Vietnam - The Best Roads & Scenic Routes

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Some highlights for Vietnam

Long and winding roads through rocky mountains in the northernmost province of Ha Giang are not safe for beginner drivers. But for experienced ones, the breathtaking landscape is a reward. Hanh Phuc (Happiness) is the most favorite road for many riders, linking the capital city of Ha Giang and for mountainous districts. Photos by Pham Quang Tuan/VnExpress.
h1_wqlg.jpg

The 50-kilometer long road that runs around the Hoang Lien Son Range, between the northern mountainous provinces of Lao Cai and Lai Chau, is another must-visit for adventurers. Named O Quy Ho, it is the longest mountain pass in Vietnam. Standing more than 2,000 meters above sea level, its top is covered with white clouds almost all year round, hence its poetic name “the cloudy mountain pass.”

h2_pelx.jpg

A section of the Ho Chi Minh Trail that leads to Cuc Phuong National Park in the northern province of Ninh Binh
h3_xzjz.jpg

This is Hai Van, a 21-km long mountain pass on National Highway 1A in Vietnam. It is near the border of Da Nang City and Thua Thien-Hue Province. Its name, Sea Cloud, refers to the mist that rises from the sea.
h4_kwhe.jpg

A road on Binh Ba Island in Khanh Hoa Province, home to the famous Nha Trang Bay
h5_xbty.jpg

The road along Binh Tien Beach in Ninh Thuan Province on the central coast
h6_rjzl.jpg

The road from Bau Trang (White Sand Dunes) to Luong Son District in Binh Thuan Province, home to the resort town of Mui Ne
h7_ualz.jpg

Hon Giao Mountain Pass, also known as Khanh Le, Long Lanh or Omega, stretches 33 km from Nha Trang to Da Lat. It is one of the most beautiful mountain passes in Vietnam.
h8_fgeq.jpg

The road around Ho Coc, a small beach community located in Xuyen Moc District, Ba Ria-Vung Tau Province. It is about 125 kilometers southeast of Ho Chi Minh City.
h9_xvsu.jpg

The road that leads to U Minh Thuong National Park in the Mekong Delta province of Kien Giang
h10_ppfv.jpg

Text & images from Thanhniennews, Vietnam.

Rod Page

Subscribed
Jan 7, 2010
David,

I've actually ridden all of them & they are even better than they look.

This gives me an opportunity to raise a point of view that I have long wanted to raise ..................... I just can not understand why people continue to wish to ride through China when they have Vietnam right there! VN is simply sensational - every 100 kilometres or so the scenery changes but it is always brilliant. I just can not understand those who are prepared to put up with all the bull-shit that riding in China entails - headache border crossings, the need to be accompanied, the long distances between points of interest, the regular occurrence of impassable roads, even the purposeful approach of Chinese authorities to dilute the culture of minorities, a culture & way of life so many of us find so interesting, stimulating & enriching, the at times less than warm receptions & so on.

Just take a geek at the abundance of reports on the 2 countries on this site - ther's clearly no comparison..........& nobody remembers second!