Small/medium capacity, easy ride bike?

ceejay

Sep 4, 2021
Hi folks,
I'm based on Phuket and my only current bike is a Yammy N-max. It's great for every day use around town but not the best for any longer distances or thoughts of off island trips.
I was hoping Honda would bring their CB350H to Thailand but it looks like probably not (unless anyone knows better?).
I've test ridden the RE Meteor, a very comfortable bike and nicely weighted BUT too lackluster on performance. I would like something that can cruise along at a decent speed without vibration or hard work AND not crowded out by faster Clicks at every set of lights!
The only other bike that has ticked some boxes is the RE Interceptor, which is the biggest cc I would consider.
Any suggestions that might fit the bill? Bearing in mind I'm of short stature so the adventure bikes are off the table.
Maybe some knowledge on upcoming models too, happy to wait a bit.

Ughetto

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Mar 29, 2021
What I suggest to friend who based in Phuket also if now have less traffic
Is not to buy a big bike.
Big bike need dress in the south is hot
people there drive like a crazy and many friend I loose in accident.
After we are all children and we like all the game but depend how many time you will really use in your life
and for 3 trip or 10 trip
rent and save the money......
Now is not time for drive in another country and your scooter is good also for travel all around Thailand.
This is what I think but we are all different.
Phuket accident are second only to Bangkok.
You can be a good driver but who know coming in front of you or from the back or from another side thai,farang,sameone make race with big bike or car racing or tuk tuk pass another car in a sharp.many different situation that need experience lucky and pray too.In last decades they sold so many car and motorcycle in Thailand that drive is a big risk.
All of us we do but is always a big risk because follow down with a scooter is different than follow down with a big bike.
Last time I come to Phuket with a big bike was 2 years ago
And in 4 month I use 1 day because I know the island they can still from me and I can have accident.
What I want to say 99 por cent of the time when I am there I will use scooter.
Also my friend desire to buy big bike in Phuket today after they will go in the beach with slippery.
Raining season is long sand in the sharp...
Upgrade your scooter and you will be happy.
A suggestion.....
Yamaha 300 cc. X max
164.000 Thai baht

Last edited:

ceejay

Sep 4, 2021
Well, I really cannot argue with any of that, all sadly too true.
An X-max is definitely a main contender, just lusting after a geared bike. Wearing the proper kit on a "real" bike is also more fitting apart from being life saving.
I used to ride older style 250s, 350s, 400s and a 500 in the UK and have been riding a scoot 5 years here on Phuket.
Thanks for your input.

Reactions: Chantony

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
The Honda Rebels could perhaps fit your bill. There is a 300 cc and a 500 cc version. Or maybe the Honda CB500F?

ceejay

Sep 4, 2021
Ah yes, the Rebel. The 300 has Honda's "dodgy" lump in it and I have tried one. I really don't like it, uncomfortable for me, both seat wise (even worse for wifey pillion) and riding position. Poxy placcy panels that apparently fall off! Pre launch I was interested but in the flesh thought it ugly.
In a way a shame as there are loads of used, well kept ones being flogged off, maybe the owners agree with my opinion?

canthai

Subscribed
Apr 8, 2015
Rebels must be one of the most Fugly bikes I have ever seen. Right up there with BMW's 'offering' as a cruiser - Gawd !

Reactions: Ian Bungy

Heineken

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Mar 2, 2019
I have a X-Max and can confirm its a great all round bike, a big step up from the 125/150cc choices.

Why dont you go rent some bigger bikes you are thinking of buying and try them out ?, as we all know every bike is a compromise :)

ceejay

Sep 4, 2021
Yes the Xmax is already heading the list, just hoping for something more in line with the current trend of retro, such as the CB350H already mentioned.
If anyone has a finger on anything "on the way" for Thailand, I'm all ears. I'd be a taf miffed if I plumbed for an Xmax and the next month a lovely retro arrived on the market!
Triumph are "talking" about them, Honda have two but not here, RE seem a bit lost and???

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
Ducati has a 400 cc scrambler, Kawasaki have twin cylindred Z300 and the newer Z400. Yamaha has also a twin 320 cc R3

ceejay

Sep 4, 2021
Racers are not ma thang! As lovely as the smaller Scrambler is....how much?! Very little between it and it's older, bigger bruv ( sis? ).
Another whispered model is the Yammy XSR300, the 150 is a nice ride so a 300 appeals...

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
I just scrolled through Kaidee and the 400 Ducati Scramblers seemed to be half the price of the bigger ones, 150 k baht versus 300 k baht. Didnt check each and every details though….

The Z300/400 isnt exactly racers, naked sport-touring or something like that. Similar to Honda CB300F I would say….

canthai

Subscribed
Apr 8, 2015
If you pick up a CRF the 300 conversion - using all Honda parts - is 15,000 THB

Ughetto

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Mar 29, 2021
Yes Ian new crf L cc. price list is 145.500 Thai baht.
One friend say not enalfh power need to buy one small box for 10.000 baht
will give more horse power.
Now have only orange colour
this year will arrive white colour but more expensive
and nothing will change from another model.

Ughetto

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Mar 29, 2021
What I want to say is
for the traffic of Bangkok and Phuket
need something small.
For the rest of Thailand you can buy also Harley
not exactly because I see people with Harley follow down when they stop in the mountains.
Depend for what do you use
in Phuket I go to the beach I go bars I go touristic area 7 eleventhe market and restaurant
and for do something like this 90 por cent of the time and for the rest 10 por cent do a big trip
big motorcycle no have sense for me there
for the other may be have
but we are all different….
For someone may be only sit down in the sofa with slippery
just kiss the wife or girl friend or go to temple for pray
and may be don t knowthe real sense to drive something every day
make the difference:)

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Best idea is to rent & try a few bikes as Heineken says.

What is your budget?
There are a lot of bikes for sale 2nd hand and with knowledge of a budget limit you can narrow the field right down.

Have a look at a Versys 300.

The KTM Duke 390

Lots of these for sale for fair prices

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
What I want to say is
for the traffic of Bangkok and Phuket
need something small.
For the rest of Thailand you can buy also Harley
not exactly because I see people with Harley follow down when they stop in the mountains.
Depend for what do you use
in Phuket I go to the beach I go bars I go touristic area 7 eleventhe market and restaurant
and for do something like this 90 por cent of the time and for the rest 10 por cent do a big trip
big motorcycle no have sense for me there
for the other may be have
but we are all different….
For someone may be only sit down in the sofa with slippery
just kiss the wife or girl friend or go to temple for pray
and may be don t knowthe real sense to drive something every day
make the difference:)
Agreed! But TS mentiones in his opening post that he is looking for ideas for a bike for longer trips and «off the island trips». And on the island he already has his N-Max thats probably well fitted for island trips.

ceejay

Sep 4, 2021
I managed to borrow ( couldn't find a rental ) a Versys 300.
Tip toes for me!
Anyway, what's with the gearing, seems like first 3 gears have to be pretty rapid to move the thing along at any kind of pace.
Comfortable for me but not for the Mrs, height and seat comfort being the problem.
I was going to try a Duke, despite not liking the style much but don't get on with the riding position so left it at that.
I'm not keen on 2nd hand as most are Thai owned with little chance of proper servicing and care.
Basically, what's available right now as new is not appealing (Benelli are lookers but have high service costs and reliability issues).

Does anyone know of other models on the way, even if next year?
Otherwise the trusty xmax beacons...

Heineken

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Mar 2, 2019
Maybe the new Honda ADV 350 will be a candidate ?..................................available soon if not now in Thailand, will be typical Honda reliability with the looks of a smaller adventure bike.........................proven Forza 350 running gear, looks are a personal thing, I am looking forward to seeing one in person.........................................price is around 185k baht

16047200349801.jpg

ceejay

Sep 4, 2021
That does look interesting. Did some reading up and it's received heaps of praise in its existing markets. I will definitely check it out when it comes...

Ughetto

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Mar 29, 2021
Some of my Thai neighbors have Ferrari Maserati and Lamborghini and it's great to see a parked car covered with a towel just to show it and not use it.

There is a substantial difference between what you like and what you use.

I try to explain it to other friends who live in Phuket but evidently we are not all the same.

It's just my opinion of course you are free to buy what you want.

ceejay

Sep 4, 2021
Really not sure how you are applying your argument.
If I was wanting a showpiece I'd buy something completely daft for Phuket, like a CB1000R or similar and probably be dead very quickly if I ever used it in anger on the roads here.
I have an aquaintance that has an Aston in the UK but a Jazz here, exactly right in my book, anything of the same ilk as the Aston would be pointless on the very poor roads here and probably lose its exhaust, floor pan or sump pretty quickly.
The NMax is great for nipping about but not up to longer trips, which I currently hire a bike or car for (car only if large load space is required, quite rare). My fave old "tool" in the UK was a CB250Dream (not super dream), despite having a 125, 350 and a car in the drive at the same time.
I would love a retro-style "proper-bike" but it seems Thailand won't be seeing one to my liking any time soon. An Xmax was always the back up plan but the ADV350 also looks good and is well reviewed.
As I originally said, the CB350H would my favourite must-try if available and I was very disappointed with the Meteor.