What kind of driver license is accepted in Laos?

Discussion in 'Laos - General Discussion Forum' started by Changnoi1, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Changnoi1

Changnoi1 Ol'Timer

Planning a trip in Laos next month but did forget one thing ...
    I do have a Dutch driverlicense and I do have a Thai driverlicense but I do not have any international driverlicense?

Do I need a IDL in Laos or is the Thai DL accepted?
    If I need a IDL can I get an IDL in Thailand ?

Chang Noi

2. Loading...

3. TonyBKK

TonyBKK Ol'Timer

I've been told that the Thai DL is valid throughout ASEAN. Perhaps someone can confirm?

4. brian_bkk

brian_bkk Ol'Timer

I believe you are correct Tony.. When I go to Singapore I am licenced to drive the company car... no international licence. Laos and SGP licence are fine in Thai with out an international licence.

In Lao you only need a car licence to drive / ride...

Give the Embassy a call if you want to be sure,

5. Azoulay

Azoulay Ol'Timer

Hi Friends,

I do confirm that the Thai Driving License for car and/or/or for bikes is valid in Asean. I already used it several times with no issue.

Keep the power on !

6. Changnoi1

Changnoi1 Ol'Timer

Thanks! So I will just not bother in getting a Thai IDL at the DLT.

Chang Noi

7. Iwantablackrz

Iwantablackrz Ol'Timer

I was under the assumption you didn't need a licence to ride in laos.

I plan on riding FROM Vietnam into Laos. I was under the impression I wouldn't necessarily need a licence for either country as I rode in Laos in '09 with no problems whatsoever... or was I just lucky in that I wasn't pulled up?

Can anyone confirm?

*edit*

Not to worry. Dug up some of my old posts and I've had this question answered before. Looks like I'll be just getting an international licence before I leave. :)