Kawasaki Big Bikes In Thailand

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Guys, please stop it (not the last postings), years ago we didn't even get one legal big bike here in LOS, just now there are HD's, Ducati's, Beemers, Triumph's, Yamaha's and even a Kawasaki available. Honda-Suzuki-KTM are still dragging their feet, they will be duly punished in time by dragging their feet. We were subject to illegal-non-registerd bikes. Things improved a lot, bikes are on offer but will/cannot be served on a silver plate to your liking. Time will bring solutions & a variety of bikes. If I would be a sales guy, I would consider first the clientele I have, naturally Thai people would be my first bet (64 Mio, even if 95% cannot afford such a bike but 5% are still more in numbers than us farang), what do they want, cruisers, sportsbikes........so I would import them. Please, please give the locals time to recognize our purchasing power and have them import bikes to our liking but.......we are still far off in big numbers, just keep this in mind........just honour the efforts some companies are doing already in our favour.......and stop whining like small schoolkids who miss their only and favourite toy.....just look at David's vintage pictures which are not too old, what was he driving not too long ago, a simple Honda 125.........

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
From Kawasaki today

Dear Mr.David,

First of all, We Thank You very much for your kindly support to Kawasaki product.

We would like to cooperate with you but our activity of big bike motorcycle will start around Aug'08.

We plan to release information around end of Jul'08, so we will deliver information to you as soon as the same time.

We hope for your kind understanding and Thank You very much again.

P.S. Now our showroom display all 250cc. like Ninja250, D-Tracker and KLX250
For motocross model , we display KLX250, KLX140, KLX140L and KLX110
Over 1,000 CC. are 1400GTR, Z1000 and ZX-10R.
Now you know, sort of...
This was in reply to a request for a list of models & prices that would definitely be available. So I read it that they still don't now exactly what & when & how much with rego.

Sep 4, 2007
For Ray,
To add to Franz's information, I also bought my 777,000 Baht Yam using the BAF finance co, introduced by Yamaha. I do not have a work permit and did not want to use a guarantor, so same as Franz, paid 40% deposit.
I had the same scenario with Tisco Bank when I bought my Fortuna, there it was 30% deposit requested with no guarantor. So finance is avaible to normal mortals, but beware the interest rate is not an APR.
The percent quoted eg 5% is added for each year of the loan the day it starts, so if you borrow 500,000 over 3 years they will add 75,000 day one and divide total by 36 to give you the repayment, eg 15,972 Baht per month So its not interest on the reducing balance, like most European loans. Still worthwile for me while money in UK bringing 6.8%, and exchange rates for £ bad.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
If I go that route I will probably just use the wifes name her credit is established here and a perfect pay record. Thanks I appreciate the info. good to know.

shanes

Feb 15, 2008
my mates brand new 2008 ZX10R was dropped off at his office on thursday , not 1km on the clock battery still had not been connected .
they will only bring 2 bikes in at a time he had to wait 3 weeks

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
Following on from Moto-Rex's visit, Kwackers lined up on the Rama 9 Showroom steps.

KwackersLR.jpg

Spoke to Channarong Nimboon, Showroom Sales Manager
ph 02 247 7935-8 Ext 113

He says to expect delivery in the first week of September.
The delay apparently is due to parts coming from Japan which was delaying delivery.

"Duh - but don't they make them here??"

Didn't make sense to me, nor to the Ambassador, who was chuckling away
on speaker phone!
K Channorong asked me to fill out a request card asking for earlier delivery,
which I'm sure went straight into File 13.
At prompting from HE in CNX, we asked him if an aftermarket pipe would require remapping - K Channarong said "No need". FWIW.
Perhaps a little checking on-line before accepting such as gospel.

Here's some phone pix of the 250s, for those who cannot get over to Rama 9

KLRLR.jpg

Evergreen KLX

DTRackerOrangeLR.jpg

Orange D-Tracker

DTrackerBlackLR.jpg

Black D Tracker - note the larger front disc compared to the KLR

HIKO

Nov 7, 2005
Rhodie

Probably the parts needed are parts for homologation. The delay in delivery is because they havn't got the Thai homologation yet and in order to get it some Japanese engineers must develop a new black box or something in order to pass the Thai (stupid) emission rules. Thailand wants to be in the front row in introducing tighter emission rules, even tighter than EU.

HIKO

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
Hiko

You're probably right.

Tho Bungy and I specifically asked if they had passed homologation,
and the manager assured us that they already had the bikes passed.
However, having been down this route with Triumph - it was 8 months before I got a plate - I can well believe your explanation.

Though, with the Triumph I did get the bike as soon as it landed and some 6-7 months before homologation papers had been issued.

Oct 17, 2006
Thai Homologation is just a matter of giving the correct government official and his mates the correct amount of money, what that amount is is negotiable. oh and sod the technical and scientific aspects.

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
Monsterman
That is a load of crock - speak to Yut @ Triumph about his experiences.
They would have dearly liked to have paid.
It was a long, agonising and tortuous progress,
where they were made to jump through all the the hoops, going by the book.
Similarly K Dom's attempts to homologate the Polaris Victory bikes have failed completely.
If that doesn't convince you, then speak to the Ambassador - he tried to do it every which way for his Chinese bikes.
Also, speak to K Tum @ Yamaha CNX.

If you are a legit Official Dealer, then you have no option.

Things, they are a changing....

FWIW the T&S has just spoken to the Kwacker manager in the local lingo,
and he now says that they are launching the 250 Ninja sport at the beginning of August
and as a consequence the manufacturing of the KLX/D-Tracker for the Thai market has been delayed.
I know, it don't make sense to me either.

But it looks like September at the earliest.

Jun 21, 2006
tropicaljohno wrote: [quote quote=ray23]Farang's can get hire purchase, even without a work permit.
At the Motor Show interest rate was 4.50%, now it is 5.00%

Ok time to teach me english again does that mean they can be financed at 5%, if so did they mention anything about down payment?
Hi Ray

have paperwork listing repayment options at my home

currently on Koh Samui for a week, will post payment form/details next week
Vulcanhirepurchase.jpg

Hi Ray

Here are the repayment options for a Kawasaki Vulcan, RRP 460,000 baht

I believe over here you pay interest on the full amount borrowed until the full amount has ben paid off.

In the western world you normally only pay interest on the balance not paid off yet

Hope this helps.....

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends,

Again nice to see the big bike business growing in LOS but what about progress on a better consideration, improved rights and others, a bikker could expect riding in the country.

Ridng in this country is stilll a very marginal activity for big biker, maybe should we lobby a bit more (access to highway, other lanes than only right one...)

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Thanks Tropr the do make it possible don't they. Spoke wth ( John form Khan Kean, we got to gte that man a handle :lol: ) He explained to me what I was running into with Yamaha in Chaing Mai he bought a really super bike there. He explained what I call the emision tests to me. That Apparently the bikes they bring in here are built for Canada, because the standards are similar. Might be why the guy to told maybe possible with a warrior but not the Road Star.

He spoke highly of the Chaing Mia operation. Well I have lot more time then money so I want to be very careful to get the right bike for me this time.

Your right on the loans here the only one that I will see a discount on paying off early is my home, rh there is panlaty but it's miner. The truck no matter waht it will be the full amount early or not.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
A little update.

Kun Pan is not hard to talk with if you get to her speak slowly, even better if you mix a bit of Thai into the conversation and ask her to repeat when you don't understand.

At thios poinyt that have the 900 Vulcan in tock and ready to sale it. The price qouted was 450K and somewhere around 1000 Baht for the plate and book.

The colors they have in stock at the moment are red and black. There is a factory blue. This would be confusing if I had been here for six years. Those are the colors approved by the government, so blue can be done but is going to problematic. Never forget TT ( Tis Thailand)

I live in Udon and I'm not riding in Bangkok, not a problem they will deliver it.

then came maintance, I doubt very seriously if there is anyone at least that I know set up to take care of a bike like this. They have set up an agreement with a the big Suzuki shop, to do repairs there and they will bring he mechanic to Udon to them. They also have similar agreement with a hop in Phucket.

Stand by when you talk to he she is an agreive sales person, but yuo can work with her.

Finacing is avialble just as John posted it, that w not a surprise he prety careful about what he says.

So the only thing remaining at this point is when i want to go to Bangkok and sit down on that critter and see how it feels with the back. Of course then there is also the money, so it won't be tomorrow :lol: Anyone want to buy a dragstar 400 with a book :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

One thing I'm not clear on is the HP rating I have seen both 49 and 54 anyone got a clue?

I did read a test ride up, he said it ahndles well. He took up 160 Klms, noticed a vibration, but said it would actually cruise at that speed. That w bit confusing to me. But no mention what the actual top end was. Bu, this is already a lot faster then I will be crusing at.

Apparently good low torque so good for Mae Hong Song.

So three things left a bit of money.

A trip to Bangkok, eye ball the critter and a sit down.

So far it is sounding like about the best deal I have seen in Thailand

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
I did a comparison of the 900 to the Dragtar 1100 as I know its comfortable bike

Vulcan

Wheel base 65 inches

Dry wieght 549 Lbs

HP 54

1100 cc

Wheel base 64.5 inches

Dry wieght 744 Lbs

HP 57

So in comparison better wheel base on the Vulcan, by one half inch

Weigth Vulcan 195 Lbs lighter, I think you will end up with a better HP rating to weight ratio with the Vulcan, How much that will change the ride good question, don't know.

HP the 1100 has more but it wieghs more I will call that one even

Can't buy the Dragstar from Yamaha in Chaing Mai and no fuel injection. So that means 520K through locak shop for a new bike and a dodgy book. Beign reaseymbled and no warranty.

900 factory bike 451 K Baht good book and two year warranty.

a little input please,I 'm no expert am i seeing This correctly as to comfort on the bike, my back is a huge issue to take into consideration

Dougal

Dec 18, 2007
Sounds right.

Benefits of a known new bike with legal book. 2 year guarantee. Fuel injection. Belt drive so no maintenance. The other interesting thing about it is that it has both air and liquid cooling.

But like you said Ray you got to go and sit on her; I'm sure you'll know how your back feels then.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Got Lucky a friend has a 800 Vulcan will let me take a short ride. That should tell the story. If it's even close I can modify modify a norm for me and not really expensive since I have done it so many times.

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
Ray, when comparing Honda and Kawasaki don't forget the resale value... For some reason they don't like Kawa much over here...
Question: Is the price of the KLR250 and the D-Tracker the same?
What exactly is different on those models, apart from the obvious 17" rims and street tires? Gearing? Steering head angle? Suspension? Carburation? - I'll go and google "KLR vs D-Tracker" but would appreciate some insider knolledge!
Looks like I gonna break my piggy-bank and get me a brand new Kawasaki... - - - Hey, let the good times roll!!

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Thanks Cpt. Dee has gracioulsy offered to let me test ride his 800 Vulcan should eb fairly similar.

KZ in all honesty had not thought at all about resale. I think Honda has some great bikes no doubt about it. But delaership for Big Bikes that I know of.

I like the Yamaha Dragstar, but it's not fuel injected, since I want at least four years out the Next one that might be important t with the gasohol issues. In speaking with the guy in Cahing Mai he said he "MAY" be able to get the Warrior not my style at all. But you know I'm sure they get lots of inquires that go no where. So cash on the table might change things a bit.

Part of the problem is the dealers only have certain bikes OK'd by Thailand. I beleive the Yamaha meet Canadian standards so I looked up those bikes. Came up with the Sliverado, it is fuel injected. PANG MACH :lol:

At the moment it's all research so no hurry. I'll be putting some Klms on the 400.

Moto-Rex

Subscribed
Jan 5, 2008
KZ wrote: Ray, when comparing Honda and Kawasaki don't forget the resale value... For some reason they don't like Kawa much over here...
Question: Is the price of the KLR250 and the D-Tracker the same?
What exactly is different on those models, apart from the obvious 17" rims and street tires? Gearing? Steering head angle? Suspension? Carburation? - I'll go and google "KLR vs D-Tracker" but would appreciate some insider knolledge!
Looks like I gonna break my piggy-bank and get me a brand new Kawasaki... - - - Hey, let the good times roll!!
There a little bit of info on these 2 pages that may help.

http://www.kawasakibigbike.com/specific ... acker.html

http://www.kawasakibigbike.com/specific ... LX250.html

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
Hi Moto-Rex, thanks for the links, I checked them out but it's fairly basic information. Gearing is listed for the KLR but not for the Tracker, that would be one way to see how different they are. Top speed would be different, too. - Is there anybody who has ridden both bikes and can tell if they are two completely different bikes to ride or if the differences are minor? - If the Tracker's suspension is stiff and the gears are way tall, I'd opt for the KLR and put on some tires that are close to street use. I got a street bike already.
Btw, you get my vote for best avatar - I'm watching "Addam's Family" with my 9 year old daughter and she really digs them!

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
What I dislike about googling is that there's so much interesting stuff to read out there, it keeps me busy for hours but in the end I didn't get the answer I was looking for (but downloaded tons of related stuff) --- :)
A quote I came across in some forum, dated 18 July 2008:
"Well to answer my own question, yes you can buy an all black D-Tracker in Thailand, I put my deposit on one yesterday, 155k inc VAT, green book and 3rd party insurance, have to wait 2 months for it though!"
That's cheaper than I thought!

Went to the Kawa dealer in CM yesterday. The young man in the shop went out of his way to be helpful. They have already sold 20 of them but don't know yet how many they will get in the first shipment. He suggested we try a provincial dealer, as they won't be selling too many.

Rang Bkk and they said they didn't have one to sit on??? Maybe the telephonist can't see them out on the road among the crowd?

Anyway, the lowdown on the KLX250 is: 151000 registered, official launch date 20 Sept., plate takes 2 weeks, but I guess that applies to Bkk residents only.

Seeing the only bike ST Bikes had was a 16 year old Honda Degree for which they want 150000 it looks like we will be buying a KLX. If they had an XR250 for sale they would want 200000 for it...

I suspect the prices for used 250's should come down a bit, if Kawa can sell any significant number of the KLX and D-T.

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
Was in Kwacker Shop Rama IX last week.
The manager let Richard ride a KLX round the car park a few times.
Quoted 149,900 OTR.
Launching 250 Ninja 20 August with KLX on 20 September.
2 weeks for 'normal' plate 4 for 'special' - I assumed this is where u choose
the number.