North West down to VTE Dec 08

Discussion in 'Laos Road Trip Reports' started by AussieNat, Dec 2, 2008.

1. AussieNat

AussieNat Member

Hello
    First post and I must say some good info here.
    My girlfriend and I, 2up on a Honda CT110 will be entering Laos in a week or so (Dec 08) and we have a few questions that I have been unable to find answers to here on GT.
    The bike is registered in my name in Australia, I have the papers and a Carnet.

Are we able to get visas on arrival entering Laos at Huay Xay?
    Are the border/offices open on the weekend?

Our planned route is
    Huay Xay - UdomXai - LP - Phonsavan - VV - VTE

Firstly can anyone tell me what are the maximum altitudes we will experience riding the main routes between these towns? The reason I ask is our little bike struggles in altitudes over 2000m and I want to prepare.

Secondly Ive been told unfriendly men with rifles patrol route 7 around Phonsavan. Is this current info? I really want to check out the "plain of jars" but the bike just isn't fast enough to outrun bullets.

Thirdly we don't mind a bit of rough riding but I would like to stay away from deep sand and mud... These routes that bad?

Thanks

2. Loading...

3. jimoi

jimoi Ol'Timer

Visa upon arrival is no problem and the border is open 7 days.

You will hit a few elevations over 2000 meters between Luang Prabang and Phou Khoum but not much more than this and only for a short time.

If you ride out to Phonsavan and back, I don't think anyone will shoot at you unless you fire first.

There is no mud on the main highways you are on and only if you venture further south than site 1 Plain of Jars.

Enjoy your ride!

4. AussieNat

AussieNat Member

Thanks a lot Jim.
    We are heading off tomorow.
    Will keep your advice close at hand.

N+A