Suspension - what are you using / where to buy.

Discussion in 'Technical' started by DavidFL, Oct 16, 2014.

1. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator Staff Member

In response to posts on a thread Tweaking My Versys

Tweaking my Versys

A new general thread for riders to comment & recommend the after market shocks they are using

On my Africa Twin I ran YSS, Technoflex & Wilbers; now on the Versys I am running a Nitron, brought from Nitron (Malaysia) Asia in KL

Testing the shock on the computer

Every shock from Nitron in KL is built for you - they ask for your riding weight + preferred set up.
    With rebuild the shock is computer tested before & after the rebuild.
    The engineers are Nitron in KL are genuine craftsmen, making a shock just for you.

Nitron is a UK company. All parts are made in Europe. For the Asian market there is an assembly plant in Malaysia supplying S E Asia (Malaysia- Singapore - Thailand Indonesia) plus one in Japan for the Japanese market.

Nitron UK HQs: Nitron Racing Shocks, Home

Nitron Asia
    Facebook: Nitron Asia
    Nexus Racing: Nexus Racing
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  2. Loading...

3. DavidFL

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  4. Lee

Lee Ol'Timer

I'm using the Hyper Pro Street box for the Versys...25k from Red Baron Bangkok...the kit includes the full rear shock and front springs and the nifty yellow/purple stickers

I really likey...I can't comment on the difference from stock suspension as I bought the bike at Real Kawasaki in Bkk and rode it 700 meters to Red Baron and had it changed...but I love the ride and the adjustability is very useful and easy.

Would recommend it highly...just remember if you buy it make sure the tech(sic) doesn't install the fork springs upside down...I had no issues with the guys at Red Baron, they performed the install and helped me set it up for my weight...took about 2 hours.
  5. Hoghead

Hoghead Ol'Timer

The problem with Hyperpo is the one size fits all approach to the rear spring rate. It goes from 150 N/mm REALLY oversprung rate of 300 N/mm.

The clever Engineers at Kawasaki, using geometry and how the shock is mounted to the swing arm, have designed in a rising spring rate of 9.5%. (I suspect that the popular lowering kits for the shock f*&k up this geometry.) Not only is geometry a factor, but it appears that the stock spring is not linear per the specifications, (16 kg/mm) and there is a progressive rate from 15.8 - 19.1 kg/mm over the 55mm range. All this tots up to a 21% rising rate at the wheel which makes me all the more comfortable with a constant rate spring given my riding conditions.

One could make an arguement for a progressive spring and in fact mine is slightly progressive from 13.8 kg/mm to 16 kg/mm. This rate is what I determined is most suitable for my application, however the huge range of the Hyperpro is a failed attempt to accommodate both a 50 Kg Thai female riding naked to 2 x 90 kg twinkie eaters with all their baggage, and results in a huge compromise for most riders.

The Vendors are charging big money for these rear springs and there is no reason that they should not give you a spring calibrated to your weight and riding style. Nitron, Maxxton, Ohlins, and I am sure others offer springs to suit the application.
    Flogging the same rate spring to one and all is a cheap cop out IMHO

See my other posts on this subject - rant over
  6. Wald0

Wald0 Ol'Timer

Nitron sport and from and why from England?
    Because they did deduct VAT and in Vietnam I have to pay +40% taxes so it came 20% cheaper than from Malaysia... :/

7. monsterman

monsterman Ol'Timer

Tried hyperpro on my Ducati S4 in thailand and was not impressed at all ,,,,,change to Ohlins rear and Ktech/ohlins front now perfect but it was all expensive
    Just fitted a shock factory Mshock to my Monster 750 in Uk as old sach unit was dead after 27,000 miles the new M shock is fantastic half the price of an ohlins its probably just as good .

have used progressive and wilbers on HDs both are OK,,,,
    i fitted a Bitubo race shock to a Kawasaki track bike for a pal and it was very good

many people like Nitron but i have not used them .
  8. saxonator

saxonator Ol'Timer

I use Eibach springs on my XR400R for the front fork rated at 47 kg and Eibach rear shock spring for my XR250L, the spring with a heavier rate made a huge difference on the KYB shock, at the moment I am thinking of getting a YSS shock for the 400 - custom build only 10500.--. Also interested in the Ohlins shock from the CRF250L they offer, but not sure if can be made to fit on the 400. Anyone tried YSS or Ohlins Thailand yet? Would be nice to get some input.
    All my staff I get from race tech or ebay from the U.S
  9. DavidFL

The new guys in Bangkok to go to are

BDS Performance Co.,Ltd.
    77/6 Soi Suhkumvit 42 Rama IV Rd., Kluaynamthai
    Phrakanong, Bangkok, Thailand 10110

Operations and Engineering Manager
    Tel: (66) 098.275.2750

For GTR forum members you can pop by for a free Sag and Squat check.

More info here:Recommended Bangkok Motorcycle Shops
  10. Ejkracer29

Ejkracer29 Member

Well I are looking now to upgrade the spring on my D Tracker and I assume the US is the way to go. I will give the Thai brands a miss by a golden mile.. Race Tech or something along those lines suits me. Although I think they do not produce the spring to suit. I will leave the original shock and change only the spring
  11. DavidFL

12. DavidFL

Suspension – how much do you get out of your shock before a rebuild - the $64 question?

I had the AT for 15 years & clocked up 340,000 kms; I reckon that roughly every 18 months I had to rebuild the rear shock on the AT - & I had YSS / Technoflex & Wilbers rear shocks. It was always a pain sending it overseas for a warranty rebuild. I tried YSS for awhile, but sold the bike not long after.

On the Kawasaki Versys 650 I clocked up 100,00 kms; it had a Hyper Pro on it when I Bought the bike & it went to Italy under warranty for a rebuild – coming back several months later – not impressed. I then tried a Nitron & was very impressed; however it too needed rebuilding after 20,000 kms, which meant a journey to KL.

The rear shock on the Vtsrom is shot after 30,00 kms. The front fork springs are weak as well.

So what next?

Ohlins is going to be the go – get a shock with your own spring weight, plus get it rebuilt in country at the Ohlins plant in Chonburi.

But after all this & talking to the shock guys rebuilding my shocks I reckon that with the sort of “heavy” riding I do here you need to rebuild your rear shock every 15-20,000 kms.

We have a brilliant road network in the region; but the road surface is nearly always uneven, bumpy. Even the concrete "super highways" have little bumps, ripples in them at the start end of each section. Your shocks have to work all the time. We generally don't ride on smooth billiard table surfaces like you usually get in the west. Then chuck in riding fast in the endless twisties in the mountains & your shock really does get a hard work out all the time. For me it doesn’t last that long..

Does anyone else have any ideas /opinions?
  13. Ian Bungy

Ian Bungy Ol'Timer

I don't do the Mileage or Carry the Weight You do but 20.000 kms out of a Shock seems Disgusting to Me! If that is all they do they must be Total Crap! Surely they are designed to last Longer than that? I can't remember when I put the Ohlins on My Triumph Tiger 1050 but I guess I have done 40.000 kms or more on it and it is still fine? Maybe some research on Google is Required as there maybe a recommended mileage for Suspension before Servicing?
    David Learmonth likes this.
  14. John Aero

John Aero Ol'Timer

I am sure when my friend ordered an Ohlins shock in the US for his street bike few years ago they supplied it fitted with a spring that matched his weight or his expected combined weight at no extra charge – can’t find any mention of this on Ohlins site now though. I was interested in this as it was not offered in the UK.
  15. Hua Hin

Hua Hin Ol'Timer

Anyone know of any shops in Thailand that are competent with WP suspension? I'd like the rear suspension on my Triumph XCx a bit stiffer than I can get out of the adjustments but I'm not confident to mess with the springs on my own.
  16. jimmyklx

jimmyklx Ol'Timer

Ohlins on my KLX bought direct from factory in Chon Buri.
    Moto-Rex and scotty007 like this.
  17. DavidFL

You could check out these guys Hua Hin. Maybe ok.
  18. John Aero

John Aero Ol'Timer

From what I have seen and heard directly from other bikers I would treat any (and I mean Thai or Farang) mechanics with extreme caution - note David says "maybe". Suspension is precision engineered esp stuff like WP and needs a high level of technical knowledge AND special tools - easy to stuff it up if either is lacking. Can't you via an Trumpet XC forum find a shop in US or Europe that has the knowledge to modify yours and ship stuff to them - yes big issue when shipped back regarding duty etc but less that have someone here use "mole grips" on the tubes etc? If you do have it done locally suggest you sit and watch them - a novice can tell when the wrong tool is being used with a bit of knowledge - have a look at your bikes overhaul manual...
  19. Hua Hin

Hua Hin Ol'Timer

Thanks David.

John, being a mechanic myself I agree about the quality of most local guys. I have found a couple of Thais that are good at certain things and not others. I pick and chose who does what. I'm OK to do the work myself but I don't have the experience on changing springs and what not. Not much information on the internet about the XCx suspension and the overhaul manual doesn't have much detail. Hmm, never too old to teach myself something new I think...
  20. John Aero

John Aero Ol'Timer

If all you want is a stiffer spring can't you go back to WP and ask them (oddly their site is not functioning atm)- Ohlins for example do supply different springs so as to accommodate different rider / all up weights. WP is a good product which is prob why Rally Raid don't offer an upgrade - Thourtech do a shock but at a high price. As you say messing with the spring without knowledge could be a problem - appears lots of info on ADV just did a quick search for "XC suspension" in "British Beasts - Triumph Tigers".
  21. DavidFL