GT Rider Up Country Dinner # 2 - The Golden Triangle

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
NEXT ONE UP-COUNTRY:
Sat 20th Nov GT Rider Rendezvous Dinner Up Country. TBA - working on something up in the GT.

Either Chiang Saen or the Golden Triangle.
Just checking on 2 restaurants, but my preferred one is near the GT.

Let's see if we can double attendance on the 1st up-country one. Ho. Ho. :lol:

Note that the next day Sunday Nov 21 is Loy Krathong, so if you want to escape the LK mayhem in Chiang Mai you could spend Loy Krathong by the Mekong too, in either the GT (Sop Ruak) / Chiang Saen or Chiang Khong. Anyone should be cool, more traditional & more relaxing than Chiang Mai. Just a tip & idea.

For GT - Chiang Saen accommodation tips
and

Last edited:

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
From
monthly-gt-rider-dinners-t8634-50.html

Davidfl wrote: NEXT ONE UP-COUNTRY:
Sat 20th Nov GT Rider Rendezvous Dinner Up Country. TBA - working on something up in the GT.

Either Chiang Saen or the Golden Triangle.
Just checking on 2 restaurants, but my preferred one is near the GT.

Let's see if we can double attendance on the 1st up-country one. Ho. Ho. :lol:

Note that the next day Sunday Nov 21 is Loy Krathong, so if you want to escape the LK mayhem in Chiang Mai you could spend Loy Krathong by the Mekong too, in either the GT (Sop Ruak) / Chiang Saen or Chiang Khong. Anyone should be cool, more traditional & more relaxing than Chiang Mai. Just a tip & idea.

For GT - Chiang Saen accommodation tips
golden-triangle-sop-ruak-accommodation-t8333.html
and
chiang-saen-accommodation-t8157.html
Interesting my two preferred restaurants are closed / under renovation. Ha. Ha.
The new Krua Chiang Saen is still being built & a while off being finished.
The River at the GT is being renovated? & supposedly re-open for Loy Krathong?? But I'm not sure on that either.
So that leaves about 20 other establishments beside the Mekong.

For those who want to ride & rendezvous at the Golden Triangle for a beer - meal - chat: go, & let's make a dinner decision for a restaurant at the GT during happy hour?
We could pick something really good or really disappointing, & still have a great time by that magnificent river: The Mekong.
My suggestion arrive at the GT / Chiang Saen late-mid arvo & have a massage riverside in Chiang Saen.
5PM Meet up at the Sriwan Restaurant, opposite the Imperial Golden Triangle Hotel right at the Golden Triangle, & take it from there.
:lol-sign:

Oct 17, 2006
Dr Joe is trying to fix a burned out light switch, putting in a new belt, fine tuning my new HiT clutch, which is a real HiT. Because it enables now to go steeper inclines than before and at my desired speed. I had been hunting for this for 5 years.
http://goo.gl/W1In8.
So if all goes well, we will be there.

Pico + Sao

Any more girls going?

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
PICO-PICO wrote: Dr Joe is trying to fix a burned out light switch, putting in a new belt, fine tuning my new HiT clutch, which is a real HiT. Because it enables now to go steeper inclines than before and at my desired speed. I had been hunting for this for 5 years.
http://goo.gl/W1In8.
So if all goes well, we will be there.

Pico + Sao

Any more girls going?

<> Sorry, Sao. Thim and I won't be going. Loy Krathong is actually one of the few holidays I actually enjoy in Chiang Mai. Great views from our homes.

Oct 17, 2006
my ear drums have been at risk these days already. Some of these BBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMM are just unbearable loud.
I just wonder where they get the stuff, must be left overs from The Merchant of Death.

Oct 17, 2006
We always take it easy, 350 km is too much, where is a nice and lively place to stay over night. After say 250 km . If possible I don't want to be confined to a dark bungalow shortly after 6 pm.
Chiang Rai the only option?

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
PICO-PICO wrote: We always take it easy, 350 km is too much, where is a nice and lively place to stay over night. After say 250 km . If possible I don't want to be confined to a dark bungalow shortly after 6 pm.
Chiang Rai the only option?
Pico PIco
The Golden Triangle is only 250 kms via R118 - Chiang Rai - R1 - Mae Chan - R1016 - Chiang Saen - R1290 - Golden Triangle.
Chiang Saen is only 9kms from the Golden Triangle.

My plan is to leave late Saturday morning / mid-day & potter on up slowly the direct way as described above. ETA Chiang Saen / GT 3.30PM. I have a room booked at Golden Home.

For sport bike riders looking for a fast ride go via R118 - Mae Kachan - R120 Wang Nua - Phayao - R1 - Chiang Rai - Mae Chan - R1016 - Chiang SAen - R1290 - Golden Triangle.
For other riders who would like a more scenic ride leave Cnx "early" 8.30AM & go via R107 - Fang - R1089 - R1234 - Doi Mae Salong - R1130 - Mae Chan - R1016 - Chiang Saen - R1290 - Golden Triangle.
There is plenty of accommodation in both Chiang Saen & the Golden Triangle, but it would be advisable to book something if you intend turning up late, as it is the weekend of Loy Krathong & some places could be close to full, if not full.
Whatever the ride & the small towns are part of the adventure.
Watching a FULL MOON come up over the Mekong is an incredibly beautiful sight & to be enjoyed.

Oct 17, 2006
Thanks for taking the trouble, David. Interesting, google maps show 310km via 118 and 361km via 107, 101,118 and 327km via 107 Fang. That is quite a bit off, means google maps are not all the good? Or am I doing something wrong?

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
My ESRI V 11 GPS map shows 244 km requiring about 4 hours (that seems to be a bit fast) for a trip from Chiangmai to Chiangsaen taking the 118, 1 and the 1016 so I guess that Google Earth is a bit off.

Oct 17, 2006
Auke wrote: My ESRI V 11 GPS map shows 244 km requiring about 4 hours (that seems to be a bit fast) for a trip from Chiangmai to Chiangsaen taking the 118, 1 and the 1016 so I guess that Google Earth is a bit off.
Interesting , I did the samesame route this morning, 221 km !! Conclusion, do Google Earth twice. 300 plus seemed far to me in the first place but I never went direct to the Golden Triangle in the past.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Davidfl wrote:

Interesting my two preferred restaurants are closed / under renovation. Ha. Ha.
The new Krua Chiang Saen is still being built & a while off being finished.
The River at the GT is being renovated? & supposedly re-open for Loy Krathong?? But I'm not sure on that either.
So that leaves about 20 other establishments beside the Mekong.

For those who want to ride & rendezvous at the Golden Triangle for a beer - meal - chat: go, & let's make a dinner decision for a restaurant at the GT during happy hour?
We could pick something really good or really disappointing, & still have a great time by that magnificent river: The Mekong.
My suggestion arrive at the GT / Chiang Saen late-mid arvo & have a massage riverside in Chiang Saen.
5PM Meet up at the Sriwan Restaurant, opposite the Imperial Golden Triangle Hotel right at the Golden Triangle, & take it from there.
:lol-sign:

The old Krua Chiang Saen is now a Pub & Restaurant
img_1836.jpg

img_1838.jpg

img_1839.jpg

Called the Baan Phra Chann?
& probably worth investigating later on in the night; & I hope that the food & service is considerably better than the band's version of Cocaine they were practising on my inspection survey.

Oct 17, 2006
My bike ought to have recovered from surgery this afternoon. Made email reservation at Golden Home too, Family room. Hope it works.
A Goddess plus Princess Sao sounds almost like a divine-royal reunion perhaps we other commons get enlightened too.
Pico

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
I'm leaving from the Kafe at midday, heading up R118 only. ETA Chiang Saen 3PM-ish.
Picking up Gooding up at the PTT just past the outer ring road on the way North.
Should be a good one. Massage by the 'Khong. Watch the full moonrise, a drink & a bite to eat + "intelligent conversation". :thumbup:

Apr 23, 2006
I'll have a car load!
Fon & I, Phil & Pim + Steve - who is hoping to pick brains re. off road tracks everywhere & anywhere in Thailand.
See you at 5 opposite Imperial Hotel.