Asian Motorcycle Adventures Trouble in Laos

Jan 13, 2007
Trouble in Laos....Indeed.

Greetings Chaps. My name is Nick Ascot, Director of the Thai and Laos travel company North by North-East. I have reported Mr Resnikoff to as many Thai and Lao police agencies as I can. I have given David U copies to show any and all comers.

It was me whom Mr. Resnikoff called upon for help when he planned to enter Laos. Despite what I considered to be his shoddy last-minute preparation (he called me from the Thai / Lao border, saying he had 12 riders with him, waiting to enter Laos), I thought I should assist him in entering LAos....if for no other reason than professional courtesy. I mean, we all THOUGHT he was a licensed Thai tour agent. After the accident the Lao authorities came to me looking for answers. That started 3 weeks of full time on damage control (which means the biz is moving backwards instead of ahead).

Much happened which became clear after the fact and after much research. I can summarize as follows:

Reed used several companies as he did me to get bikes across borders; to get guides; to travel etc...all under the wire so to speak (illegally). It would have cost very little more to do the job correctly (by paying the correct fees for insurance; by notifying the appropriate authorities etc). HAD HE DONE IT RIGHT, Yoi would be out by now. Although he still would have been held responsible (since he drove the car involved in the death of the Communist Party's Golden Boy), but the whole ugly incident would be over now. The injured and the family of the deceased would have been paid compensation sums by the insurance company. Simply, a little care would have prevented Yoi's incarceration, and would have kept Reed from having to become a fugitive from justice.

Frankly I am surprised at Reed's nigardliness: he comes from a wealthy NY background, was a fur trader, and only works/plays with motorcycles cause he loved the hobby.....not cause he needs the money. He CAN afford to buy Yoi out RIGHT NOW by paying off the families of the injured and deceased in Laos. But I think his vanity will not allow him to ask his mother for money. He would rather let HIS OWN STAFF ROT.

I do not hate Reed. That would waste too much of my time and energy. He already cost me and my staff in 2 countries a GREAT DEAL of time and expense. But Yoi should NOT be saddled with the entire responsibility here (20 years in LPQ prison?).

In summary: I conclude that Reed is dangerous and should not be allowed to continue in this way, and that probably means being arrested. If he is not, more people will be unknowingly exposed to a great deal of risk. Motorbike riding aint like synchronized swimming man....it is not a forgiving environment, and it should be expected that accidents happen...thus we buy insurance to protect our selves and spread the risk.

I hope you guys catch him, cause the Thai cops seem not to give a damn.

Peace,
Nick

123004476-O.jpg

123004477-O.jpg

brat

Aug 15, 2005
We went across the Mekong at Chiang Khong (small river boat), then sat the bike (200kgs) on the front of a tour boat to take it down river to Luang Prabang, swapped boats for the second day, cost us 356,000 Laos money each day for bike and 2 passengers!

mekong1.jpg

No hassles except got sideswiped by a minibus going up out of Luang Prabang, police were on our side as the Laos driver cut the corner and was speeding, they even mentioned we could get damages if we pursued it.

Happy to be alive, doing full trip report!

Aug 31, 2005
So you finally made it to Laos. Are you heading to Vientiane? Send me an email. I can be reasonably useful.

Nov 14, 2004
Hay Brat, keep flying the flag for us Ozzies who cant be there[8D]
Keep the picks coming too....Scott..Land of Oz.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
20 thou collected at the Horizons Unlimited Meeting in Chiang Mai is with the Snail en route to Yoi, still in the jail in Luang Prabang.
Meanwhile contacts in Chiang Mai advise that Captain Chaos, alias Reed Resnikoff, left Thailand by TG970 on Dec 7, bound for home in New York.

Snail

Subscribed
Nov 2, 2005
Cnx
The package has been delivered! I arrived in Luang Prabang yesterday afternoon and contacted Yoi's girlfriend who was already there. I met here this morning at 8.35 am at the Police Station and felt extremely unwelcome; not by her, but the "officials". After waiting around for a little while in the belief that I would be able to speak with him I was told I couldn't(no reason given)soend of story. I passed the said amount to his girlfriend fulfilling my responsibility to the people who were kind enough to donate. Wish there was more to report but it's out of my hands, so to speak.

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Jeez, I know Yoi has had it VERY tough but not even being able to have a visitor is bloody rough. Hope his lady has the good enough sense to "drip feed" the cash to him to hopefully make life a little more comfortable if a bulk payment isn't gonna get him out in the forseeable future.

Cheers,

Pikey.

brat

Aug 15, 2005
I can't believe the people i dealt with and the one's encountered in these stories are in the same countries!

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
quote:

Originally posted by brat

I can't believe the people i dealt with and the one's encountered in these stories are in the same countries!

Brat
??????????????
You've got me on this one - what gives?
Sounds like you got a totally wrong impression about something / someone on your trip?
It would be interesting to know what & whom & where?

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Latest News
On the 11th Feb Yoi will supposedly be moved from the Luang Prabang prison to the Vientiane prison. I'm sure life in the Vte nick will not be as pleasant as in LPQ.
I also feel that it will be more complicated - more officials involved - to secure his release from there.
On the positive side it will be out of the jurisdiction of the LPQ police & a certain police officer who refused to provide the contact details for the next of kin to Yoi's g/f while she was in LPQ last week.
Gayson, Yoi's g/f wanted to speak direct with the next of kin of the killed govt official but the friendly police officer handling the case insisted she only deal with him, & that the required amount of money was 500,000 baht. Gayson’s, intention was to offer 100,000 baht (an amount she can raise / borrow in Thailand) to the next of kin and see how they reacted. Gayson then returned to Cnx, after leaving Yoi with a few thousand from the 20 thou collected at the HU Meeting in Cnx.
It is possible that once the 11th approaches the hard line approach of the police officer in LPQ will change & he might change his attitude significantly. The next of kin might also be more realistic & nominate a feasible amount.
Time will tell, but still no assistance from RR himself.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
News just in is that an final amount of 250,000 baht has been agreed on in LPQ & Yoi will be released.
A senior Lao cop from Vientiane who is a friend of Thai cop who is a friend of Yoi or one of his relatives has been negotiating in LPQ.
Supposedly the money has been promised by the one who fled the scene ASAP = Capt Chaos alias RR.
The deal is to be done in either Chiang Khong or Houei Xai (probably HX) at the end of this month - March 2007. Almost 5 months after the accident.
Meanwhile RR still hides in the USA but his AMA website is running as usual & soliciting customers to be guided Mr Manop the Thai guide who also fled Laos with RR. It's amazing what these guys can get away with, eh?

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
Santana

You have an interesting perspective on this affair.

Perhaps you have heard RR's account of what happened?
If so, then we would all be interested to hear his side of this tragic story.

You appear to be concentrating on a personal beef that has no relevance to the issue at hand and what appears to be intentionally obfuscating the overriding issue of CORPORATE RESPONSIBILITY for actions RR's employee caused.

One begats the other - and for the organiser to cut & run from the scene AND then to abscond from Thailand, shows no responsibility at all. As does, I may add, running a tour operation without insurance.
It is also on the face of what "facts" are known probably criminally negligent. To suggest, as you do in an earlier post, that it is not RR's business, problem or responsibility is absurd.

Accidents happen in this part of the world, as in any other. If you are running a show of this nature, then you should be properly insured! It is that simple. It would help if RR had a spine "to stand tall before the man" when things go awry. But I understand that is not in his nature.

I may remind you David did all he could to help someone out and resolve this issue at great cost of time & money to himself - assisted by others from the GT fraternity. Not skulk away in some bar in the Bronx!

Perhaps you can urge your chum to do what he should have done in the first place and assuage a grieving Laoation family and the governmental authorities as well as providing assistance to his employee and not continue to rely upon the charity of others.

Cavalier actions like RR's only have the potential of ruining the pleasure as well as the lives of many others - bikers & Laoations alike.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
quote:

Originally posted by Santana

Davidfl when you are in the same situation like Reed how much you spend ???????

Last week spent 2 hrs with Yoi at the prison, plus 4 hrs with the police officer handling the caase.
Still no contact from RR/AMA OR 1 baht - confirmed by both Yoi & the police.
Now regarding money "Mr Santana," Yoi says that Reed / AMA had back-to-back tours of North Thailand / Laos with the same 11 customers & grossed 3 million baht. Not 1 baht of that has even gone to help feed / clothe Yoi in the jail. That does not seem very reasonable to me.
Once the case gets to court, Yoi is looking at 4 years, less time done & once he has been sentenced he has to do his time with no buy out even if he comes up with some money.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
UPDATE 24TH JULY
Yoi's still in the nick & supposedly the case is now with the public prosecutor before going to court.
The magnanimous RR has deposited 250 thou in a Cnx bank account & Yoi's brother-in-law is in LPQ right now (yesterday he saw Yoi at the prison) trying to secure his release and UNBELIEVABLY a written clearance for RR to resume tours in Laos. No written clearance for the heroic RR & NO PAYMENT for Yoi. Makes you wonder doesn't it - who's welfare is RR interested in? But for me, how low can you go?
Robert H and Rhodie are both in LPQ at the moment, wining & dining my wonderful LPQ contact who's been looking after (feeding & clothing) Yoi for the last 9 months , so perhaps we will have more revealing news in the next day or two. Stay tuned....

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
I am Amazed that he would want to Go back doing something he is Obviously Not Good at??? This isn't the First Trouble he has had!!! I am Sure that even if he gets the Permission and Yoi finally gets Freed that he will get his Just Deserves eventually. I myself wouldn't be to Happy if i was left in Jail for what is fast approaching a Year??? Lots of other People have Long Memories he would be a Brave (or Stupid Man) to even bother returning to Asia.
Cheers Ian.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
UPDATE 27 JULY 2007
The brother-in-law's back from LPQ & naturally no luck - 250 thou is not enough & no exoneration for RR.
Fortunately he was able to meet with the next of kin & they expressed great disappointment that there had been absolutely NO contact or apologies from RR / AMA.
So Yoi is still in the nick, & after 9 months is in poor health & finding it difficult to walk - gout in both knees.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
The title of this thread has been changed to include the AMA name. The reason being is that we know that AMA is still soliciting customers for tours in both Laos & Thailand, despite the fact RR is still hiding in America while he is wanted by police in both Laos & Thailand.
We do not think this is a good thing & any potential AMA customers should be aware of the facts before signing up on an AMA tour.
The Thai driver is still in the jail in Laos & no nearer to release, because the Lao authorities, injured parties & next of kin still have yet to receive one baht compensation from RR / AMA, after almost 12 months! This is hardly satisfactory & shows how little respect AMA has for their staff & / or victims of accidents involving their vehicles.

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
It is unfortunate that about the only thing going for AMA is that they have a good website. Poor Joe Schmoe (like me) sitting in Farangolia will see that website and not know there are other, far cheaper avenues.

I think it is a disgrace that RR has left Yoi and his family to try and find what to them is a fortune to buy his freedom. RR would probably make that money from only one trip at the prices AMA charge.

I know it is hard for GT-Rider to recommend one person over another, being somewhat a democracy, but a thread on good guides for those that want one would be a positive.

just my 0.652986 THB.

Cheers,
Daewoo

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
The best gide in Laos has to be Thongkhoun from GreenDiscovery.
ww.greendiscovery.com
A remarkable off-road rider in his own right, he guided my son & I for 8 days with great humour & knowledge over the mountains of Laos.
TR1LR.jpg

Thongkhoun is the rider in black!
Trip report coming when R[my son]finishes it!
Though Green Discovery's ability to organise has been severely setback by the departure of Miss Quynh, if you can get Thongkhoun, then a package can be put together.
Bikes come from Fuark - the best available.
You do not need to look elsewhere, if you can get Thongkhoun confirmed.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
One year on & Yoi's still in the jail, abandoned by AMA & RR.
RR's still in the US trying to clear his name from a safe distance so that he can return & start operating as if nothing ever happened.
Meanwhile Yoi's slowly but surely rotting away.

The case is with the Police prosecutor & will eventually see Yoi locked away for several more years.
Too bad RR never showed some sincerity, or apologised to the Lao people who suffered from his company actions.
Too bad RR never compensated the Lao victims one baht / dollar.
Too bad RR never paid one baht to help feed & look after Yoi in jail.

If you're going to Laos on a motorbike, or in a car, make sure you have the full Laos 3rd party insurance. Because if you have any sort of accident with another vehicle or persons, it might just keep you out of a Lao jail for many years, whether it is or is not your fault.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
He's out! Unbelievable - Yoi arrived in Chiang Mai 3 days ago.

340415993_uTQa2-M.jpg

340416009_kw4ds-M.jpg

I had a long informative chat with Yoi tonight. It's a long "unfinished" story, with more details & info to come, but Yoi is extremely grateful to GT Rider for the food delivered in LPQ to keep him alive, plus the pressure from this board on Asian Motorcycle MisAdventures. Without it he believes he would have been left to rot in jail.

jimoi

Nov 17, 2004
As I thought all the negative news on AMA would be a disaster for any business, I made an inquiry to purchase the url's from Reed. A simple request since I thought for sure the trip dates for 2008/2009 were an error on his website. Not so! My interest in working with him is related only to the clients, I am not a partner nor will I be a partner of AMA. I'll buy it for $ 4.00 if he wants to sell.

Reed,
I'm not sure if you are actively running tours but tour dates are listed on your site for Thailand and Laos. My company, Remote Asia Travel would be interested in purchasing your url if you are stopping operations. Please advise if you are up or not. If you are running, we are a legal Lao tour company and may be interested to work the Lao end of your tours but with conditions.

Jim Barbush

The reply I got a few days later:

We are up and running.

Fantasy Motorbike Tours Now A Reality

ASIAN MOTORCYCLE ADVENTURES
P.O. BOX 172 PRASING POST OFFICE
CHIANG MAI, 50200, THAILAND
[email [email protected]][email protected][/email] / www.asianbiketour.com
TEL.: (66-53) 275908;FAX: (66-53) 329196
+7 GMT