Luang Prabang Restaurants

Discussion in 'Restaurants - Laos' started by DavidFL, Feb 11, 2009.

1. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator Staff Member

BREAKFAST
    In Luang Prabang & Vientiane.
    The GT Rider's favourite: Scandinavian Bakery

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In either place it is always one of the above three for brekky.

Fit for a captain?

2. Loading...

3. DavidFL

Wine Bar

The LP Wine Bar
    Sisavangvong Road
    Xiengmouane. Luang Prabang.

GPS Waypoint: N19 53.571 E102 08.309

[​IMG]

4. EdtheTraveler

EdtheTraveler Active Member

I had an outstanding dinner at the Blue Lagoon. The best salad I have had while in LP, main course was the Swiss Steak and Swiss potatoes and for desert Chocolate Mousse, it was all excellent.

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. DavidFL

[​IMG]
    The Scandinavian in Luang Prabang has moved & is now opposite Wat Senesouk.
    The location here is very good to see the early morning monk's alms round, plus get a brekky at the same time.

[​IMG]
    \The new Scandinavian location opposite Wat Senesouk

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  6. DavidFL

[​IMG]

Open till late in Lung Prabang
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

a cool place to relax & chill out after the walking street night market.

[​IMG] Opera Wine Bar

[​IMG] Opera Wine Bar

7. DavidFL

Viradesa Riverside Sunset Restaurant
    GPS Waypoint: N19 53.332 E102 07.852
    Best sunset spot in Luang Prabang.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Miss Noi, the Viradesa Sunset daughter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From the Oudom Souk gh, walk to the river, turn left -downstream & it is the 2nd restaurant on the river.

8. DavidFL

Phak Dee ex Soudaphone restaurant
    GPS Waypoint: N19 53.646 E102 08.200

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For me the best larb & spring rolls in Luang Prabang

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plus damn good baguettes

[​IMG]

Upstream from the Oudom Souk.
    Conveniently located between several massage shops, should you feel the need for a nice relaxing foot massage +.

9. Jurgen

Jurgen Ol'Timer

My selection of Luang Prabang’s food outlets is not a gastronomic highlights listing, but just a reference to a couple of hangouts that, for diverse reasons, I like to patronize when I stopover in the Royal City.

From my usual dwelling, the ‘Oudomsouk Guesthouse’, ‘’Joma Backery’ is conveniently located, just aroud the next corner. It offeres a good choice of bagels and other breadwares for breakfast, and was one of the first connected spot in town, a service wich, even in Laos, is now ubiquitous. During the day, it is also a convenient ‘pause café’ place , but can be crowed during the high season.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another GT-Rider’s breakfast favourite, is the 'Scandinavian Backery' at a slightly longer walk down Sisavangvong road (see David’s recommendation). Scandinavian, an all time GT-Rider favourite, is still a very popular place and, despite the incressed stroll, I like to visit it in the morning.

[​IMG]

Further down, on Sakkarine road, “Café Ban Vat Sene” is also a recommendable address. The owner being French, this restaurant is favored by a large francophone community. In addition to bread and sandwiches, the menu offers a choice of local and ethnic plates from tribes like the Hmong, Khmu and Lue; this makes it an interesting place also for lunch and dinner. Customers can browse through the latest news, not only online, but also by reading the provided English language Thai newspapers: Bangkok Post and The Nation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If Joma is crowded, or just for a change, I go to another ‘early bird’ café on Inthasom road, near to the Mekong. It is called “Saffron Espresso Café”, probably a branch of the original place, further up along the river’s bank. “Saffron” is also the brand name of the original coffee from Luang Prabang.

http://www.saffroncoffee.com/visiting-luang-prabang

As this place opens at six o’clock in the morning, it is a convenient observation point for the monk’s daily alms round.

[​IMG]

During lunch times, I like to sit at “L’Etranger’s” terrace, at the city’s others end, a friendly promontory to watch the amblers flow. Light meals, coffee …and lassi drinks, are available, as well as a collection of books to be rented or acquired.

[​IMG]

L’Etranger has the same owner as “Hive Bar” located just next door. In addition to enjoying food, I love to photograph their on stage ‘Ethnik Fashion Show’ featuring more than one hundred costumes from twenty different groups. They are elegantly presented on the catwalk by young student from different ethnies.

[​IMG]

http://www.hivebarlaos.com/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the evening, when I am not in a mood to walk far and want to enjoy the market’s atmosphere, I have a pizza, a couple of red wines and some pastry at “Indigo’s” terrace, an old hotel’s restaurant. There is nothing really to write about, but it is a convenient place to observe the flow of passersby, and to connect to the net, while swallowing some food.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.indigohouse.la/about.html

Another evening promontory, along Sisavangvong road, is the “Backery Guesthouse”. It offers a diversified menu but without ‘haute cuisine’ pretension. When people grump about prices (at that restaurant or somewhere else), I wonder why, to begin with, they chose that particular place; Generally, I see prices clearly displayed everywhere in Luang Prabang. When I dine in the “Backery”, I always find something that I consider of good value. Like at ‘Indigo’, at the other night market’s end, my main motivation to pause there is not only food: I like to watch the people’s flow and to connect to the virtual world.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.luangprabang-bakery-guesthouse.com/

Another GT-Rider’s recommendation, is the former' Phakdee' restaurant. It has been resettled, further up, along the Mekong rim. A billboard wears its former name, half covered with black tape; it is now just called “Backery Cafe”, as it is part of the adjacent Alounsavath guesthouse.

It is still a nice Mekong balcony restaurant with sandwiches, café and Lao food including the famous spring rolls (see former David’s recommendations).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DavidFL likes this.
  10. DavidFL

Le Banneton
    [​IMG]

French Cafe
    Brilliant cakes / pastries / breakfast

[​IMG]

The best in Luang Prabang
    [​IMG]

Highly recommended.

Location: in the main street SakkalineRd. Upstream opposite Wat Senesouk.

11. DavidFL

Another plug for the Viradesa Riverside Sunset,
    [list type=decimal]
    [*]the best sunset
    [/list type=decimal]
    [​IMG] Viradesa Sunset 21 December 2015

2. the best food? The Phak Dee Bakery used to be # 1 for me, but they seem to have had a change of cooks, so now the Viradesa gets my (& the GF's) vote for the best food.

[​IMG]

Favourite dishes in Luang Prabang

[​IMG]
    Fresh vegetarian spring rolls.

[​IMG]
    Larb Gai - minced chicken - spicy

[​IMG]
    Luang Prabang sausage

superior to anything you get in Thailand. The fresh salad vegetables in Luang Prabang really are amazing. Another fabulous absolutely scrumptious dish to try is a Luang Prabang salad. Sorry no photos as it was scoffed down as quick as on more than one occasion.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  12. DavidFL

The no name Lao Coffee & Baguette shop

By the river, on the corner  down from the post office is a dump of a looking  shop

[​IMG]

as grubby looking as they can get.

But it is famous & popular amongst the locals & Thais for an early morning cuppa - thick coffee, Chinese Yu Tiao dough sticks, some jok rice soup....

[​IMG] The Yu Tiao fast food brekky line up ready to go for the masses.

Feed the monks in the morning & then hit the riverside for some thick coffee & Yu Tiao,

[​IMG]

the foggy morning view

[​IMG]

the baguette line up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

check it out sometime. It's worth a go once or twice.

13. DavidFL

The Phak Dee Bakery has moved upstream & is now opposite the Alounsavath guesthouse.

[​IMG]

14. DavidFL

If you're travelling with a Thai lady, then it maybe helpful to know where to get the best noodles & somtam

Reuer Luang

[​IMG] Reur Luang restaurant - Luang Prabang

The noodles

The somtam comes from right next door

[​IMG]

& is an absolute winner too I believe

[​IMG]

A definite winner, because the little lady went for a second!!

GPS Location: N19 53.727 E102 08.395 on the premises of the old Tamarind Restaurant

Now for Lao - Pho noodles - the#1 place is in the main street, just up from the Scandinavian Bakery

[​IMG]

a hole-in-the-wall shop, but extremely popular. People start queuing at 7.15AM & often by 10AM, they have sold out.

[​IMG]

15. DavidFL

The Chiang Inn
    [​IMG]

the best cuppas in Luang Prabang, expertly made
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

check em out for “high teas or coffee.”
    GPS: N19 53.689 E102 08.466

16. DavidFL

Fahrenheit Pub
    IMG_7006.JPG

a smart new pub, run by some Vespa guys in Luang Prabang.
    IMG_7005.JPG

Jazzy - folksy orientated
    IMG_7008.JPG

IMG_7007.JPG

The guys get together & jam late at night
    DSC_1709.JPG

Location Manomai road, just past Wat Mano