mae hong son loop

paulsiamsj

Jul 28, 2022
Is the Mae Hong Son loop safe during Songkran festival days? I know that I would avoid all main highways during that time, but wondering what the traffic (or drinking) at that time of year would be like??

Thanks
Paul

Last edited by a moderator:

Heineken

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Mar 2, 2019
I dont think any road in Thailand is safe over Songkran, drinking and driving is very common in Thailand and is a big part of the issue, plus you are going to get water thrown over you.......................only last year I was riding through a small village on my X-Max and got a full bucket of water thrown at me, when doing 70kmh it hit me with some force.

If you cannot reschedule the ride I would still go and be very careful, not sure how much riding you have done in Thailand ?............................just be aware oncoming vehicles cutting the corners, vehicles pulling out from side roads, dogs and cows etc and obviously getting water thrown over you.

Saying that Songkran is a fun time of year with most people very happy and you will find it very hard not to participate, so just join in the fun ;)

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
I dont think any road in Thailand is safe over Songkran, drinking and driving is very common in Thailand and is a big part of the issue, plus you are going to get water thrown over you.......................only last year I was riding through a small village on my X-Max and got a full bucket of water thrown at me, when doing 70kmh it hit me with some force.

If you cannot reschedule the ride I would still go and be very careful, not sure how much riding you have done in Thailand ?............................just be aware oncoming vehicles cutting the corners, vehicles pulling out from side roads, dogs and cows etc and obviously getting water thrown over you.

Saying that Songkran is a fun time of year with most people very happy and you will find it very hard not to participate, so just join in the fun ;)

200% agree with Heineken. Don't ride at Songkran, stay home, stay safe.
If you insist on going to MHS, then take the back roads.
Use Samoeng - Wat Chan - Pai,
Mae Wang - Doi Inthanon - Mae Chaem - Khun Yuam.
Try to avoid all the roads with lots of villages, as much as possible.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
From April 11 to 17 of 2023, 469 people were killed in road accidents in Thailand during the Songkran holidays which take place on April 13 to 15 each year. The highest number of deaths dated back to 2018 with 679 people killed.

Another source says this
1707385821135.png