Ride Report Bueng Kan

Discussion in 'North-East Thailand Road Trip Reports' started by ray23, Oct 23, 2008.

1. ray23

ray23 Ol'Timer

Not going to drive anyone crazy with road numbers. Simple stuff left Udon went to Nong Khai hung a right and followed the Mae kong down.

These rides ar full of surprise, first one was running across Marco at a service station. 20 klms later we had another. we had new rider to us in on the ride, American guy who had just gotten married. We had no idea where we were going to stop. Turns out we stopped for lunch in her home village and the guy got to meet some inlaws :lol:

The restuarant w nice and right on the river. I saw more jungle on the Lao side then I had seen anywhere before.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. ray23

ray23 Ol'Timer

The party they did a good job for such a small group, had live entertainemnt. Cost was 300 baht but that included all the food you wanted to eat and a never empty glass. Had best lop I have ever had there, turns out it was made from duck.

We had a hotel but they found us one closer for less money, can't complain about that Good Hosts and there was fun to be had.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. ray23

ray23 Ol'Timer

For me the highlight of the trip was the stop at Puu Tock (spelling?)

From Bueng Kan yuo take 222 south to Si Walli, make a left and out to the boon docks. There are signs but as I recall they are in Thai. It's roughly 20 Klms to the cliffs and the roads are real IFFY but worth it.

There Are actually seven levels each representing the Budhist journey. The more adventerous made it to the level five. Me I found a nice flat rock at the bottom and did some cloud watching. Beleive me it is a serious climb my wife could not walk the next day.

Amazing to see how they have built the walkways up the verticle ckliff not to mention the buildings. This a worth while see if you get the chance

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. ray23

ray23 Ol'Timer

I'm a sick puppy got the biggest kick out of this sign. I didn't have any shoves so I didn't have to do anything. It was in front of the rest room and must have said the same thing in Thai as the floors were mud covered :lol:

Any of you guys who went to the fifth level plaese add your comments. I can't write about what I didn't do :wink:

[​IMG]

6. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator Staff Member

Nice one Ray. Looks like you guys certainly had a good time.
    The pix of Puu Tock (spelling?) make it look like a place worth visiting & attempting to climb. I never knew about that one, so thanks for the tip off.

Since you guys were in Bueng Kan, have you ever considered a Vientiane loop ride?
    Enter Laos at Pakxan from Bueng Kan, ride up to Vientiane, overnight there, then ride back out to Nong Khai across the Friendship bridge.
    It should be a great little 2 night 3 day excursion, with overnight stays in Pakxan & Vientiane. Easy! And that would really be something new for you guys to do.

Get a Lao visa in Khon Kaen.
    Ferry service Beung Kan - Pakxan runs Monday - Friday, no weekend service. Cost 500 baht a bike?
    Lao bike entry fees should be 200 baht a bike.

Think about it.

7. Marco

Marco Ol'Timer

Good one Ray

And nice photos and lot of Climing,,,,it's looks to be quite high, how long it took you guys to go to top?

8. ray23

ray23 Ol'Timer

I have no idea Mrco how long it woudl take to gte o the top, the highest anyone wnet wa to level five and there are seven. The higher you go the more narrow and unstable things look LOL level five up and back about two hours.

Great idea David thanks. Most of the guys don't have books on their bikes, but some do.

9. Marco

Marco Ol'Timer

David

How are the road on tha LAO route? i'm intrested as well, but there is huge limitations for my LT,, so i need to know if there is even distant possibility...

Ray

Wow,, 2hrs, good exercise,, but looks really worth to visiti next time when we are up there.

thanx for good report again.