October 10, 2008

This warden message is being issued to alert U.S. Citizens traveling to
and residing in Thailand that media reports indicate the People's
Alliance for Democracy (PAD) leaders have called for a mass rally at
Police Headquarters on Monday morning, October 13, 2008. Police
Headquarters is located on Rama I road, which is the same road that Siam
Paragon, Central World, and other large shopping areas are located. We
ask Americans to exercise caution if you are going to be in this
vicinity or in the area of any demonstrations.

We wish to remind American citizens that even demonstrations intended to
be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into
violence. American citizens are therefore urged to avoid the areas of
demonstrations if possible, and to exercise caution if within the
vicinity of any demonstrations.

For the latest security information, Americans living and traveling
abroad should regularly monitor the Department's Bureau of Consular
Affairs Internet web site at http://travel.state.gov, where the current
Worldwide Caution, Travel Alerts, Travel Warnings, and
health-information resources can be found. Up-to-date information on
security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll free in the
U.S. and Canada or, for callers in other areas by calling a regular toll
line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to
8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal
holidays).

American citizens traveling or residing in Thailand are encouraged to
register with the Department of State or the U.S. Embassy. The Embassy
is located at 95 Wireless Road in Bangkok. The American Citizen
Services Unit of the U.S. Embassy can be reached by calling
66-2-205-4049 and by e-mail at [email [email protected]][email protected][/email]. The after hours
emergency telephone number is 66-2-205-4000.

BJ

Aug 27, 2008
Thailand doesn't need this sort of publicity at the moment.
The tourism industry is already bad enough, and overseas travel will decline even further with the world economic situation.
Unfortunately it will be the poorer who are affected the most.

BJ

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
I fully agree but the root is the Poilitics not those reporting.

My understanding PAD cancelled the rally after the Pm's speech last night. The most positive thing that could happen is for calmer minds progress through this. What I find sad is I have not seen that on international news this morning. But it; early ion the day, we can hope latre.

Thailand is facing more then just this on the tourist side. The world economy is making more difficult to use money for play.

Lets hope the time has come for real and meaningful talks.

Then there won't be warnings issued.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Sorry guys eaqrly in the morning I passed the warning on for bikers headed to Bangkok, I would not have responded but I didn't notice which forum it was until it was to late. Not bike related my apologies

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Ray, no need to apologise, we are happy if also topics like this are posted, anyway it effects us all !!! Many thanks for the information above !! Cheers, Franz

BJ

Aug 27, 2008
Ray my comment wasn't to you.
Just about the protests causing bad publicity for Thailand.
I don't think a post on GT rider will create much of a stir for tourism. Most people here understand Thailand and that it doesn't affect us that much. The local peoples income will be affected the most. My partner works in a health resort and she has already had cancellations and they are down on their normal bookings for high season. So they have cut back on employment for their day labourers. And also haven't filled jobs for people who have left. So naturally that will affect our local community.

BJ

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Oh I didn't take it personally, this is my home and I hate to see what is happening. I doubt things are going to get much better for awhile I woke up to Cambodia threating war.

There is nothing we can do about these kind of things. But hopefully we can keep eachother out of harms way. Lots of places to ride here where there is no conflict.

What is happening is all about power and what happens to our Thai friends means very little to those who are making the decesions.

Just yesterday the finance minister I beleive announced a six point plan which including increasing Tourism and investors. He was so confident that he will hit 4% growth. That if the plan fails he will resign. Well they start shooting then he might as well pack his bags.

We have guys on the forum who run tours I doubt this helping them much either.

tetz

Sep 22, 2008
First, I found this forum some months ago. Thanks to those that post. I have learned much.

I love to ride and just ordered a new BMW R1200RT to ride here in the states. Money is getting tight, but my two hobbies are riding and travelling.

I have been lucky to have been to Thailand on one trip...back in 2006. I fell in love with it.

Yes, the economy is bad all over the world, but I am determined to return in early 2010. I aim to kill two birds with one stone, travel and motorcycle riding.

I keep my eye on the baht to dollar exchange. I wonder why the dollar is going up in most of the world, yet the exchang rate remains steady at 34 baht to the dollar? I believe the Thai government has a strong role in the value of the baht. I wonder why they don't prop up foreign currency? This would improve both your exports and tourism.

I have gotten away from the REAL reason I decided to post. The current political problems within Thailand is not enough to keep me away.

So with some luck................Chiang Mai 2010!!!

Again, thanks to all of you that have taken the time to post. Many of us are not lucky enough to live where you do...and live thru your eyes.

Tetz

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Good for you. The questions your asking is very complicated. The short answer the baht is managed.

http://www.bis.org/publ/bppdf/bispap31p.pdf

There is a ton of info on the net about this some of going for two years now. So I won't go anyfurther then this. Try Thaivisa or Udonmap and you will find enough info to be as confused a the rest of us.