Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
:thumbup: Johnnysneds

Another absolutely brilliant write up.
Thanks a million.
You're a star on GT Rider.

I wonder what you could do with my young 290,000 kms AT....arh just dreaming.. ha. ha.

FrankT

Sep 10, 2010
I could not have asked for more Johnny but do I have the guts to do it all myself??
Think I better bring the bike to CM and try to bribe you with a few beers and do it together ;-)
Many thanks!
Frank

Jun 18, 2009
I have a Klx 250s done 10,000 km just wondering about checking valve clearences and should they have been checked by now as the last 2 years of Kawasaki services the guy has changed the oil and filter/tightened up the bolts and thats about it,
The bike has always had a bit of a noisey engine since running it in but i think as it has a standard exhaust it makes it sound worse i did have the copy leo end can on until it fell to bits and didnt hear anything as it was so bloo&y loud
Anyone who can direct me to a Klx 250s service manual link would be very helpful
Great bikes been stuck in muddy ditches and managed to drag the bike out after half an hour and still runs great

mickba

Jan 19, 2009
johnnysneds;267598 wrote: Firstly remove your rear rack if you have one. Then your seat and the left hand side panel.
Fantastic thread and brilliant de-restrict guide. Thanks very much.

I have a D-Tracker but same same.

I couldn't see the Co2 sensor on your modified exhaust. If you're running without one does it affect anything?
I'm collecting an Akrapovic system from UK in July, made for the KLX 250 and it has the sensor and a choice of 3 noise baffles, so hopefully that will work.
I also have a Yoshimura Tri-oval Race Can, which I'm planning to shorten and adapt. As with your can, it will be too noisy, so I'm bringing one of these back to try in it. LINK - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160580534006&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_3533wt_1139

I also want to bring back a Chain & Sprocket set - from another source I was recommended 13T & 50T (road use) - any comment?

Finally, has Ian Bungy done anything on here about the "power bomb header pipe"?

Keep up the good work and thanks again.

Oct 26, 2009
FrankT;267923 wrote: I could not have asked for more Johnny but do I have the guts to do it all myself??
Think I better bring the bike to CM and try to bribe you with a few beers and do it together ;-)
Many thanks!
Frank

Go for it Frank, its not too difficult, just take your time and follow the instructions and you'll be good.

Oct 26, 2009
rexnong;267994 wrote: I have a Klx 250s done 10,000 km just wondering about checking valve clearences and should they have been checked by now as the last 2 years of Kawasaki services the guy has changed the oil and filter/tightened up the bolts and thats about it,
The bike has always had a bit of a noisey engine since running it in but i think as it has a standard exhaust it makes it sound worse i did have the copy leo end can on until it fell to bits and didnt hear anything as it was so bloo&y loud
Anyone who can direct me to a Klx 250s service manual link would be very helpful
Great bikes been stuck in muddy ditches and managed to drag the bike out after half an hour and still runs great

Click on this link and it will download a KLX manual https://files.me.com/sned111/unol5d . Its for the carb models but basically everything else is the same. Section 4-15 describes how to check clearances. You should have had this checked before 10K. My KLX has just passed a hard 3K and I will be checking the valve clearances next time I do a service. I have an FMF straight through pipe fitted, as you say its that loud you don't notice the rattles from the engine :lol: I was out riding with a guy the other day who rented a KLX with over 50K on it and it still sounded ok, these engines are bullet proof.

Oct 26, 2009
mickba;268036 wrote: Fantastic thread and brilliant de-restrict guide. Thanks very much.

I have a D-Tracker but same same.

I couldn't see the Co2 sensor on your modified exhaust. If you're running without one does it affect anything?
I'm collecting an Akrapovic system from UK in July, made for the KLX 250 and it has the sensor and a choice of 3 noise baffles, so hopefully that will work.
I also have a Yoshimura Tri-oval Race Can, which I'm planning to shorten and adapt. As with your can, it will be too noisy, so I'm bringing one of these back to try in it. LINK - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160580534006&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_3533wt_1139

I also want to bring back a Chain & Sprocket set - from another source I was recommended 13T & 50T (road use) - any comment?

Finally, has Ian Bungy done anything on here about the "power bomb header pipe"?

Keep up the good work and thanks again.

O2 sensor is still fitted. I got the guy who made up the adapter for the FMF to weld on a threaded nut to accommodate the sensor. Your engine will probably run like a bag of nails without it!!

web.jpg

There's an exhaust place south Pattaya on the Sukhumvit Road (rhs as you travel south) they will sort your can out for you no problem.

Personally I would leave the gearing stock if you plan to use it mostly on the road. Not sure what the D-Tracker feels like stock but I think 13/50T would be too much of a change. You'll loose a lot of top speed and the D-Tracker hasn't got too much of this spare. 50T is for off-road to give you extra grunt to get up those tough hills. Sorry I cant recommend a good gearing ratio for the D-Tracker as Ive never had one. Maybe someone will chime in a give you some ideas.

Oct 26, 2009
Davidfl;267848 wrote: :thumbup: Johnnysneds

Another absolutely brilliant write up.
Thanks a million.
You're a star on GT Rider.

I wonder what you could do with my young 290,000 kms AT....arh just dreaming.. ha. ha.

WOW 290,000Km!!! sounds like your bike is going to go on and on forever, it appears the gods are looking after this one...............:happy5:

Great to hear bikes reaching these distances :clap:

Apr 28, 2011
My noob question:

Is the ECU on this KLX250S as robust as the carb in term of bike been drowning during river crossing?
I had this phobia of ECU short circuited while palying in the water......hehehehe......:D
Anyone care to share their experience on this please?

mickba

Jan 19, 2009
johnnysneds;268041 wrote: O2 sensor is still fitted. I got the guy who made up the adapter for the FMF to weld on a threaded nut to accommodate the sensor. Your engine will probably run like a bag of nails without it!!
There's an exhaust place south Pattaya on the Sukhumvit Road (rhs as you travel south) they will sort your can out for you no problem.

Personally I would leave the gearing stock if you plan to use it mostly on the road. Not sure what the D-Tracker feels like stock but I think 13/50T would be too much of a change. You'll loose a lot of top speed and the D-Tracker hasn't got too much of this spare. 50T is for off-road to give you extra grunt to get up those tough hills. Sorry I cant recommend a good gearing ratio for the D-Tracker as Ive never had one. Maybe someone will chime in a give you some ideas.
Thanks again for the photo walk through.

We did it this afternoon and what a difference in 4th, 5th & 6th.
I've only been to the fuel station (133 kph) and back (136 kph) where I'd usually be lucky to get a glimpse of 120 kph.
I haven't tried it on a clear road, so I imagine there's a little more still to come.
That's with a stock airbox and exhaust so it'll be interesting to see what difference the Akropovic and the Boss lid make.

I hadn't looked at the rear sprocket (42T) so I didn't realise the 50T recommendation was for off road. As you say, it seems like best to leave it stock.

Edit - saw 141 last night and it wasn't done yet.

Jul 4, 2011
johnnysneds;268041 wrote: O2 sensor is still fitted. I got the guy who made up the adapter for the FMF to weld on a threaded nut to accommodate the sensor. Your engine will probably run like a bag of nails without it!!

web.jpg

Hi, I finally got my FMF full system from USA, now I'll be looking for this exhaust place tomorrow. Any chance of a few more clues how to find it? I live near, but not in Pattaya. Know any of the major roads nearby?

Thanks in advance.

Oct 26, 2009
Hey Murray,

If you have the full system you should be able to get this fitted anywhere from someone with some mechanical knowledge or attempt it yourself. I'm assuming the system comes with the insert/hole to accommodate the sensor? If so it should be relatively straight forward. Did you get the headers as well?

Jul 4, 2011
Hi again,

I have no problem fitting myself, I just need the shop to weld a boss for the O2 sensor, as it's US spec.

Yep, Q4 end can with MEGA bomb header :smile1:

Oct 26, 2009
Murray122;270657 wrote: Hi, I finally got my FMF full system from USA, now I'll be looking for this exhaust place tomorrow. Any chance of a few more clues how to find it? I live near, but not in Pattaya. Know any of the major roads nearby?

Thanks in advance.
Not exactly sure of the location but its somewhere along the red line. Its relatively big and situated right on the main road.

web.jpg

Dec 15, 2011
Hi, i've got a klx250s, it is all original, but i am allways trying to discover a way to de-restrict it, because i know this bike have to much to give, i found on ebay, ecu, just change and done, but the price is a little high, and i don't know if it will give me problems later, i am still paying my bike, what is more safety, this manual mod or a new ecu, does any one know where or who i can buy an ecu already programed with safety? (sorry for my bad english)

Dec 10, 2011
I have so far rented 3 d-trackers in Thailand over the last coupe of years. First one I was thoroughly un-impressed with it which was last x-mas season. This year I rented another and it must have been de-restricted as the bike felt great compared to the last one I rented. Problem was that it was in a bad state of disrepair and I had to reurn it due to a worn out front sprocket. The bike they replaced it with felt horrible and therefore I supected there was some restriction and also some cheap quick method that a renter of one of these bikes could make. I am sure the last one I rented was no de-restricted by the rental place. I looked around and found this method and I was about to dive in and do it however I found a quick and easily removable method that works just as good:
http://www.svendura.de/tuning.html
After doing this 1 minute mod the bike now will do well over 130km/hr where it earlier would barely pull 120 with my heavy ass on it. Hope this helps alot of guys out!

Lakota

Subscribed
Oct 10, 2011
I did this little mod this morning. took less than five minutes, and seems to have released the rev limiter. not had chance to check the top speed, but It does rev a lot higher now. And its reverseable in seconds.

Amazing little Mod. Glad I didn't do the 'snip' or order a new ECU now .

Oct 26, 2009
Excellent. It looks like Kawasaki had plans to mount a selectable ignition map on the left side and decided against it for some reason and blanked it off with a dummy. Open circuit restricted, closed circuit de-restirct.

Lakota

Subscribed
Oct 10, 2011
johnnysneds;274898 wrote: Excellent. It looks like Kawasaki had plans to mount a selectable ignition map on the left side and decided against it for some reason and blanked it off with a dummy. Open circuit restricted, closed circuit de-restirct.

It wasn't blanked off as far as I can see it connects to a 3 spade block which is an intergral part of the Clutch handle/body. but only 2 spades visable on the wire.
So its most likely something to do with the Clutch operation . can clearly see a spring underneath which appears to opens when the clutch does , maybe some sort of switch , but why !? ..... maybe when the Clutch is out it turns off the rev limiter !?

Lakota

Subscribed
Oct 10, 2011
Well I got 125kph today, max was 115 before, although its not so important; what is important is the extra revs for hill climbs and overtaking.
I'm going to reverse the mod now just to make sure I'm not imagining it :think:

May 30, 2012
I wonder is there any way for the picture links to be fixed / updated? I'd really like to use this excellent thread as reference.

Thanks

Oct 26, 2009
Satonic;281226 wrote: I wonder is there any way for the picture links to be fixed / updated? I'd really like to use this excellent thread as reference.

Thanks
Apologies, all photos were linked to my MonileMe gallery and Apple have now discontinued the service.

May 30, 2012
johnnysneds;281227 wrote: Apologies, all photos were linked to my MonileMe gallery and Apple have now discontinued the service.
Thanks for the reply Johnnysneds.

That will be the 3rd time this week Apple has managed to make my life a little more difficult!