Are they ever going to release the Transalp?

Desmocrat

Subscribed
Mar 1, 2021
Meuang Loei
Or is this a myth? I love the 750/850 displacement bikes, but don't like the fact that it is a 6 hour round trip to the nearest BMW service/parts shop. I recently acquired a little Honda CRF300L for around town and the many dirt roads around Loei province and really like the fact that Honda has such a huge market share in Thailand and parts/service are pretty readily available. I don't know that I want to step up to an Africa Twin, but don't know if I want to step down to a CB500X either. I could hold out a bit longer if I felt more confident that the Transalp was really going to be released pretty soon, but if still not sure on a release in the model year '22, then I might pull the trigger on oe of the other two. Thoughts?

Reactions: Eoin Christie

Heineken

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Mar 2, 2019
Lots of rumors about the Transalp, hopefully it appears.................................Im sure it will have alot of interchangeable parts from the NC750X.

BTW I have a NC750X with the DCT, its a great bike, goes well IMO even though the hp figures are low, it redlines @ 6250rpm

Wise choice going with Honda, every major town now has a Honda Big Wing, minor stuff can probably be repaired at one of the endless small Honda dealers.

Oddvar

Subscribed
Mar 18, 2013
Honda bikes built in Thailand is probably the most reliable, and cheapest bikes to maintain and ride in Thailand.
Anyone remember the Honda add from the 70's in the US?
'You meet the nicest (plural) people on a Honda" :p

Wazza

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Sep 17, 2017
Hi Desmo,
It has arrived as you well know. I can confirm most of the reviews/comparos. Goes ok but suspension is under done. Ended 7 day ride out of cnx at the end of november. 3 bikes, 650 Strom, 650 Versys and the Alp. Power wise, the honda but not by much. Supposidly 80 horses, under done below 4k and over by 8 1/2. Strom didnt feel too short as it pulls earlier and sign off a bit later if required. Didnt ride this Kwaka but did a year ago. Needed to be punted to keeep up with the others and once you put some preload in the rear and tweaked some compression in front, not bad at all.
The Alp wasnt bad, just lacks refinement. I was only 1 up and the rear was pogoing around. Not dangerously but demanded a closer eye on the road surface. No easy on the run adjustment unfortueately. Front forks were a bit harsh if put to the test and rated maginally better the the rear.
I didnt find the seat terribly comfortable either, better some day, not another.
Another thing, I'm 186 cm, and didnt find it easy to throw the leg over. Significantly taller than the other 2 bikes, yeh use the step. Riders seat is not a problem for most.
Cheers Wazza

Wazza

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Sep 17, 2017
Whilst possibly turning this thread into a bike review page. A review of the Yamaha Tracer 9 GT.
Ridden for 5 days and 1300kms on an elongated MHS loop, Jan 2024. The motor is based on the MT 09 engine, 3 cyl, 900cc, churning out around 117hp. I dont accurately know the thai cost, but it does have a rich list of standard features. Cruise control, qs/blipper, sliper clutch, 2 suspension modes, 4 engine modes, 4 tractions settings, heated grips, adjustable seat height, great adjustable front screen, on the fly. Comes with panniers/top box, good brakes, hand guards, adjustable front and rear preload........
We had one 18 months ago on a ride, not my choice of bike and I suggest it never got out of rain mode(4). On this particular ride, I did MHS to Pai, great gear box, especially with qs/blipper but a bit doughy due to map 4.
As you go up the maps, the bottom end gets stronger and the progression to the rich power gets quicker. It pulls well from 2 grand, gets nice and strong from 5 to 10 grand, all accompanied by the wail of the standard exhaust. I preferred engine maps 1 and 2 as we were 2 up. As my favourite bike is the 650 Strom, I was surprised that' Her' on the back prefered the Tracer as it was more spacious. The other bonus is the extra neddies to over take and climb mountains. Two up, the 650 Strom lacks a bit of pounce.
Suspension, adjustable and good. Being 2 up and a little soft, I ramped up the rear preload to max and left the front as it was. In general the hard suspenion setting was what I used but found on corrigated, steep concrete surfaces, 2 was better. Good to have that option at the press of a buttom. A bit of fiddliing with settings will make it great.
I didnt use the heated grips but the cruise control was a treat. Throttle hand off to get blood circulation happening, great feature.
To clarify, QS is quick shifter, open throttle up shift no clutch, blipper, closed throttle, no clutch, down shift with a throttle blip. Slipper clutch, one thats less likely to lock up on down shift.

Overall, I very much liked it. Plenty up the trowser leg, handles very well, comfortable and well equipped.

Pros- Lots of good fruit, comfy, good performance, handles well.

Cons- Feesl a bit top heavy full of fuel and with pillion at low speed. Almost twice the cost to hire(maybe buy) than a 650 Vstrom.

All the best Warwick

Last edited:
Reactions: DavidFL