New FZ8

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
I was chatting to John Gooding yesterday and He informed me He was picking up His New Yamaha FZ8 Today Monday so a few of Us went down to the Yamaha Riders Club here in Chiang Mai to take a look this Morning! I took a couple of Photos with My Phone so pardon the Quality! Turns out John received the First FZ8 to be delivered in Northern Thailand! It was still being unpacked when We arrived.
2012-07-09102409.jpg

Didn't take long to have it all finished though.
2012-07-09110334.jpg

They fired it up and for a standard Exhaust System it actually Looks and Sounds really Nice! Ran Beautifully. So No doubt We will all see John on the Road soon.
Good Luck and Congratulations Mate. A Very Nice Bike for a Good Price as well, Enjoy!
2012-07-09110401.jpg

Jul 25, 2010
It does look good, I especially like the color. I saw one of these parked at Khun Tam's car wash on Huay Kaew about a couple of weeks ago? Perhaps from BKK.

Sep 4, 2007
Thanks Ian for coming this morning and to the other 3 guys who came to see the unveiling. Yamaha had a demonstrator which they had at the motor show, then off to Samut Prakarn for emission test and a couple of weeks at each dealer, including CM. I was able to ride it 2 weeks ago before it returned to BKK.
First impressions very good, although I managed to get wet on it as soon as I left the shop and then again later when I left the X-Centre. Will post more comments on return from Nan trip later this week.

Jan 9, 2011
Nice bike John.
There is one or two FZ8 in Vietnam currently. However I 've never seen her on road.
But the FZ6 and FZ1 are so many here. I was considered a FZ1 after selling my Hornet919. Great machine.

Pichus

Sep 12, 2011
Congratulations SIR!!
would love to meet up if I'm going to north trip in Oct.!!(From BKK)

Sep 4, 2007
Thank you guys, always happy to meet any riders coming up to Chiang Mai.
In the meantime, some pics taken this morning after first wash. No I do not wash bikes every day, but first 2 rides both wet and I wanted to get some wax on.

280723=11461-P7100002.jpg

280723=11462-P7100003.jpg

280723=11463-P7100004.jpg

280723=11464-P7100006.jpg

280723=11465-P7100007.jpg

Looking forward to meeting fellow GT Riders on the road, even during the next three months of rainy weather.

Jan 9, 2011
Great looking bike John. Impressed with the upside down front forks.
The frame sliders and aftermarket exhaust can need to be considerd.

Sep 4, 2007
VietHorse;280725 wrote: Great looking bike John. Impressed with the upside down front forks.
The frame sliders and aftermarket exhaust can need to be considerd.
Agree about the frame sliders. I will run with the exhaust for a while, as Ian said the sound is not bad, it is not as ugly as the one on the FZ1 and I think it is a lot lighter. When I have time I may remove and see what it weighs. I have an RG racing tail tidy on the way from the UK and will also look for a fly screen, but I did accidentally reach 160 kph yesterday for a short time and the wind was nicely balancing rather than disturbing, so may not be neccessary.

Jul 28, 2008
Lovely bike John, congratulations! I think I saw the price listed as 480k, is that right? If so then I'd imagine it is the best value imported bike available in Thailand, wonder how they can sell it with such a relatively small price increase over Europe, Japan, America while other imports are usually at least twice the price?

Sep 4, 2007
skybluestu;280727 wrote: Lovely bike John, congratulations! I think I saw the price listed as 480k, is that right? If so then I'd imagine it is the best value imported bike available in Thailand, wonder how they can sell it with such a relatively small price increase over Europe, Japan, America while other imports are usually at least twice the price?
Thanks Skybluestu, You are correct the bike sells here for 480,000Baht. Thai Yamaha have reduced some of their model prices quite drastically this year. Partly due to continuing reductions in import tax for Asean countries, partly more favourable exchange rates with Yen and no doubt mainly because they were too expensive. The FZ8, is considered expensive in Europe cf bikes like the Triumph Street Triple, which is sold cheaper there. Yet here the Triumph is much more expensive than the FZ8, so yes the FZ8 becomes good value here in Thailand and that was certainly part of my buying decision. Still more expensive than the Versys, but a different performance level and higher build quality.

KenYam

Nov 2, 2007
Congrats John, she looks great. Maybe she could do with a bra on those engine pipes 555, they stick out don't they?
I was at Yamaha CNX awhile back and noticed they had no big bikes on display, assumed something was up, never asked mind you.
The 800 should be a good size for Thailand mate, a bit lighter than your FZ1.
480,000 baht is also good, that's Aust$15,240 thats a lot of performance and quality for your bucks, well done and safe riding mate.

Cheers Ken F

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
Congrats John, didn't quite believe you would be on the 250 for long. :smile1:
Good looking bike and a "fair" price for LoS.
Looking forward to hearing feedback following trip to Nan and if you will miss that litre power.

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
2012-07-09102409.jpg

Obviously, from the look on his face, John is overjoyed with the new purchase... :D ...

Lovely bike John, look forward to hearing the positives and negatives compared to the FZ1 (one of which I bought, partly because of the way you rode yours)...

Sep 4, 2007
I appreciate the continuing good wishes re the new FZ8, especially high praise from NOAY, maybe I should change my login name to: BACKONAYAMAHA!
Just back from 3 days on the bike, odometer now reading 1021 and booked in for its first service on Sunday, just before it is a week old.
Chiang Mai, Nan, Chiang Khong, Chiang Rai and home, using some of the best riding roads in the North. Some wet roads and very light brief showers, but the sun shone and never got really wet, so proving this is a great time of year to ride and enjoy the best of the scenery. This is not a trip report however but comments on the new FZ8. Well to sum up, I am very very happy with my choice. 3 days in the saddle, 300km or so days of lovely roads. The bike performed faultlessly and I would suggest it is an excellent next step up from those who are looking for something a bit more challenging and fun than a Versys. The bike feels much lighter and less stiff than the FZ1, seating position and handlebar layout and controls are similar to FZ1, footpegs are a few cm lower, I cannot say I noticed this. For me a comfortable bike and my knees fit well into the tank. Very easy in the turns, flicks side to side and great torque pulling out of the bends. First and second gear are a little longer than the FZ1, making slow town traffic easy to deal with, once in top, I was looking for another gear as in 6th at 4,000rpm one is reaching about 94kph and on the FZ1 it used to be just over 100kph. The throttle response is very smooth, it will pull in 5th and 6th gear from as little as 2500rpm. Rev limit is 11,500.
It seems very smooth and good torque up to 6 or 7K and then goes a bit ballistic, not as much as the FZ1, but enough for me to probably not be in the 8 to 11.5k range too much. At the moment of course kept it at 6k or below with the infrequent quick burst up to 10k or so just to loosen the engine up a bit, and bed in some of those delicate bits. The tank holds 17L and a quick calculation suggest consumption about 20km per litre for our ride. That gives a range of over 300km ridden quite gently. Definately better than the FZ1. The suspension is only adjustable for preload at the back and not adjustable at the front. For me it definately felt firmer and I could feel the road more than than I did on the BMW, but there is more feedback as well and I felt happy pushing it a bit more on the bends than the BMW. The FZ1, has a lot of suspension adjustability, but I left it middling and never touched it. I am of average weight for a European and ride solo all the time, do not get near a track, so I am feeling the FZ8 will be fine just as it is.
Brakes are smooth and powerful, no ABS, that is only offered in Europe, must be because it is always wet or icy there. The exhaust actually has a good sound, a nice intake roar at the higher revs and the usual 4 cylinder whine. I like it and probably will not change it, it sounds powerful. Personal opinion I am sure and others would want something more aggressive.
Enough technical stuff. I like the way the bike looks, sounds and feels on the road, for me it is better bike for the sort of trips I am enjoying than the FZ1 was. The BMW F800GS was a go anywhere, sedately type of bike, well for me it was, but some do not ride them so sedately. The FZ8 is a little more hooligan capable and likes to go quicker than the BMW, it feels good doing that sometime, not straight line high speed, which would probably be somewhere around 250kph, but acceleration and corner speed.. It is more fun than the BMW and less serious than an FZ1.
Anything I miss from the FZ1, not really, time and wetter weather will tell wether I will miss the screen and half fairing. For these 3 days, I definately did not miss them.
So I am very happy with the bike, it is great value at this time, compared to what else is on offer from OEM's in Thailand, I believe it should outsell the FZ1, and the owners like me will not miss the extra mostly unused or unusable performance of the bigger bike.

Dougal

Dec 18, 2007
Nice one John. Looks great.

Interesting to see some of us gradually coming down the scale of bike sizes and engine capacity. You started with the FJR 1300 and GS1200 and here you are on your second 800cc bike and loving it.
I started on a VMax 1200 and loving my Versys 650.
Its got to be the learning process of riding Thai roads especially up in the North and finding the bike you are most comfortable with.

You definitely sound and look comfortable with your new ride. Enjoy.

Sep 4, 2007
Dougal;280839 wrote: Nice one John. Looks great.

Interesting to see some of us gradually coming down the scale of bike sizes and engine capacity. You started with the FJR 1300 and GS1200 and here you are on your second 800cc bike and loving it.
I started on a VMax 1200 and loving my Versys 650.
Its got to be the learning process of riding Thai roads especially up in the North and finding the bike you are most comfortable with.

You definitely sound and look comfortable with your new ride. Enjoy.
You have hit the nail on the head for my position also. I no longer see the need to carry around a lot of weight and additional power that I do not need. I know on road handling of bigger bikes, even such as a Gold Wing, is not difficult and they do not feel heavy. But for all the other activities and manouvering by hand, washing, servicing etc, as I journey further into my second half century, it is good to have a simple naked bike, that is easy to handle around the carpark and my little washing and service area. Hope to see you out on the road sometime Peter.

feejer

Feb 16, 2007
Fine looking machine and great choice John. Sounds like a perfect bike for the area and quite impressive fuel consumption too with a 300km range. That is really my only remaining complaint with my FZ1. That bike surprised me with its thirst as my much bigger/heavier FJR is much more economical by a considerable margin. The FZ1 can usually only go about 175km before the reserve begins flashing. Tried to lean it out a bit at cruise RPM with the PowerCommander but it did not run well at all. Just too much valve overlap on the cam profile and charge loss out the pipe. Oh well, we don't ride these things to brag about fuel economy, but I had to try :)

Sep 4, 2007
feejer;280890 wrote: Fine looking machine and great choice John. Sounds like a perfect bike for the area and quite impressive fuel consumption too with a 300km range. That is really my only remaining complaint with my FZ1. That bike surprised me with its thirst as my much bigger/heavier FJR is much more economical by a considerable margin. The FZ1 can usually only go about 175km before the reserve begins flashing. Tried to lean it out a bit at cruise RPM with the PowerCommander but it did not run well at all. Just too much valve overlap on the cam profile and charge loss out the pipe. Oh well, we don't ride these things to brag about fuel economy, but I had to try :)
The fuel consumption and hence range does look promising vs the FZ1, but this was a gentle tour, with cruising speed in the 110 to 115kph range most of the time, I suspect your FZ1 and FJR are running a bit quicker than that, and it remains to be seen what the FZ8 will give when ridden more energetically. No need to brag, but anything that reduces the cost of our pastime without reducing the pleasure is welcome.

Pichus

Sep 12, 2011
Hi John,
Love your review of bike.I almost the same like you as middle class lover . I'm also on Honda hornet 600.