I'd done over 12,000 miles on the '59 Thunderbird but over a long period, due to limited opportunities before I retired. In fact the engine hadn't had a top end overhaul for about 15 years. The manual suggests decarbonising every 10,000 miles...... a bit different to a modern bike..... The frame tubes look quite skinny with seat and tank off. This is a Boyer Bransden twin coil with a Podtronics electronic rectifier/regulator mounted underneath. This set-up replaces the original Lucas coil, distributor, selenium rectifier and regulator. Looking well used... Does indeed need a clean-up That's everything off and there is a broken barrel fin. The head and barrel are cast iron. The timing side little end bush had been rotating in the conrod, so I red loctited that in this time. Old gasket material cleaned off crankcase mouth The valve gear was well coked up and it took some work with WD40 to get the exhaust valves out. Welding cast iron is difficult and needs special rods and equipment due to different expansion rates if used non-matched material. But, I picked up this trick on the internet. Drill through the top broken fin and the fin below. Thread the bottom holes and countersink the top holes. Using countersunk socket head cap screws, bolt the broken fin piece down to the next fin with packing washers to the right height. It will never be noticed. I put some epoxy on the joint to avoid any possible vibration. I need to replace the air filter hose, $48 on ebay. I patched it up for now using a bicycle inner tube patch repair kit. Will replace hose later. I have nice stainless steel barrel studs. Coarse Whitworth thread lower into the aluminium crankcase and 26 tpi British Standard cycle thread upper. One of my whitworth spanners is a 60 years old "King Dick", inherited from my Dad.... Pistons and rings back on. The ring gaps are a little oversize, so I expect a small amount of smoking. I'll replace them next rebuild. Barrel bottom gasket made from locally bought 1.4mm gasket paper (made in England, so suitable for the job....). The black paint I used on the barrel and head is ATM 1200 degree F in aerosol cans, bought from Nana Screws in Chiang Mai. Took over a week to go hard but appears to be good stuff. However, iron heads get so hot around the exhaust port I expect it will burn off after some time. Barrel on. Valve gear cleaned up, valves lapped in and head on. Rocker boxes on. Amal Monobloc carb and Toga "Burgess" exhaust system fitted. Amal carbs are now owned by Burlen Fuel systems and doing very well. They are re-manufacturing all the Amal models; Concentrics Mk1 & 2, Monoblocs, 276s, TTs and GPs. Plus full service kits and upgrade parts like chrome slides and "stay-up" floats. The Triumph vertical twin must be one of the best looking motorbike engines ever made. Timeless beauty. Ready to get off the stand...... ..... and time for a test ride.