Two Wheeled Visa Run Chiang Mai - Vientane?

Aug 15, 2010
I have about 10 days off work at the beginning of October and my most recent Thai VIsa (30 day exemption on USA passport) is almost up.

Is it practical to ride a Thai-plated bike from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khan, take the boat to Huay Xai, and then ride to the embassy in Vientane for a 30 day (or better)Thai Visa? I don't want the 15 day exemption you get at the overland borders.

Would it be better to ride across Northern Thailand or can I not get a bike across the Friendship Bridge?

Aug 26, 2010
I'm keen to know how you cross any border if you give your passport to the motorcylce rental company? Is there another form of assurance you can give other than passport if wishing to cross into Laos (without paying the price of the bike as a deposit)?

Aug 15, 2010
I own my bikes but you can usually get away with a cash deposit of less than the full value of the bikes, in my experience with one rental shop out of CNX.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
ThePoMoBro wrote: I have about 10 days off work at the beginning of October and my most recent Thai VIsa (30 day exemption on USA passport) is almost up.

Is it practical to ride a Thai-plated bike from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khan, take the boat to Huay Xai, and then ride to the embassy in Vientane for a 30 day (or better)Thai Visa? I don't want the 15 day exemption you get at the overland borders.

Would it be better to ride across Northern Thailand or can I not get a bike across the Friendship Bridge?

How was the trip - did you do it?