Tour Phrae->Nan via Sirikit Dam

matchner1

Jul 13, 2022
Dear all,

for 2024 I am planning a trip around Northern Thailand for February/March around CM/Lampang/Phrae/Nan/Phayao/CM (Google Maps) including Nan Loop to Bo Kluea etc. The trip will approximately done in February/March.

Some questions for my planning, maybe someone can help me with this:

1. Do you have any information about the ferry via the Sirikit Dam/Paknai's Fisherman Village? Are they are operating in dry season or not? Is there a time table available, I did not find any?

2. If they operate, I would take the long run between Phrae and Nan with a loop around the sea (Google Maps). I hope this trip will be possible in a day trip or is there another stop necessary on the way? If they not operate in dry season, I would tkae the way through Mae Yom National Park (Google Maps).

See also:

Best,
Matthias

Gregthemagnificent

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Apr 14, 2018
Perth Australia
Dear all,

for 2024 I am planning a trip around Northern Thailand for February/March around CM/Lampang/Phrae/Nan/Phayao/CM (Google Maps) including Nan Loop to Bo Kluea etc. The trip will approximately done in February/March.

Some questions for my planning, maybe someone can help me with this:

1. Do you have any information about the ferry via the Sirikit Dam/Paknai's Fisherman Village? Are they are operating in dry season or not? Is there a time table available, I did not find any?

2. If they operate, I would take the long run between Phrae and Nan with a loop around the sea (Google Maps). I hope this trip will be possible in a day trip or is there another stop necessary on the way? If they not operate in dry season, I would tkae the way through Mae Yom National Park (Google Maps).

See also:

Best,
Matthias
Hello Matthias,

I am assuming the ferry will be operating as I am planning a similar ride for November, starting in Phrae and finishing in Na Noi. Pushing to Nan is a bit to strenuous for me. The ferry was operating in Nov 2018 on a previous ride.

Last year we did a great ride from Nan to Phrae. Included a 10km dirt road with a river crossing.
Sasidara Resort to 1026
1026 to Phoomthai Garden Hotel

Cheers, Greg

Reactions: DavidFL
Sep 17, 2007
from Phrea to Uttradit , in road 1022 / 1163but not again,,,,, is a bad road be careful in rain time, I be there in 2019,

a thai (8) - Copy.JPG

Reactions: DavidFL

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
In the 2023 hot dry season I understand the ferry did stop operating for a while - water level too low
So if you are planning to come in March, it maybe possible no ferry service. but you won't know until the time comes.
The service is slow & has no regular times, once the ferry is loaded off it goes to the other side, unloads & comes back again, if there are vehicles waiting to cross the lake. Sometimes people have had to wait hours to get a lift across - it is what it is, but that is all part of the adventure.
I have not done the ferry crossing for decades & probably should go back & do another one soon.

Tico

Dec 23, 2022
I did the crossing last year around this time and we have to wait around 60 minutes. No timetable but no issue whatsoever. The roads on both sides are newly paved and quite fun. I hope this helps.