Chiang Mai City Ride - 360 Degree Video - Partial Lockdown

ZCM

Subscribed
Jun 23, 2011
cm

Saturday May 1st. I took a ride around the main hotspots of Chiang Mai on what would normally be busy high traffic areas. This video is an edited short version, the full video link is HERE

Many of you will remember Chiang Mai city when it was quieter than recent years. Some of you will even have experience of Chiang Mai from decades ago.

For me I arrived in Chiang Mai in 2006 and even then it was so much quieter than recent years, and very little congestestion. I use to get around the city on a bicycle back then and never felt stressed or worried about the traffic. For many years now I just avoid going into the city.

The current traffic flow in this video reminded me more of Chiang Mai back when I first arrived (although it wasn't quite as quiet as this in truth, especially on a Saturday, which is when I recorded this video) . This is a rare moment of quietness in the now busy and popular Chiang Mai. I doubt we will ever see Chiang Mai this quiet again.

p.s: I am sorry about the demarcation lines. I am disappointed with the Samsung Gear 360 waterproof housing I bought. I have already ordered a new part so that I can mount the camera without the housing. Oh..and would be great if you like and subscribe to my YouTube ;) ^^ Thank you.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Interesting Zed. I thought you were really speeding at the start, then you slowed the vdo down.
I was a bit confused with it filming from behind.
Who not film from a forward moving view?

Or have I missed something?

ZCM

Subscribed
Jun 23, 2011
cm
Interesting Zed. I thought you were really speeding at the start, then you slowed the vdo down.

It is 360 degree video...you can pan around and zoom around.
You just need to move the camera angles yourself.
The rear camera is the default view of the video stitching.
The fish eye makes the footage appear faster than it actually is.
I did not speed up or slow down the footage. It is all real time.
If not familiar 360 VR footage it will seem odd, but you need to manually pan the camera angles around yourself. You can do this on the screen and move the camera angles around anywhere, including up and down.

Reactions: Eoin Christie

Eoin Christie

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Jul 16, 2019
Hi, Zed. Good work. I have an Insta360 One R, which seems good so far (I’ve only used it for the commute to and from my office, which is not very exciting). At the moment I just have it mounted on the crossbar of the handlebars, but shall stick it in a backpack once I get a selfie-stick this week.
They are very good for picking up the ‘missed pieces’ that pass one by on a ride.
Keep the vid’s coming

Eoin Christie

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Jul 16, 2019

As Zed notes, David, you can move the point of view around yourself whilst watching the video. On a phone or tablet, just push the image around with your finger whilst watching, if that makes any sense.