New Year Traffic Mayhem - please take care

Discussion in 'General Discussion / News / Information' started by DavidFL, Dec 30, 2013.

1. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator Staff Member

Only day 3 & 161 dead....4 more days to go!

PLEASE TAKE CARE if you're out there travelling on the road.

2. Loading...

3. TonyBKK

TonyBKK Ol'Timer

New Years in Bangkok- cool weather and no traffic! Phetchaburi:
    [​IMG]

Asoke-Phetchaburi:
    [​IMG]

Asoke-Sukhumvit:
    [​IMG]

Ah, if only the streets were like this year around! :happy1:

4. nikster

nikster Ol'Timer

Good point, actually, NYE is a good time to go to Bangkok 555

Pai is mobbed by tourists, seems like way more cars and fewer minivans this year. The town is grid-locked throughout the day. Traffic jams on the road from Chiang Mai - Pai. On a bike it's fine if you're OK with overtaking hundreds of cars. In a car that trip is now about 5 hours instead of the usual 2 1/2.

5. Ian Bungy

Ian Bungy Ol'Timer

The Mae Rim to Samoeng Road came to a Standstill Yesterday both ways!!! Busiest I have ever seen it. Lots of Bangkok Cars so indeed that would seem to be the Place to go while they are all up here!

6. TonyBKK

TonyBKK Ol'Timer

^ Who'd have thought you'd have to go to Bangkok to escape the crowds?! Bangkok hotels are quite empty and many are running very good New Year holiday promotions right now.

Wireless road near the US embassy earlier today:
    [​IMG]
    Almost creepy how empty the streets are!

7. DavidFL

8. DavidFL

The Mae Rim mayhem - vehicles all heading for the city for New Year.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Power On. sent from Sony Xperia AcroS

9. Hoghead

Hoghead Ol'Timer

Mae Rim is a cluster f@#k between Bungys place and mine - gridlock with every BKK car on my road!!! Both ways and not just the one way to the city as David shows
    Cannot even get out and had to ride the maids scooter the wrong way back from Macro to buy booze for the Ambassadors party tonight
    Bugger and I wish they all would go home as it is like this every holiday

10. Franz

Franz Ol'Timer

My own private rule of the thumb is: get all my purchases done before the mayhem starts and then stay home during the holidaying period or travel abroad if weather there permits a snowfree holiday such as during Songkran in April. Through this I save my nerves & temper from boiling over, my body from injury and my 2 or 4 wheeled transport from costly repairs. It's just not worth the effort and time, I rather spend time with my partner, family, doing some repairs/services or reading a good book at home as being stuck in traffic for hours. I think this will get worse in the coming years as understandably BKK people are only too happy to escape the daily mayhem there only to find themselves being stuck in one big jam from Rangsit to Fang again.....

11. DavidFL

An early reminder for the next New Year; Chinese New Year 31 January 2014.
    Nowhere near as bad as the New Year just passed, but still another very busy time & this time maybe busy with convoys of Chinese cars.
    Take care.

12. Hoghead

Hoghead Ol'Timer

Wonderful - Chinese drivers