Laos Insurance Online

Discussion in 'Laos - General Discussion Forum' started by DavidFL, Feb 24, 2010.

1. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator Staff Member

If you're worried about getting your insurance for Laos at the border, then try this via email in advance

AGL Luang Prabang
    Telephone: +856 71 252560.
    Mobile: +856 20 5570078
    Fax: + 856 71 252 560
    Email: [email][/email]

Email Somphet, provide him with
    1. The details of your bike
    2. Number of days required

Then receive a quote to pay by money gram.
    Complete the payment.
    A insurance certificate will be issued.
    Collect the originals in Luang Prabang on the way through.

7 days = 32,000 kip
    15 days = 53,000 kip
    21 days = 74,000 kip
    1 month = 99,000 kip
    2 months = 127,000 kip
    3 months = 156,000 kip
    4 months = 184,000 kip
    6 months = 240,000 kip
    9 months = 325,000 kip

Current exchange rate approx 250 kip = 1 baht.

2. Loading...

3. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator Staff Member

Nope never had to use the insurance & hope I never do.
    The policy I understand is actually the 3rd party compulsory, but should you need to know more, email

Email: [email][/email]

and test him out to get all the right info direct from the houses mouth.

But the cost of the insurance is less than a bar fine in Chiang Mai, so it's not worth quibbling about. Get it!

Read this ... t1808.html
    to see what can go wrong.
  4. Auke

Auke Ol'Timer

I scanned in the back of the Motor Insurance Receipt. It shows the various options you can choose for the Third Party Liability Cover. Hope you can read it - the paper is very thin so could not scan it at very high resolution as otherwise the the front will show through. All insures sums are in Lao Kip.

5. Moto-Rex

Moto-Rex Ol'Timer

6. jimoi

jimoi Ol'Timer

Thinking about no insurance is a bad move - I'm not sure of his name but a rider from KL was in Laos around th 3rd of March and head on hit a truck outside of Luang Prabang totaling his bike and getting stuck with the police for damages to the truck.

It's cheap - get insurance. If you can't get a reply from the Lao insurance agent David listed, I'll do it as well.
  7. clevertrevor

clevertrevor Member

A small bunch of us are planning a trip into Laos for the first time for a 12 day trip on the 22nd of this month, from what i understand insurance is available when you cross at Chiang Kong, is that correct or could you get something in Chiang Rai for example ?

8. Auke

Auke Ol'Timer

You can buy the insurance in Huayxai at the place where you arrive with the ferry - if I am not mistaken, it is next to the customs/immigration. Look for the AGL sign.
  9. clevertrevor

clevertrevor Member

Thanks a lot for the information. :happy2: