Thai BMW Riders, and GS addict you will count a new member !

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi BMW Friend Riders (and all others, of course),

You'll count a new member within the Thai BMW communauty. Finally I can't resist and acquired a brand new R 1200 GS Adventure.

When I sent you some questions about it month ago, some Friends replied saying that with this "You are the king of the road" ...So, ,it was obvious...I can't resist to this appeal.

Let us meet on the road around end June.

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Marco,

From my first drive test in France, it was OK, my only wonder is that the Thai dealer will be able to tune it properly with the Akrapovic I ordered with the bike.

I was not "impressed" by the workshop, even if I saw some nice bikes too, but sometime appearence can lie, specially down here...

Did you went for the Garmin Zumo 550 ? Is it the right model to choose and are the map suffiiciently detailed to be able to escape Bangkok by "bike" roads ?

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Azoulay

Yes i have Zumo 550 and it suite my poupose and get me from A to B and sometime to C as well, im very happy ab it.

My only consern is on GS electrical problems and as Thai mec's in here they are not the best ones.
but lets hope you get good model.

If you pop in to Ubon area some time,, let me know,, lets take few or few more beers.. :wink:

scotty007

Subscribed
Feb 23, 2004
Hi Azoulay,

Great bike for Thailand!

I have had a R1200GS in Chiang Mai since 2005, and have covered around 22,000 of mostly troublefree kilometres.

I agree the BMW service is not fantastic but at least it exists here, and the diagnostic computer is available.

Adding the Akrapovic is not a problem as the bikes computer adjusts for it, not the mechanic.

The Zumo 550 is good, but be aware Garmin are releasing a new Zumo soon.

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
The New Bike GPS has Just Started Sales in the USA is the Zumo 660, It has a couple of Extra Features above the 550 none of Which work in Asia or Outside the States :shock: Also it has No side Control Buttons it is Touch Screen Only so in some Cases this makes it more difficult to use while Riding :? Given the Extra Cost i feel the 550 is a Better Buy :idea: By the Way I just Brought one and Will be giving it it's first Ride Tomorrow :wink:
Here is the 660 for those interested:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=135&pID=15000

http://www.gpscity.com/item-garmin-zumo-660/zumo660.htm

Enjoy Your Bike Azoulay, Maybe see you in CM one day 8)

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Ian Bungy wrote: The New Bike GPS has Just Started Sales in the USA is the Zumo 660, It has a couple of Extra Features above the 550 none of Which work in Asia or Outside the States :shock: Also it has No side Control Buttons it is Touch Screen Only so in some Cases this makes it more difficult to use while Riding :? Given the Extra Cost i feel the 550 is a Better Buy :idea: By the Way I just Brought one and Will be giving it it's first Ride Tomorrow :wink:
Here is the 660 for those interested:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=135&pID=15000

http://www.gpscity.com/item-garmin-zumo-660/zumo660.htm

Enjoy Your Bike Azoulay, Maybe see you in CM one day 8)
Just continue Ians point of view and i thinks and it's surtainly looks like that 660 is made more for the car, as designated bike GPS'ses have "Left" Hand buttons to make easy navigation for bikers.
I have ride with 550 now about 10K and it's nice.

also when i was meeting Ray in udon and as n his bike do not have fuel gauge, 550 is exelent for that as one of it's futures is Guel gauge and then you just push fuel meter button, it will shouws you all near by Gas stations,, sayng this one, is that IT"S ONLY working with bike ammounted bracket and NOT with car suction cup style backet.
but my points 5/5 is going to 550 :wink:

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends, Hi Marco and Ian,

And thanks a lot for this feed back on GPS and encouragements for BMW riding (a new experience for me, I was not used to the "Panzer" with the bikes I own up to now ...).

I will have now to wait for last part of June to test this Zumo 550, as we just came back to the mine (France) yesterday after a 11 hour TG flight... 9°C, grey and rainy, the "Mine" but who knows maybe we'll find some gold for the paradise...

Last year I bought a Garmin Nüvi 680, on sale, in the US and brang it over LOS and it works perfectly in the Toyota Tiger pick Up, good for car with a wide screen and all interesting functions, now loaded with Thai maps, but if it looks like the 660, it does not seems to be really featured for Bikes, look a bit "fragile"? anyway that's too late for me now as I ordered the BMW one (which is in fact this famous Garmin Zumo 550 stamped with a BMW Motorad logo on it)...

This summer when I will be delivered with the bike and as accurate the Zumo will be I intend to cross Thailand, going first from Bangkok to Cha Am (I think this would be the more difficult for me, as I don't know if the GPS will know the "bike way"), then Cha Am to Phuket (easy), then Phuket-Cha Am to Khao Yai (without passing to BKK, easy), then Khao Yai to Golden Triangle (CM, CR...) thus I hope to have the pleasure to meet you all according to the stops I will do.

Hope will be as well the opportunity to meet David in Chiang Mai (who avoid me when visiting Bangkok Red Baron few hours or minutes away !)

I am also preaparing a one week runabout trip to Lao and Cambodia and would be interested by all details about crossing to Lao and Cambodia thus I will be an assidue reader of GT forums along the 2 next months and who knows ...If someone want to join ???

When in the Cha Am neibourghood, an escape to Burma (if open) would be fantastic as well...L

These are my plans today, but as I advised to several Friends who intended to travel in LOS...don't make plans in Thailand !

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Azoulay

Simple answer to GPS "knowing" the way is YES, i riden that from Ubon all the way to Phuket and absolutely no problem, nothing to worry abt there.

Only thing is good future to use in 550 under the "Wrench" button, use avoidance and click toll roads on i also have carpool lanes and autobahns clicked off,, but i dont know if theose effect anything.

this will then guide you use other than Toll roads what you cant use in bkk anyhow.

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Marco,

Again my English went wrong, sorry ! When I meant knowing the way it was meaning about the allowed way to use with a bike.

In Thailand, riding a bike, my main problem is to escape from bangkok due to this f..g rules of bike not using the Highway, bridges and other silly things, I just wonder if the Zumo 550 is going to be accurate enough to indicate me the way to use with a bike, riding for instance from bangkok lad Krabang where I stay to for instance Cha Am ?

When I drive my pickup, with a simple GPS phone, it works perfectly as I am allowed to drive every where but what about biking ???

Muzz

Mar 27, 2007
Hi Azoulay. Welcome to the club and I hope you are very happy with the bike. I have the HP2 in Thailand. I will never sell the thing, I love it to peices. 30 years ago I'd never even dream of sitting on a Beemer, now to me it is the best motorcycle ever. Good luck and hope to see you out there somewhere!....

Muzz

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Muzz,

And thanks for your warm welcome, for me the acquisition of this bike -BMW 1200 GS Adventure- is the accomplishement of a rider/driver life...It will be the most expensive bike I even purchased.

I am quite happy about that and I failed there for a fully equiped bike (fog lights, aluminium cases, GPS, Akrapovic exhaust). I intend to bring from Europe few additional parts such as the famous air filter, maybe a Rapid Bike Unit (but I need to surf on forums to evaluate some advices). I already have the Touratech and Wunderlich (impressive) catalogs.

On an other hand, for sure I will acquire a tuning unit from TECHNO RESEARCH USA in order to tune/diagnose the bike by myself, like I already do with the Ducati in Bangkok... Men's toys !

I hope i will be happy with the bike, as with the age advancing, the ride of the Ducati becomes a bit tiring (too much bended position) and I discover that this bike -the Ducati- is really not made for Thailands where you can encounter big holes and lot of other surprises you should better anticipate even on nice roads.

Around 180 Kmh, that won't allow any chance.

As you, with the HP2 (congratulations, very nice bike, a state of art) I won't sell the Ducati (I call it sometime my mianoï) I love too much this bike that I improve by costfull accessories at each trip to LOS.

Would be great to meet, even you all BMW bikers and other for instance Monsterman, I will be back in Thailand around end June and will stay for at least a week in Cha Am before driving to Laos. I would then have to organise something.

Muzz

Mar 27, 2007
Azoulay, if you are still in Thailand later in the year, I will be back from Africa and Europe in September. I have another HP2 I keep in the UK and will be going with my brother who is taking his Triumph Tiger down to Morocco and an extended spin through Spain, Portugal and France then back to the UK! Have great trip, and hope to meet you sometime.

PS: Don't sell the Ducati, I have an immaculate 996 SPS in my house in Chiang Mai. I don't ride it, but I love looking at the damned thing.

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Muzz,

Thanks for the message, I'll be back in end June up to August then again in mid December thus would be delighted to meet.

Of course I won't sell the Ducati who is tuned and embelished at each trip (allways some Rizzoma or Ducati racing parts for her ....). That's my toy and it could stand in the Living Room as a decorative object...

Nowaday this bike is a bit too "violent" for me as the riding position is not idle anymore however what a pleasure when I open the power (sounds and propulsion.....) Specially tune (by me) with all racing parts and the famous RapidBike unit, a great bike !

But I should say not really "adapted" to Thai traffic and riding conditions.

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends,

maybe late to discuss as the bike is already ordered but what is your experience on flat twin (or fourth) air & oil cooled engine in Thailand where average temp is quite high, isn't it too hot, does it cool well and doesn't it consume oil.

Just a wonder about the air cooling as no water cooled system is on and I was wondering about it. Some will argue I should, already, have the experience with the Ducati (V twin air & oil cooled) but I never drived it more than 200 Km long (specially due to the constraining bent driving position.

Thanks to the BMeers for their advised answer.

Sep 4, 2007
Hi,
This Boxer engine is air and oil cooled and has an oil cooler, no fan. It has a temperature guage and my experience with the R1200GS, is that it maintains temperature extremely well until you stop. I turn off the engine for longer traffic light delays. The bike is still cooler to run in traffic than my fan cooled FJR with blows hot air at you once the fan starts. On the road no matter how long the journey, absolutely no cooling problems even in the last 2 hot months.
It did use a bit of oil in the first 10,000Km, seems to have settled down now, but may still use 1L every 5k or so.
You have made a great choice of bike for Thailands roads and climate

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi John,

Thanks for your answer, and happy you confirm my choice, I was admirating this bike in France where I spend the most of the year thus i said why not to invest in one, this will be one of my last bikes i think...

of course, i can't keep the bike as stock and already order an Akrapovik and other nice accessories to personalise the beast...

Thanks as well for your comments on oil/air cooling, it' s exactly like the Ducati at the differnce that in a Ducati the rear cylinder could be less cooled than the front one, in a flat twn such as with the boxer, we don't have this issue.

On an other hand the oil consumption you reported was very much acceptable. hope it will be the same for me.

Have a good ride and who knows aorund adrink once...