Too important to be overlooked / Legal protection

Aug 10, 2007
quote:

Originally posted by PICO-PICO

The submissiveness is part of the Thai-culture, that simply a fact--accepted.

But what to do if we get into real trouble?
You want to fight it and you want to have a non-submissive Thai laywer on your side. Such lawyers are around too.

Allianz Insurance is active here, but their web site is in Thai, I know they provide legal protection insurance , in Thailand too ??

New Zealand Insurance I could not figure out.

Lets assume that some 50% of the GTR bikers are interested in such cover I could imagine that we can get an insurance company interested, if such policy does not exist as yet.

Pico

Expat Liabilty Insurance can be found at www.e-insurethailand.com the website is fully in English. It provides up to 20,000,000 of liabilty protection. The cost is 3,000 baht per year, per family. For an extra 500 baht it also provides Workmens Compensation coverage for up to 2 maids.

Aug 10, 2007
quote:

May I suggest, David, we tackle this differently.
Any agent will get shinning eyes.

quote:

The agent should not ask What WE WANT , he and/or insurance companies should CONSULT what insurance is needed based on the cases that they see, cases which caused severe legal or expense problems for the insured person!!

We agree with PICO-PICO. In an ideal world that is the way it should be. Of course we don't live in an ideal world. Far from it. That is why www.e-insurethailand.com was created. They represent all 7 of the (non life) health insurance companies in Thailand. Since most people can't really afford all the health insurance that they would like to have,they certainly should know how to find the most coverage for the price that they can afford to pay. If you are interested in knowing that, go to E-Insure's website, tell them the month and year you were born, and they will e-mail you back a set of Health Insurance Plan Comparison Spreadsheets showing you the cost for each plan for your age, and your family's ages, if you want.

quote:

We all want maximum coverage but cant afford it, so what is an acceptable risk / premium ratio ?

Take the example of Health insurance
What do we know how expensive a major injury/ sickness can be ?

That was a question that bothered us too, PICO-PICO.
So we contacted the Insurance Billing Department at Bumrungrad International Hospital in Bangkok.

They told us that most of their high-end medical billing does not go over 900,000 baht. BUT, in the most serious situations requiring more than 3 months of hospitalization,requiring constant care and supervision, the cost can go up to as much as 8 or 10 million baht.

mind you most accidents happen at home, falling of a innocent ladder - both hipps broken,head bumped...... how much in expected health cost ? We should not look at biker accidents only.

What about long term illness, cancer, etc, what happens if the limit is used up under a Thai insurance, what happens then ? YOU ARE OUT ON THE STREET, not much social security here, right ?

Similar analysis is needed for third party, legal claims.

HERE IS MY SUGGESTION =

Get a group of 3 max. 4 people together who have some understanding of the issues and are willing to do the work.
I am happy to fly to wherever to sit down with the team / lawyers, insurance experts.

STEP ONE
COLLECT EXPERIENCES / input from people here on past insurance claims / problems.
A few have been mentioned here, a more detailed description of the nature of the problem may help.

STEP TWO
get consultancy from more than 1 insurance source on THEIR experience regarding
UNDER / OVER CoVERAGE

get consultancy from more then one lawyer

STEP THREE

solicit offers for a Group insurance.
Select the best deal based on premium plus applicable law

The end result can be very different from our wishes, as we go along and learn more.

Comments please

Pico

Oct 17, 2006
Thank you Tony,

the cost comparison should be of interest to most of us. Everybody can get his own assessment on indicative basis. This certainly helps to come closer to an educated decision as an individual.

Your info from Bumrungrad International Hospital in Bangkok is , for me at least a shocking eye opener.
We all believe such bad accident can never happen to us personally, only to some other guy out there.
Again the info is very helpful to come up with your personal risk profile.

Pico

Oct 17, 2006
QUOTE FROM TONYDABBS
Expat Liability Insurance can be found at www.e-insurethailand.com the web site is fully in English. It provides up to 20,000,000 of liability protection. The cost is 3,000 baht per year, per family. For an extra 500 baht it also provides Workmen's Compensation coverage for up to 2 maids.
UNQUOTE

Tony , this exactly were I would like some input from a qualified consultant, or whatever you want to call it.
Insurance business is driven by statistical probabilities.
What is the statistical probability that a 20 MM claim is lodged against one of us ? 2.000.000 in one ??
20 MM buys, sorry for the expression, about 20 lifes in Thailand. That is the figure I have heard. Again what are the unfortunate chances of causing such NON- bike / car claim ? Blowing up a hole Thai street block?

I want to be reasonably insured, not more not less, against the statistical odds of life. 20 MM sound impressive . I know that 5 MM will not be cheaper by 75%. But should 5 mm not be enough ? Again I am looking for an educated answer like you gave it in connection with the health insurance citing the Bumrungrad hospital.

1. In the end we are looking for a group insurance for different categories, health, bail, 3rd party. Does that exclude some of the insurer under www.e-insurethailand.com ??

Pico

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Just got my spread sheet from Tony at www.e-insurethailand.com
It included a 28 point explanation / comparison between companies & I am highly impressed with the wealth of info / comparisons.
For anyone who is confused or unsure, this is the way to go – get one of Tony's spreadsheets to clearly see what your options are.
Then all you need to do is make a decision which one to take, plus get some 3rd party liability with bail bond & you are “sweet.”

Oct 17, 2006
1. I like Tony´s knowledge of the market
Re: Tony Dabbs DEC 2006
Things have really been heating up this past year in terms of Thai-based health insurance options. For years, the only option most expats were aware of was BUPA. Of course, most were also aware of a number life insurance-bundled options, but not all expats qualified for them.

For the past couple of years, or so, Phil has been making the world aware of another option, Thai Health Insurance (THI). We checked them out and were very impressed with their Wealthy Healthy plans, as well as their Major Medicare plans. THI Wealthy Healthy became our leading insurance product, and still is. With all the new Thai-based health insurance options now available, Wealthy Healthy still provides the best value for most expats living on the Thai economy and earning Thai wages.

This past year NZI came in and started offering high quality InterGlobal international insurance as a Thai-based product. LMG came in offering very good high-end and decent low-end coverage that is renewable for life. AXA started offering good quality health insurance with a little lower top coverage and a little lower premium than THI. MSIG also arrived in Thailand offering a decent high-end product for a reasonably low price. They also offer 2 lower coverage plans. Now, a new Thai-based international heath insurance company has just arrived. It's called Premier International Healthcare (PIH). Its coverage competes well against against NZI and LMG.

Although not new, we have been gaining new found respect for BUPA Platinum as the next step up (coverage and premium wise) from THI Wealthy Healthy.
UNQUOTE

2. QUESTION TO TONY
a) How do you suggest going about GTR group insurance ( s)
A group would have to be with one and the same insurer for the same product to get the best possible premium, right ?

b ) please comment on my concern regarding legally binding documentation in English and governing law, you know best the small print is often the only one of monetary relevance.

Pico

Feb 21, 2006
You boys have done a cracking good job of this. I checked my policies and what’s missing is coverage for rental unit renewal/replacement.

What would happen if your favorite rental unit was ridden by another rider? And, what if that rider said that the rental unit rode like a starfish? Surely there must be coverage available for that.

It would be nice to have beer goggle coverage also. Do you know how it feels like when somebody throws a photo of a scruffy looking ride back at you and you say “I don’t remember that unit looking that bad…”

Oct 17, 2006
You may want to consider better / cheaper insurance for your (Thai)partner(s).

This should make group insurance really interesting.
Tony could give us an idea how the size of the group translates in better premiums. The equation being =

more Thaipartners per 1 group member = group premium - x3

[:D][:D][:D]
Pico

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi David,

As I ggot an error message on the PM I sent you this morning, I use the post way to copy it to you again.

"Quote:
Apologizes for this late answer but in fact my position is quite simple, I
would like to find a kind of what they call here a First Class Insurance
covering me and my bikes if I would have an accident, if I am damaged to be in the best hospital and if the bike is damage to pay the repairs. It should cover theft and fire as well.

I join a copy of the bikes.

-1 DUCATI 1000 S2R Monster Brand New Model 2006 Imported and fully legal
with book and all papers I would like to value it at 1.200.000 TBH

-1 SUZUKI DRZ 400S Model 2005 Second Hand bought from a local dealer fully
legal with papers, I acquire it for 240.000 TBH, last week. I would like to
value it around that or at 260.000 TBH as there are some accessories...

Do you catch my description ? You could still give me a call at 0871024826.

I am registred in BKK and use to come in Thailand twice a year for X'Mas (3 weeks) and for Summer (10 weeks). My visa is "OA" and have children. I would use the bike only for pleasure and trips.

With best regards.

Laurent
Unquote".

So here it is, but I am open to all good proposal, remember, flexible as the reed....

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Hello AZOULAY,
While you can Insure a Vehicle for any Value you want there is No Benifit in doing so as in 99% of the Cases the Insurance Company will only Pay out at Market Value! They will be more than Happy to Charge you the Premium Based on the Value you want though!!!
So Insuring Your SR2 Monster for 1.2 Million wouldn't make much sense then would it??? Specially as a BRAND NEW Monster S4R S only costs 945.000 Baht from the Official Dealer in Bangkok!!! Unfortunately Bikes do not increase in Value unless they are Collectable so as soon as you own them they will start dropping in Value not Increasing?
Cheers Ian.

Oct 17, 2006
Ian, that is interesting. I am waiting for tonydabbs to give his recommendation for my strange vehicle.
The sidecar alone was 200.000 THB plus duties etc of another 160.000 THB. How to value that ? Not many sidecars in Thailand, also they last forever. Plus the Honda SilverWIng Scooter600 another 350.000 THB with clean books.
I guess the answer will be the same as you gave Azouly

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
In the U.S. some insurance companies do offer an Agreed Cash Value (AGV) policy. You and your insurer set the "agreed" value and you pay the appropriate premium. In case of loss the "agreed" amount is paid, not the market value. This is often used for covering custom or classic vehicles and would probably fit into Pico's situation. But TIT, so good luck Pico.

Oct 17, 2006
Checking my Thai insurance policies carefully and speaking to the insurance companies I have noticed a very shocking fact most policies cover you for 10m baht medical cover only for third party claims against you. For yourself the average cover is only 50,000 baht which is useless. so if the other party to an accident is uninsured or runs away you are effectivly not covered for serious medical expenses.This applies to cars and motorcycles and not just government basic cover but fully comprehensive too. I have several policies all fro leading companies here which have the same rules .

Its bloody stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!

dotcom

Nov 14, 2006
quote:

Originally posted by Ian Bungy

Hello AZOULAY,
While you can Insure a Vehicle for any Value you want there is No Benifit in doing so as in 99% of the Cases the Insurance Company will only Pay out at Market Value! They will be more than Happy to Charge you the Premium Based on the Value you want though!!!
So Insuring Your SR2 Monster for 1.2 Million wouldn't make much sense then would it??? Specially as a BRAND NEW Monster S4R S only costs 945.000 Baht from the Official Dealer in Bangkok!!! Unfortunately Bikes do not increase in Value unless they are Collectable so as soon as you own them they will start dropping in Value not Increasing?
Cheers Ian.

945,000 baht. That is with plate & book? Thanks

Oct 17, 2006
PLEASE READ MONSTERMAN´S COMMENT AGAIN =
Checking my Thai insurance policies carefully and speaking to the insurance companies I have noticed a very shocking fact most policies cover you for 10m baht medical cover only for third party claims against you.
For yourself the average cover is only 50,000 baht which is useless.
so if the other party to an accident is uninsured or runs away you are effectively not covered for serious medical expenses.
This applies to cars and motorcycles and not just government basic cover but fully comprehensive too. I have several policies all from leading companies here which have the same rules .
UNQUOTE

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?
Likelihood that the adversary drives off,
will you read/ remember the Thai No plate ???
Likelihood of the adversary uninsured ??

Personal injuries = Are you 100% sure that your health insurer picks up the cost? You better make sure.
Material damages to your bike , I guess it will have to come out of your pocket.

These are exactly the loopholes were I was hoping for expert´s advice instead of going through it in an unstructured manner.

PICO

Aug 10, 2007
quote:

Originally posted by AZOULAY

I don't know what covers the famous "Porobo" which seems mandatory, what if you have to spend weeks in the hospital as our dear friend month ago ?

Hi. My name is Tony Dabbs of e-insurethailand.com. David & Pico have invited me to reply to questions. We specialize in assisting expats with the purchase of insurance in English.

"Porobo" is written as "Mandatory" or "Compulsory" in English. It is insurance that is required on all motor vehicles operating in Thailand, whether car or motorcycle. No matter how much other insurance you have, you must have that first. Any other coverage you have rides on top of it.

Porobo is for the protection of the people you hit with your car or motorcycle. It pays up to 50,000 baht per person for medical treatment, and 100,000 baht per person for Accidental Death, Dismemberment or Disability. The maximum it pays per accident is 5,000,000 baht. That means that if you hit a pickup truck loaded with passengers in the back, the coverage will not pay more than 5,000,000 baht in all for medical treatment or death benefits. It doesn't cover any liability for property damage.

Aug 10, 2007
quote:

QUOTE FROM TONYDABBS
Expat Liability Insurance can be found at www.e-insurethailand.com the web site is fully in English. It provides up to 20,000,000 of liability protection. The cost is 3,000 baht per year, per family. For an extra 500 baht it also provides Workmen's Compensation coverage for up to 2 maids.
UNQUOTE

Tony , this exactly were I would like some input from a qualified consultant, or whatever you want to call it.
Insurance business is driven by statistical probabilities.
What is the statistical probability that a 20 MM claim is lodged against one of us ? 2.000.000 in one ??
20 MM buys, sorry for the expression, about 20 lifes in Thailand. That is the figure I have heard. Again what are the unfortunate chances of causing such NON- bike / car claim ? Blowing up a hole Thai street block?

I want to be reasonably insured, not more not less, against the statistical odds of life. 20 MM sound impressive . I know that 5 MM will not be cheaper by 75%. But should 5 mm not be enough ? Again I am looking for an educated answer like you gave it in connection with the health insurance citing the Bumrungrad hospital.

1. In the end we are looking for a group insurance for different categories, health, bail, 3rd party. Does that exclude some of the insurer under www.e-insurethailand.com ??

Pico

Hi Pico, Thank you for your plug.

Statistical probability? The insurance company is charging you 3,000 baht for 20 million baht of liability protection. If they thought that the probability was high of you being sued for 20 million baht, they would be charging a much higher premium. Insurance companies charge premiums on the basis of probable risk. If they charge an exceptionally high premium for a particular coverage it's because the risk of having to pay out on that coverage is exceptionally high. But still, if they do cover you, they still feel that there is some hope that they won't have pay a claim against the policy. Conversely,if
they are charging a very low premium for a very high coverage you can be sure that they consider the risk to be quite low. Unless you feel that you have a need for high liability I recommend that you buy a plan that is more practical and more comprehensive in coverage.

Home (renter or homeowner) insurance will provide you with 5 million baht of liability coverage, protect your home against every type of disaster and fully cover the contents of your home - plus more.

Oct 17, 2006
Thank you Tony,
1. sorry, I didnt phrase my question direct enough. Of course, I know the statistical probability of a 20mm THB claim,
= next to zero.
I also said I dont want to be over- nor underinsured. Consequently, my implied question =
why pay 3000b for a most unlikely claim, i.e. over-insure myself ?? Because it looks sexy on the policy ?
Is 5mm for ..say 1500b premium not enough ?? Here I wanted concrete info from an insurer, as concrete as you provided for probable maximum health claims.
Why throw money away which we can use for better insurance cover elsewhere??

On the other hand the 5mm cover under home owner / renter seems low to me. But that is only a feeling, what do the figures say?

2. Tony it would be helpful if you address the questions resulting from Monsterman´ findings above.

The issue being insurance business is fear driven. But only fear on the client side. On the insurers side it is all math/ probablities, no emotions.

I think the group is better off if some of the fear factor is rationlized through hard facts.
The risk is X.

I am using this easy 3rd party liability insurance as an example.
For health insurances in particular this sexy eye-catching sums for claims that will never ever occur is the high light of any broschure.
Pico

Aug 10, 2007
Questions Sent to me by David

quote:

Standard High Hospital Bills. I note that you quoted Bamgrungrad as 900,000 baht for standard high limit. As this hospital is best & “most expensive” in the country I reckon that most people living up country would be using a local hospital for 30-40% less? So my guess is 500-625 thou would “normally” be ample. Yes / no?

That's true. But what happens if you have a serious problem and your local hospital isn't equipped to adequately handle your medical needs. Then you may need to get yourself transfered to a better equipped hospital in Bangkok. That has just happened to someone who called me tonight.

Normally, I recommend a minimum of 800,000 baht of coverage. 700,000 baht would be OK, though. 1 million baht would be much better. But, you should only get the coverage that you can realistically afford.

quote:

3RD PART LIABILITY
Pico says you quoted 3,000 baht a year for liability protection up to 20 million. Was this related to 3rd party motorcycle liability at all?

It covers any kind of liability, including motorcycle. But it really has nothing to do with 3rd party liability motorcyle coverage.

quote:

BAIL BOND INFO
Do your motorcycle policies have a 200,000 baht bail bond included as standard.
From AA Insurance: Information on Bail Bond - the application form and premiums - please note 200,000 Baht is usually sufficient, the premium being 1,720 Baht. Note this is 'stand alone' bail Bond as all our motorcycle/motor policies carry a minimum of 200,000 Baht Bail Bond as standard.

I agree with AA. 200,000 baht bail bond is standard on auto insurance and motorcycle insurance sold in Thailand.

quote:

What is the cost of the stand alone bail bond?

I don't know. I have never been asked for a stand alone bail bond before. But if someone really wants one I will get them a quote.

quote:

THE MAGIC LAWYER
Some guys have the idea of retaining a “high powered” lawyer for emergency help. What are your thoughts on this?

If those guys have a tendency of getting in trouble a lot, then it's probably a good idea for them. But, it would be a waste of money for most of us.

It wouldn't hurt, though, to get the name of a good attorney you would want to use if the need really arose and then carry his or her card around with you. It also might be a good idea to find out if that attorney had good contacts in high places.

quote:

ACCIDENT / TRAVEL
If SOS is provided with the medical health coverage, what are the advantages / uses of accident / travel insurance? Only payment for loss of limbs / bodily damage? I don’t think us bikers are too really worried about lost flights/ luggage etc when riding our bikes to neighbouring countries.

You are mixing "apples with oranges" here.

1. SOS is medical emergency evacuation coverage. It will bring you back home to medical care in Thailand if you have a medical emergency when traveling outside of Thailand, or more than 150 km away from home in Thailand. SOS does sell travel insurance, but that has nothing to do with their coverage on health insurance policies.

2. All insurance purchased in Thailand will cover you outside of Thailand. The only reason to buy travel coverage would be because the insurance coverage you have doesn't provide adequate coverage for the cost of medical care in the country you are visiting. Laos, Burma, Cambodia, Vietnam, no problem. The U.S., big problem.

3. About travel insurance: If you have health insurance in Thailand, there is no reason for buying travel insurance while biking around the region. If you don't have health insurance in Thailand, I don't see any logic in buying it to travel outside of Thailand.

4. BUPA Travel and THI Journey Health cover only medical needs when traveling.

(note: None of the answers above have anything to do with insurance covering only Accidents.

quote:

AIG has a cheap approx 3,000 baht accident insurance policy that covers you for up to 100,000 baht hospital bills. Do you have anything like that?

Sure, but I have very little demand for Accident Insurance. There are 2 types of accident coverage sold in Thailand. One type is Accidental Death, Dismemberment and Disability Insurance with treatment coverage and the other is Accidental Death, Dismemberment and Disability Insurance without treatment coverage. Both types of plans are called Personal Accident (PA) Insurance. Most health insurance plans include PA coverage without treatment (the health insurance portion provides the treatment coverage.

quote:

How come you are not an agent for AIG?

We deal with them from time to time.

quote:

POLICIES
Policy signature / collection. I note from a complaint on Thaivisa.com that for AA Policies you have to go to Pattaya to sign & collect the policy? What is the system with e-insurethailand.com?

We do everything by e-mail, fax or telephone. We are as near to you as your telephone or your computer. All of our policies are sent out by registered overnight mail (EMS).

Thanks to the latest in cellphone and computer technology, the insurance companies we represent, and Thai government EMS mail service, we are able to provide fast, efficient, personalized service to our clients all over Thailand, and even around the world.

Aug 10, 2007
quote:

Originally posted by monsterman

Checking my Thai insurance policies carefully and speaking to the insurance companies I have noticed a very shocking fact most policies cover you for 10m baht medical cover only for third party claims against you. For yourself the average cover is only 50,000 baht which is useless. so if the other party to an accident is uninsured or runs away you are effectivly not covered for serious medical expenses.This applies to cars and motorcycles and not just government basic cover but fully comprehensive too. I have several policies all fro leading companies here which have the same rules .

Its bloody stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!

People normally buy vehicle insurance beyond what is Mandatory in order to guard against costly lawsuits related to 3rd party injury, death or property damage caused by your vehicle. And, if their vehicle is new enough, to insure the vehicle against loss or damage.

Many motorcycle plans include Personal Accident (Accidental Death, Dismemberment and Disability) coverage for up to 50,000 baht - but no coverage for personal medical treatment. Adding personal treatment coverage would increase the cost of the insurance considerably. If one has their own medical insurance (group or personal) coverage, that should take care of the costs for any medical treatment required.

Depending on the plan, auto insurance will provide either 50,000 or 100,000 baht PA (ADD&D) coverage for the driver and passengers and 50,000 or 100,000 baht for their medical treatment.

Aug 10, 2007
quote:

Thank you Tony,
1. sorry, I didnt phrase my question direct enough. Of course, I know the statistical probability of a 20mm THB claim,
= next to zero.
I also said I dont want to be over- nor underinsured. Consequently, my implied question =
why pay 3000b for a most unlikely claim, i.e. over-insure myself ?? Because it looks sexy on the policy ?
Is 5mm for ..say 1500b premium not enough ?? Here I wanted concrete info from an insurer, as concrete as you provided for probable maximum health claims.

On the other hand the 5mm cover under home owner / renter seems low to me. But that is only a feeling, what do the figures say?

Pico, I have no idea how to answer that question. The insurance companies offer certain types of insurance because some people want them. People buy certain types of coverage because they feel that they have a need for that type of coverage. Statistics have nothing to do with it. Statistics say that most people will live beyond age 60. But what about the guy with a family that dies at age 35 uninsured because statistics said that he didn't need the insurance coverage? What statistic do you believe in planing your insurance program?

quote:

Why throw money away which we can use for better insurance cover elsewhere??

It's a matter of budget and priorities. It's my job to help you in that regard.

Oct 17, 2006
Please be more concise Tony, you said
If one has their own medical insurance (group or personal) coverage, that SHOULD take care of the costs for any medical treatment required.

UNQUOTE

Sorry to be picky again but the word SHOULD has no room here.

Monsterman´s implied concern is =

Does the small print of Thai personal health policies state unequivocally=

Yes,regardless of who caused the injury the insured person is eligible for health care up to the insured amount.

No but, no if?
What about recourse to other insurers?
Is that being sortet out insurer-to-insurer or is the injured person expected to be involved ?

Aug 10, 2007
quote:

Please be more concise Tony, you said
If one has their own medical insurance (group or personal) coverage, that SHOULD take care of the costs for any medical treatment required.

UNQUOTE

Sorry to be picky again but the word SHOULD has no room here.

Monsterman´s implied concern is =

Does the small print of Thai personal health policies state unequivocally=

Yes,regardless of who caused the injury the insured person is eligible for health care up to the insured amount.

No but, no if?
What about recourse to other insurers?
Is that being sortet out insurer-to-insurer or is the injured person expected to be involved ?

Hope this is clearer, Pico: Motorcycle insurance does not cover any medical treatment costs for the driver or rider. It only covers treatment for injured 3rd parties. If you want medical treatment coverage, you should purchase medical treatment insurance.

Yes,regardless of who caused the accident, the insured person is eligible for health care up to the insured amount. Nobody asks and nobody cares about who was at fault.

BUT...if you were on the road and were knowingly involved in a dangerous illegal activity when the accident occurred, like motorcycle racing , and the insurance company found out, you wouldn't be covered. That has nothing do motorcycles, though, it has to do with common sense. If you go into a bank to rob it - then get shot by a guard, your insurance wouldn't cover you either.