Tachileik-Mae Sai Border Crossing

Discussion in 'Northern Thailand - General Discussion Forum' started by _Polar_, Feb 14, 2012.

1. _Polar_

_Polar_ New Member

Hi All

I am interested to know what is required to cross into Burma at the Tachileik-Mae Sai Border Crossing.

With the following: Singapore owned and registered Bike,Malaysian owned and registered Bike and a Thai rental bike.

Is anyone able to share their experience and knowledge.

My interest is to go for a short ride. Do I need a fixer/Guide? If so....any advice and how much?

It is possible that I have looked in the wrong places within this site.

Thanks

2. Loading...

3. It was quite easy in the past to enter for 14 days the Shanstaates, also with vehicles. But last week I tried it again and it has been changed badly.
    14 days for the person is still possible. But you need a guide, if you want to leave the Tachilek area. Costs 1000 THB/day. You must tell this the Imigration at the border first. You can NOT!! change your mind after a few days. in this case you have to leave Myanmar again and come back. But you can stay 14 days only in Tachilek without a guide (but who wants this?). We were by Thai registered car and this is only possible in Tachilek for longest 3 days. It was against their rules to drive a car by forengners, but I did. Only my Thai wife should drive the car. You need a few copies from the owner´s ID and the carbook. 30 THB here, another 10 there and again 30 somewhere else.
    For only driving on the ugly Tachilek market and beyond the procedure is not value.
    But I´m very sure, they´ll open the country for tourists in the future. Burma, specialy the Shanstaates are really very beautiful and lovely.

4. _Polar_

_Polar_ New Member

Thanks GPSThe requirement for a guide applies to all tourists regardless of transportation mode?Confirm that the bike is restricted to Tachilek only even if you were to have a guide?Apologies if I did not unstand correctly. Ok now.....When get in with my bike and a guide any recommendations on what to do and see?Cheers

5. _Polar_

_Polar_ New Member

Ok ....I did get go into Tachilek by using a guide. Very quick and easy.As the previous post states 30 baht here 20 there......plus the 1000 baht per day for the guide.....all good and happy to pay it. I had get my bike stamped out and back into Thailand. So it was certainly worth my time. My Burmese guide was very good as well his english was awesome. I could understand him better than many people that english as a first language. Next crossing will be at the Chiang Khong check point. Another day another adventure.

6. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator Staff Member

For a night in Tachilek with your bike check out this one

http://www.gt-rider.com/se-asia-motorcycling/topic/chiang-mai-tachilek-return