My 1984 MTX 200 project bike is finally done !!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion / News / Information' started by rhiekel, Apr 23, 2014.

1. rhiekel

rhiekel Ol'Timer

Bike was a lot of work , but in the end worth it. A lot of fun to ride,
    with wheelies in first three gears. Just finished putting on the front
    forks from a DR 200, so now the bike finally stops. The former
    front drum brake seemed to be just for decoration...
    It is 28 horsepower, and about 110 kilos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is how the bike looked when I first got it. It had a 125 engine with a bad second gear, so
    I bought a 200 engine from Japan, and then swapped it in. Both engine use the same mounts.

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. John Aero

John Aero Ol'Timer

Rhiekel, nice project! MTX125 were standard rental bikes in Phuket in the 80's, I used them regularly when on R&R from Singapore doing some very nice trails round the island with my wife on the back, had a few "offs" that's for sure. Lots of them were in poor condition and would overheat on steep sections. Have a snap from that time of me in "The Expat" with a good new one outside. Nice light bike. I have recently seen one, possibly a 200 as rear tyre size looked bigger than the 125 in my photo, outside a bike shop in Krabi town - not yours? Like the RAM ball mounted on top of brake reservoir, the four prong thing on headstock is for a phone or GPS - where did you get it?
    John

4. rhiekel

rhiekel Ol'Timer

Haha yes I see you know the bike. It does tend to overheat on long hill climbs, so I put in
    a small electric fan behind the radiator with a handle bar mounted on / off switch. So
    if there are some hill climbs coming up I just flip it on. The RAM ball mount on the brake
    reservoir is used as a camera mount. The four prong thing is a RAM X mount. Squeeze the
    arms slightly together, and it will lock an IPhone very securely in the mount. I just got
    tired of buying Garmin GPS units, so now I just use my phone. Trick is to buy a
    waterproof case for your phone such as the Survivor...
    [​IMG]

5. Moto-Rex

Moto-Rex Ol'Timer

What a ripper. Looks great mate.

Cheers Rex

6. rhiekel

rhiekel Ol'Timer

Thanks !!! As I said , it was a lot of work to get it done. Being thirty years old, it
    becomes very tough to get parts . I did get a lot of help from the MTX club here in
    Thailand. I look forward to going on a ride with them..
    Bike does take a different riding style though. Cannot sort of tractor it up hills like
    a four stroke bike. You really need to attack the hills to keep the rpms in the upper
    part of the power band.

7. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator Staff Member

Congratulations Robert. You're quite the man fixing & fiddling with bikes alright.
    Well done.