no road curtesy for mc's

Jan 2, 2011
I took a 130km trip to a waterfall and a dam north of Chiang Mai and south of Phayao, and I noticed as always that car drivers are resentful and hostile to motor cycles that are not off to the side in the motor cycle lane. This is true despite my speed being equal to theirs, so I am not holding them up, and in fact at times I wind up passing them later on. What goes here?
William

Maaka

Jan 5, 2011
its just the way it is William..welcome to thai motoring..they will drive right over you given the chance. no such thing as curtesy on thai roads

Jun 14, 2009
Maaka;263651 wrote: its just the way it is William..welcome to thai motoring..they will drive right over you given the chance. no such thing as curtesy on thai roads
Pretty much agree wih Maaka...

Jun 28, 2010
It`s funny,the Thais will give you the sawadees and wai and treat you with respect.

But get them behind the wheel of a car and they`ll run over the top of you or terrorise you like you`re not even there.

Oct 17, 2006
They have NO respect for other road users ...also FACE is a BIG problem , my ducati can do 240kmh+ Thai cars and pickups run out of steam at 180kph i often overtake slower vehicles only to find them 5 minutes later up my BUM so I open the throttle and put a fair distance say 1km ahead and slow to sanity speeds then a few minutes later they are back up my backside honking horns and flashing lights again , if i let them pass they usually slow down and then become an obstacle again.

So what do i do? i ignore them and just go at a speed comfy to me and judge the risks each time .

Jan 2, 2011
Yes, I have had the same experience. But how do I account for the fact that in four years not one Thai driver has pulled out onto the road in front of me. And I definitely feel safer riding here than in USA where the people are old and do not see me or do not care even if they do. Here I imagine most car/truck drivers have graduated from two wheels and so have a sensitivity to all the two wheeled people. And my experience with Thai people has been very favorable over the years. I married one.

Dec 15, 2010
I'm riding only for a little time a bike in Thailand, but for quite a time I drove Cars here. In fact it's true that if on a bike, the act like you're not there, means pulling out to overtake, forcing you to the very left of the road with all the potholes and debris who might be there. The worst (as a car driver) you can encounter are this f...... Van drivers who come most times in groups, followed by Bus or Truck drivers in no particularly order.
The Thais MC's must feel somehow the same way, otherwise I can not explain why they put always the right turn signal, but keep left and let everything pass, makes me sometimes crazy, never knowing what they have really in mind.

CeiDuc

Dec 15, 2009
monsterman;264563 wrote: They have NO respect for other road users ...also FACE is a BIG problem , my ducati can do 240kmh+ Thai cars and pickups run out of steam at 180kph i often overtake slower vehicles only to find them 5 minutes later up my BUM so I open the throttle and put a fair distance say 1km ahead and slow to sanity speeds then a few minutes later they are back up my backside honking horns and flashing lights again , if i let them pass they usually slow down and then become an obstacle again.

So what do i do? i ignore them and just go at a speed comfy to me and judge the risks each time .

I generally leave them in my dust, but still aware of the Kamikaze drivers who like taking the Formula 1 line through the corners in the opposite direction on occasion.