A boat question for any of you Aussieson the board....

Muzz

Mar 27, 2007
Anyone know where I can buy a little tinnie to stick on my car roof, so I can do a bit of fishing etc???? Wood is too heavy, a RIB is too wide, those tinnies that you use in upside downsville look like a good job.

Thanks for any help,

Muzz

Kiwi Cruiser

Ben Kemp
Staff member
May 26, 2007
Thailand
Don't think you will find a classic aluminium dinghy anywhere in the country, frankly. There are locally made polyethelene (plastic) dinghys - approx 8 - 9 ft size, that would do the job. Not sure where you are located - but there are several outlets for these boats in Chiang Mai.

The other option is a fishing kayak. :idea: Feel Free in Bangkok make a 13ft custom fishing kayak that is world-class. Not cheap - but good. And certainly cheaper than trying to import a tinnie! :lol:

Feb 28, 2010
I am not an aussie but I know the boats you mean after going fishing in one 10 years ago when I last visited. How much would it cost someone to make one I wonder?

Nov 2, 2008
Aluminium boats are available, as told by local CM fisherman, fabricated locally out of Aluminum though more commonly made outta of steel. The few boat shops around, not the plastic boat shops, can put you in touch with a builder.

I'll second that the Feel Free kayaks are well made, the Nomad model would be my choice for a light single person kayak.