Bike on train CM->BKK?

Sep 11, 2007
I have just arrived in BKK where i am working. Its lovely here, but i had to leave behind my beloved KTM 250exc, so i am after a bike - something like a TTR, DT, CR, XR, XL or DR, but i am living in bangkok where there dont seem to be that many. i just heard on another forum that you can transport bikes on the train from Chang Mai to BKK. Is this true, has anyone done it?

also, anyone selling a fun bike? looking in the 30-65000BHT mark.

your help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Paddy

Jun 21, 2006
it cost me 1,500 baht to mail 250cc dirt bike Bangkok to Phuket, which is about the same distance Bangkok to Chiang Mai you just take bike to a regional post office, no need to drain petrol etc, just have to find which regional post offices do it in BKK

Jun 21, 2006
Our post office in Phuket has a large poster in the window, on the poster it shows a picture of a Vespa scooter, washing machine and a fridge. All can go thru the post office so if you happen to see a poster at your local p.o, you know they can send bikes from there, but obviously ask anyway.

good luck..

pee

Mar 10, 2006
I have put my bike on the train Bkk-Chiang Mai. I declared it weighted about 130 kgs (DRZ 400). Price: about 1000 Bahts(+ tips for the guys helping with the bike lifting on to the train).
They take your bike only if you travel on the same train. Best to enquire before which trains take bike. Not all do.
You are also supposes to provide your own rope. Simple stuf is best.
Sometimes I have been asked to produce the green book.
I find it's a good option to avoid boring straight asphalt when leaving Bkk.

Apr 10, 2006
Call me old fashioned but why not just ride a bike down from Chiang Mai. If your riding in Bkk you'll need to have a plated bike anyway.

Oct 12, 2005
Paddy,

Yes you can ship the bike via train. i did it from BKK-CNX with my KLX 300 and cost about 1300 baht. They tie it down with 1/8" string in a frieght car so if you're leery bring your own tie downs. You can supervise the tieing and loading no problem.

Paddy why not just trade me your KTM EXC for my plated KLX and I'll deliver it to you at no cost :) :) . I think it will solve all your problems....and mine :) .

The reason he probably wants to ship the bike is its a dirt bike with low gearing for offroad, and its an absolute bore to slog along paved roads at 80k. I Just got back from an offroad trip to Cambodia and chose to ship the bike from BKK to CNX to avoid exactly that situation. 400k on a streetbike is a breeze 400k on a knobbied dirt bike on the highway is drudgery.

Sep 11, 2007
yup, you got it right there... if i was to ride it down i would have to go to GM, then ride it back the following day.... no thanks, i like to take my time.

as regards the KTM... hmm. maybe not... plus, its in the UK, so that might be a little too much of a shipping charge..

thanks

Paddy