same as a Versys with a 19 or 21" front wheel? What's the difference?

Versatile...
mongolie-10-01.jpg
^ This guys 22000km Versys ride is epic!

mongolie-12-08.jpg

mongolie-09-06b.jpg

Jul 8, 2011
TonyBKK;284387 wrote: "KLR 660"? Maybe you mean Yamaha Tenere?

The KLR 650 isn't a dirt bike, it's described more as a 50/50 on/off road bike. While the Versys is more a 90/10 on/off focused bike.

I understand the OP's desire for a more off-road worthy bike at a made-in-thailand price, and there are ways to make a Versys more off-road capable, but no matter what mods you make, it's still going to weigh close to 200kg which, in my humble opinion, makes it far too heavy for any serious off road use.

For the price of a KTM 690 Enduro R in Thailand you can get yourself a Versys, a KLX and still have plenty of money left over to mod them to the gills.

A KLX 250 is fun when your weight is 75 kg or so, not when your weight is 100+kg (my opinion). I owned one for a few weeks. A KLX 450, that would be a nice bike for me. A versys is a versys and will always be a versys. One of the best everyday bikes around. Nothing more, nothing less.

Modifying bikes ? Neeah, not for me. Like the original thing.

KLX 450
284402=13407-2012_Kawasaki_KLX450_KLX110_KX85_KX65_01.jpg

Dec 15, 2009
TonyBKK;284387 wrote:
And you still don't get the thrill of a whopping big thumper!!! It's almost as light as a KLX and almost as powerful as the Versys.

Dec 27, 2007
Not on a Yamaha;284410 wrote: And you still don't get the thrill of a whopping big thumper!!! It's almost as light as a KLX and almost as powerful as the Versys.
And so expensive that you never take it off road or out of the country... :roll:

Dec 15, 2009
TonyBKK;284413 wrote: And so expensive that you never take it off road or out of the country... :roll:
I don't own an Enduro R, but my good buddy does and he taken it plenty off road and out of country!
Is this about dirt?

Dec 27, 2007
Not on a Yamaha;284420 wrote: I don't own an Enduro R, but my good buddy does and he taken it plenty off road and out of country!
Is this about dirt?
Yes, I've ridden Frank's Enduro R and it's a cracking bike and he's not afraid to thrash it all over Thailand, Laos and Cambodia. My comment about not daring to go off road or cross borders was directed at you, not Frank :)

Dec 15, 2009
TonyBKK;284429 wrote: Yes, I've ridden Frank's Enduro R and it's a cracking bike and he's not afraid to thrash it all over Thailand, Laos and Cambodia. My comment about not daring to go off road or cross borders was directed at you, not Frank :)
Oh a jab at me. :)

Sorry, I don't own a dirt bike. Did try (Lat Krabang) on a motard, but slick like tyres kinda got the rectum going.
As for leaving the country, the bikes are financed and as I understand it, not allowed to leave Thailand.

SO I cannot judge whether it expensive or not, as I do not have the luxury of trying it out.

And you've seen my riding style up close. And there is certainly no doubt my bikes are not getting an easy life. Thus I have no problems dropping 600K on a KTM sumo to thrash around in Thailand. Or any other bike for that matter.

Dec 27, 2007
Not on a Yamaha;284446 wrote: Oh a jab at me. :)

Sorry, I don't own a dirt bike. Did try (Lat Krabang) on a motard, but slick like tyres kinda got the rectum going.
As for leaving the country, the bikes are financed and as I understand it, not allowed to leave Thailand.

SO I cannot judge whether it expensive or not, as I do not have the luxury of trying it out.

And you've seen my riding style up close. And there is certainly no doubt my bikes are not getting an easy life. Thus I have no problems dropping 600K on a KTM sumo to thrash around in Thailand. Or any other bike for that matter.
True, between blowing up your Tiger 1050, bowling the Street Triple down the road in Khao Yai and taking out the scooter in Kanchanaburi on your ZX10R it's fair to say that indeed your bikes are not getting an easy life. ;)

Shame you're not "allowed" to take your fancy financed toys out of the country. You're missing out on some great riding in Laos and Malaysia and I hear Cambodia's worth a visit too. :happy1:

Getting back to the OP, the nice thing about the Kwackers is that they're so cheap most of us just buy them cash and therefore don't need "permission" to take our bikes out of Thailand.

Dec 15, 2009
TonyBKK;284450 wrote: True, between blowing up your Tiger 1050, bowling the Street Triple down the road in Khao Yai and taking out the scooter in Kanchanaburi on your ZX10R it's fair to say that indeed your bikes are not getting an easy life. ;)

Shame you're not "allowed" to take your fancy financed toys out of the country. You're missing out on some great riding in Laos and Malaysia and I hear Cambodia's worth a visit too. :happy1:

Getting back to the OP, the nice thing about the Kwackers is that they're so cheap most of us just buy them cash and therefore don't need "permission" to take our bikes out of Thailand.
Yeah the bikes all have it hard. Tiger 1050 on it's second engine. The Ninja being dumped at racetracks numerous times. Ran out of talent on the Street Triple, broke my arm on that one. The SMC R trying to kill me every time I open the throttle.
As soon as my "fancy" toys are paid up, be no stopping crossing borders then.

Kawasaki make good cheap bikes and I have ridden them. KLX, D Tracker, ER6N. Pity, I cant get along with them, would have saved a bundle.
When I do cross the border. I want to do it on something that I enjoy.

I've just sent a letter to Santa asking for an Enduro R! :)

Nov 21, 2010
Is this a pissing contest?

As of Kawasaki and other bike manufactures I think they do not give a hoot about the market in Thailand, this could be an mistake in a country with 65mil. people and an increasing buying power. Like I said once I was talking with someone of Red Baron and he started to explain to me the numbers in Thailand and then it all makes a bit of sense.

Chang Noi