Shipping Bikes via Thailand Post

Apr 20, 2009
I recently sold my ER6n to TonyBBBKK, and on the advice of several people I shipped the bike to BKK through the post office. Thought I'd share the experience.

Shipping was a piece of cake. I drove the bike to the post office near Wat Phra Singh, and they had me ride it up the ramp and directly into the elevator. I took it up to the second floor and parked it in the sorting room. Filled out about 5 minutes of paperwork, paid about 2500 baht and that was it. The officer informed me that they would wrap the bike for me and secure it to a palette, nothing else for me to do. I had a tracking # to check the status on the internet.

So a week passes, and as I was passing through Bangkok anyway, I stopped by Tony's house and we went to the post office to pick up the bike together. I was shocked at the condition of the bike when it arrived.

When I shipped the bike, it looked like this: ER6n Pics

When it arrived this is what we discovered:

Deep scratches on the tank.
Damage-3.jpg

Damage-19.jpg

Damage-16.jpg

The grip was cut to the metal and the bar end was scratched up.
Damage-6.jpg

The windscreen, which is solidly built, was bent several inches to the side. They must have dropped it into something.
Damage-4.jpg

Both wheels had metal gouged out of them. I think they cinched the buckles down unprotected on the wheel.
Damage-13.jpg

Damage-10.jpg

Plastic melted onto the pipes and dripped down onto the paint
Damage-8.jpg

More damage to the paint.
Damage-14.jpg

As you can guess, I was pretty upset. I had no choice but to give Tony a large discount on the price of the bike to make the repairs, and hopefully I can get some of it back from the post office. When we tried to make a claim, they wouldn't take responsibility for the damages. They claimed that Thailand Post doesn't work that way, we have to make the claim with the Chiang Mai branch.

Maybe Tony or I will write more later about the claim, if it comes to anything. For now, I'm really pissed off with the way the post office handled it. It's not that they dropped and damaged the bike as much as that they wouldn't take responsibility for it and punted us off to someone else. I don't see why the Chiang Mai post office is any different from the branch in BKK, Thailand Post is Thailand Post. They also played dumb for a bit like they didn't realize the bike was damaged, like they hoped we wouldn't notice or something.

Anyway, I'm wishing I had just ridden the bike down and delivered. I won't make that mistake again.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Shyte! That's terrible & I'd be extremely pissed off. Have you been to the Cnx office yet? If you don't get any satisfaction at the Wat Phra Singh P.O., you could try bitching at the main mail exchange on Mahidol road, just up from Samoto. Good luck, but I wouldn't expect much in the way of financial compensation.

Apr 20, 2009
Yea, I don't have my hopes up either. I'll head down to the office this week, I haven't gone yet because I've been laid up the last few days. Had a minor crash down in Hua Hin and road rash is slowing me down some. If we eventually get any compensation either Tony or I will post something and let you know how it turned out.

Apr 20, 2009
backdoorphil wrote: PROBLEM IS THAT YOU DON'T SIGN OFF ON THE CONDITION OF THE BIKE BEFORE ITS SHIPPED
so the damage isnt provable.
We did an inspection at the post office prior to shipping the bike and the condition of the bike is noted on the shipping papers. No one is denying the damage (yet). Getting full payment for all the damages is another thing.

We'll see how it goes though. You never know, sometimes people surprise you.

Dec 27, 2007
backdoorphil wrote: PROBLEM IS THAT YOU DON'T SIGN OFF ON THE CONDITION OF THE BIKE BEFORE ITS SHIPPED
so the damage isnt provable.
Um Phil, did you mean to ask a question rather than make a statement? Or do you know something that we don't??? When the bike was shipped the Thailand Post noted one scratch on the headlight. Other than that the bike was in perfect condition until the Thailand Post got their paws on it... :thumbdown:

If I had to guess I'd say the bike fell off the shipping pallet while in transit. The fact that the Thailand Post tried to deliver it "as is" without even acknowledging the fact the bike was damaged in transit was quite disappointing. Not clear what their liability is. Will submit the claim to my local post office and they say they will forward it to the shipping post office.

Like Liam said- I don't know why it matters- Thailand Post is Thailand Post- they should damn well take responsibility for messing up the bike and cover the damage. I'm not holding my breath though. :?

Dec 27, 2007
backdoorphil wrote: Tony
When I posted mine there was no recording of condition before posting, a statement I suppose
Did you fill out the Logispost shipping form or did a Thai friend or the post office help you? Can you read Thai? I ask because the Logispost form includes a section where the post office notes the condition of the bike and any pre-existing damage. FYI :happy5:

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
Sorry to hear what happened, it really hurts to see deep scratches on a bike that has been well taken care of! The photos made me whince. Obviously the bike came loose and smashed into something, and the straps on the wheels weren't tight and rubbed the paint off. Seems like some people were not doing their job professionally.
When I shipped my VTR250 from Hua Hin to Chiang Mai it was bubble wrapped at extra cost (200 B) and I made a show of taking lots of photos, close-ups of tank and muffler. The guy I dealt with didn't speak much english and I speak even less thai; I signed some paperwork but don't know what it said. When I asked for insurance they just said I don't need it. I insisted and it took some time for them to come back with an answer. I said I want to insure the bike's value which was 50,000 B - they said that's impossible, said 20,000B would be the limit. Had the feeling they grabbed that number out of the air. Paid about 200 B for the insurance.
Fortunately the bike arrived in perfect condition so I don't know if the insurance would have paid in case of damage. What I learned here in TH is that they promise anything as long as the deal is not closed and the money isn't paid; after that it's a different story.
Interestingly they told me the bike would be transported by truck, not by train.
The molten plastic on the headers means that they fired the bike up - for what reason?
I wouldn't give up, I'd go the highest places, show them the photos and threaten them with a lawsuit.

Dec 27, 2007
Well, all's well that ends well, in your case anyway. Prior to this terrible experience I'd only heard good things about shipping bikes via Thailand Post. But this ~20000+ Baht clusterfook has obviously given me pause for thought.

Will wait and see how the Thailand Post handles the claim before I pass final judgment, but based on the initial bored reaction / handling by my local post office here in Bangkok I'm not expecting much...

I'm bummed that Liam has had to eat a 20000 baht loss pending possible reimbursement by the Thailand Post and I'm bummed that the bike, which was in pristine condition before, is now all f-cked up due to the carelessness of the Thailand Post. The custom paint on Liam's ER6n was (is) very nice but now that the tank is all messed up I think re-spraying it to match the rest of the bike is going to be rather difficult...

The Givi screen is all bent out of shape and has a nice scuff on it from when the bike fell over. I'll have to try and find a metal shop that can bend the bracket back into shape. Autoshop can probably buff the screen back into shape.

Everything can be repaired or replaced, it's just a time consuming PITA and I remain doubtful that the Thailand Post will reimburse us for the cost of the damage they caused.

Lesson learnt!

Ride On!

Tony

backdoorphil wrote: A thai friend shipped mine for me, he said he had not signed off on pre shipping condition, that did worry me at the time

[quote quote=TonyBKK][quote quote=backdoorphil]Tony
When I posted mine there was no recording of condition before posting, a statement I suppose
Did you fill out the Logispost shipping form or did a Thai friend or the post office help you? Can you read Thai? I ask because the Logispost form includes a section where the post office notes the condition of the bike and any pre-existing damage. FYI :happy5:

Apr 20, 2009
KZ wrote: ...The molten plastic on the headers means that they fired the bike up - for what reason?...
Yea, the bike was well and cool when I left, so someone did start it afterward. The thought of some idiot starting the bike just to rev the cold engine, and somebody dropping the bike, causing obvious damage and then playing it off like nothing happened makes me want to go in there and punch someone in the face!

I can't think that way though, you gotta laugh these things off or you'll go crazy living here. TOT. :crazy:

Sep 4, 2007
Sorry to hear about your troubles and sad damage to a well cared for bike. Maybe somebody started it up, melted the straps where they went over the exhaust pipes so the bike was no longer secured properly and either then or maybe later in transit it fell over. Would it be possible to leave the steering unlocked, and refuse to leave the keys with them? May prevent some misuse.

Jul 6, 2004
That is a coincidence, I just mailed my old Dakar from Koh Samui to CNX. Total cost 4400bht.
Arrived at San Sai post office 5 days later, not a scatch.
A couple of things I do when shipping my bike.
1: definately no keys (don't tempt fate)
2: take off screens and mirrors
3: disconnect battery.
The bike has been successfully been from Aussie to Singapore twice, across the Malaca staights to Indonesia (a couple of scratches)
and from East Timor to Oz.
I guess you were just unlucky.

Cheers
Tom

Nov 7, 2007
wow, really sorry what happened here.
I have to say with all the Bikes i (well actually Tiger Motors) sent by Thaipost there was never damage like this (only one light damage so far, and that amongst appr 15 bikes in the last few months )...Thaipost have sometimes delays and wrong info given in where the final destination maybe ( specially on the islands ). But never anything like i see here...knock on wood.

That looks like they dropped the bike or something , hope you get some money for this damage.

mbox