DavidFL

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Pak Beng & the Phu Vieng Hotel.
1615438354332.png

And what a dump that place was. But you gotta take what you can get.

Last edited:

Lakota

Ol'Timer
Oct 10, 2011
Xiangle is the Village my girlfriend comes from. It's a 'Laos Lue ' Village. Same ethnicity as 'Thai Lue' . When I met her 12 years ago the Village had a couple of communal bathing places. Very refreshing I recall. The Village girls would collect the days water from there with 2 buckets balanced over the shoulders on a bamboo or wood stick. You can see scars on the shoulders of many woman here who used to carry the water the same way for years and years. The bamboo mat walls on the houses are now being replaced with concrete blocks unfortunately.

Lakota

Ol'Timer
Oct 10, 2011
Girlfriend recognises quite a few of the People in the photo. Some of the Old woman and some girls she went to school with. One of her brothers is in one of the photo's too. She says the woman showing her 'monkey' in the river isn't Thai (Laos Lue) apparently ....... I would tend to agree. Her head dressing is unusual. They usually have a towel on the head in a particular style notwithstanding the pubic hair ... :)

She has sent the photo's to family and I guess the Village will be reminiscing about the good Old Days and the Handsome farangs