GT RIder Up Country Dinner # 16 - Chiang Kham

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
It was a great night and Tonsom House was superb, great value for money..............................The weather gods never smiled on me for my ride from Chiang rai to Den Sai, it was the wettest day for about 3 x months, and it rained from when I left home until I met the boys at Den Sai, and then it was fine for the ride into Uttaradit.

I found out that afternoon that the area around Pong to Chiang Muan had flash flooding this morning, thats the exact route i took, lots of water running everywhere, including over the roads at places, only about 4 to 6" though. On my return journey the weather was fine and the rivers were flowing, hard to believe when I went through here a few weeks back that the water was hardly moving in these rivers.

View attachment 131661

View attachment 131662

View attachment 131663

View attachment 131664

View attachment 131665

View attachment 131666

View attachment 131667

Glad everything worked out ok for you. It was great see you there in Uttaradit.
Because of your magnificent flood effort to get to Uttaradit the next dinner - Wednesday 28 August 2019 will be in Chiang Kham - right next door for you.

A list of recommended establishments will come.
In the meantime some Chiang Kham tips

Chiang Kham Accommodation

[bcolor=rgb(255, 255, 255)]https://www.gt-rider.com/se-asia-motorcycling/threads/chiang-kham-restaurants.12798/[/bcolor]

Some Chiang Kham Info & Trip Reports

A Chiang Run

Chiang Kham - A Tai Lue Festival - 2017

A Nice Little Loop East Out Of Chiang Kham

Tai Lue Weaving

Doi Pha Tang - a meander. Chiang Mai - Chiang Kham - Chiang Khong return.

Chiang Kham - Pottering Around

Chiang Kham Loop & Phu Arnmar Camping

Chiang Kham - Khun Huai Khrai & A Ride In The Heat.

Chiang Mai – Phayao - Chiang Khong – Chiang Rai Return

There's more than enough to do in and around Chiang Kham to make a few loops & rides out of Chiang Kham - to or from Phayao / Chiang Khong / Nan, or even Phrae (via Pong - Chiang Muan - Song - Phrae).

A master plan for the Chiang Kham dinner night will be posted before the event.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Wednesday 28th August - Chiang Kham

I'm booked in at the Chiang Kham Tai Lue Resort for 450 baht
gtr-20-20img_8898-jpg.jpg

The location is here chiangkhamtailueresort - Google Search

The dinner venue will be one of these two establishments

Khom Google Maps
306045-22836-img_3848-jpg.jpg

or
Krua Tawan Laeng Google Maps
we can decide on the night

The pub - party venue will be here
17 December Google Maps

The owner of the Tai Lue will arrange transport for the restaurant & the pub.

Other handy accommodation places

The Pansea
Google Maps
300-400 baht

Boutique 5
Google Maps

Chiang Kham Garden Resort
Google Maps

Chiang Kham is an interesting, classic old town.
There was no real convenient accommodation that was close to everything IMHO & I could not find a nice happy hour rendezvous spot; however lets start at the Tai Lue & take it from there. See you all 5Pm at the Tai Lue. My favoured dining place is the Khom, but that is further most away from the hotel & the pub. So the the Krua Tawan Laeng maybe the winner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eoin Christie
Apr 16, 2011
Hi all
I think that i will finally attend an up country dinner. See you all wednesday night

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
A quick update for Wednesday 28th August.
All the 450 baht rooms @ the Tai Lue Resort have gone now, booked by a group of doctors.
There are some bungalows left for a higher price.
2nd accommodation now is the Boutique 5
Google Maps

There was an adjoining restaurant there so we could make this the beer rendezvous. 5PM. It's not far from the Tai Lue

Last edited:

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Woo-hoo what a great fun night that was.
8 people turned up with 3 cancellations.
Newbies to a GTR up-country dinner were Grant, Joe & Bob & I believe everyone was impressed and had a good time.
The full house bookings at the Tai Lue, saw people staying at two hotels, the Tai & Lue & the Boutique 5.
Not everyone made it to happy hour before the rain
upload_2019-8-29_21-26-40.png

Happy hour started at the Boutique 5 because it was the only convenient place found with beer, but the beer was warm, there was no ice or soda for the Jamesons team.
upload_2019-8-29_21-25-59.png

The issue was resolved with patience, some frozen glasses & some limited ice purchase. It was all very entertaining much to our amusement & zero complaints.

Dinner was at the Khom Restaurant
upload_2019-8-29_21-27-43.png

where we won over the staff & other customers
upload_2019-8-29_21-28-13.png

plus the two-man band
upload_2019-8-29_21-28-37.png

Dinner was impressive - excellent Thai food and cheap, with outstanding service.
Once dinner was over we adjoined the next two pubs - December 17 & ____,
The December was a winner for the staff & the ___ for the music.
It was a top night. Chiang KHam rocks for nice accommodation, excellent food at the Khom, plus good music.
Stop over sometime, don't just pass on by.

Chiang Kham Restaurants

Next month - September & the last Wednesday of the month is 25th September. See you all out there somewhere in another "Muang."

Heineken

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Mar 2, 2019
Yep it was a great night, started off wet but the rain had gone by 6pm......................Pat on the back to David for organizing these nights out, and to the fellow forum members who make the effort to attend, the local Thai people always seem to make us welcome...................I think I can remember a conversation where we all agreed this doesn't happen back in our home countries............

YlaV2KfwjIFx12yutTtx7iHLSrzWeYCCkFNqNWd87DCCh2qNdo0hC4kANQfBHuYGbbMLMG9Y7jhmFgA487=w1679-h944-no.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: