Video Shan State

Mar 4, 2011
Thanks to Rod we had a good adventure when we left Soppong.
Rod myself and my girlfriend Boo rode up to the army post at Mai Lun on the Burma border I did it on my Kawaski Ninja 650 the road was very rough in many parts for a road bike full of pot holes and mostly dirt.
If you take it carefully its ok to do on a road bike even 2 up but I would not think of it in the wet.
The other route from Mae Lana . Ya Pa Nae. Ban Tham Then on to Vana Luang then back to Soppong I found no trouble to do 2 up on a road bike even though 2 germans on xr 250s said it was impossible for a road bike to do.
Thanks again Rod for a great day I did really enjoy that trip.

Rod Page

Subscribed
Jan 7, 2010
Well here goes Ron....if this works you're a f.....g genius!
Views riding up the 1226
266349=1944-IMG_3818.jpg

266349=1947-IMG_3825.jpg

Boo & the bikes at the Mai Lun control; the flags mark the limit.
266349=1946-IMG_3813.jpg

266349=1943-IMG_3812.jpg

The way to Pang Kham
266349=1942-IMG_3817.jpg

266349=1945-IMG_3816.jpg

Jul 25, 2010
Congratulations Rod for finally getting some pictures up. I think that was nine months training by DavdFL, endless hours with your kids especially flown in from Aus and the USA for the job, mails up and down from Admin Ben and a few beers with me over which you learn't absolutely nothing. Keep em coming. Nice shots too which just proves that you are better with a camera than a laptop!

Aug 29, 2008
so MAE lun control is right on the border?
we got there but didnt know where we were so turned around

Rod Page

Subscribed
Jan 7, 2010
The map that Auke has posted on this thread is a good guide.
As you head up to Mae Lun you are actually right on the border - you know that you are there as there are Thai flags flying high on tall bamboo rods (similar to those in one of the photos I posted) along the way on higher, key vantage points along the way.
As you run down/veer right to the Mae Lai border control, the actual border is a 100 metres or so as the crow flies over to your right - its clearly market with both Thai & Burmese flags flying high on their bamboo rods.
If you had continued left you would have had a most scenic run down to Pang Kham. From there there's a track out to the border (clearly marked on Auke's map). A local from Pang Kham offered to run us out indicating that crossing the border/visiting the Shan state Army was fairly straight-forward. We did not take up the offer as we were on an exploratory trip & felt that wisdom dictated that such crossing of a national border warranted better preparation/full due diligence.
Its a wonderful part of northern Thailand - what did you think, Alrikki?

Aug 29, 2008
yes,it was lovely scenery. Unfortunately we had taken a short cut, and crossed one stream with difficulty, after a long loose downhill section, and found another stream which we could not cross, so had to turn around, and didnt have time to explore any more.
I want to go again soon

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Just wondering if this is the same checkpoint:
From Shan Herald News Agency
Increasing Palm Oil and Automobile Trade to Burma
Thursday, 09 June 2011 13:45 Ying Mwe Fa

Illegal trade is booming on the southern Shan State motorcade trade route through Mae Hong Son, a northern province in Thailand. Since the beginning of the New Year, hundreds of new and used cars have been transported from Mae Hong Son, to Taunggyi, Burma (Myanmar).

According to one palm oil merchant, "Malaysian palm oil and Japanese cars entering from Thailand" are the main products being sold.

Japanese cars enter via a checkpoint in Mae Hong Son, where a fee of 20,000 baht (670 dollars) per car is taxed to the seller of the car. Khun Nu, the son of Col Maha Ja, the owner of Homong-based SSS Company, taxes 50,000 baht (1670 dollars) to the buyer of the car. As many as eight 18-wheelers transport palm oil per week, and up to ten Japanese cars can be transported to Mae Hong Son at one time.

New Japanese cars are also being transported to Taunggyi.

The Japanese cars are transported from Ho mong to the Salween River crossing Ta Hsop Teng. It is much cheaper and easier for people to transport cars illegally as opposed to the tedious legal methods.

Recently a trade delegation led by Mae Hong Son governor went to Naypyataw to discuss the official reopening of the Mae Hon Son-Ho mong border, but returned without meeting any senior official.
or if not, which one?