Ride Thailand with Foreign Plates?

Discussion in 'Northern Thailand - Road Trip Reports' started by beattheswiss, Oct 20, 2008.

  1. beattheswiss

    beattheswiss Ol'Timer

    A friend of mine is on a trip around the world and has shipped his bike with the Swiss plate. Can he ride it in Thailand like this for the few weeks that he plans to spend here? If not, what are the formalities involved in obtaining temporary Thai plates?
  2. Loading...

  3. Pikey

    Pikey Ol'Timer

    Hi Beat,

    Not done it personally but yes, it's possible to do a temporary import at the border to bring a bike in. I think the initial permit is for a month but can be extended at a customs office. No carnet required - self guarantee. More info available on this website if you go to the main pages (outside the forum).


  4. DavidFL

    DavidFL Administrator Staff Member

    I think he should take a look at these




    http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorc ... t4319.html
  5. beattheswiss

    beattheswiss Ol'Timer

    You dudes rock!! Thanx a lot!
  6. burnjr

    burnjr Ol'Timer

    hi beattheswiss
    nice to meet u during our trip to laos last year..u with ur thai wife...at chiang kong,,but unfortunately we cannot ride to luang prabang due to ur bike paper...

Share This Page