Bike Touring in Myanmar.

Nov 12, 2013
A mate and myself are keen to have a bit of a bike trip around Myanmar.
Question,are we allowed to have self guided tours?
And,can we bring rented bikes in from Thailand?

The organised tours seem a bit pricey.....but due to changes with work am looking at coming there in a couple of weeks and don't have much time to research!

Thanks,
Rick

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Poompui;296443 wrote: A mate and myself are keen to have a bit of a bike trip around Myanmar.
Question,are we allowed to have self guided tours?
And,can we bring rented bikes in from Thailand?

The organised tours seem a bit pricey.....but due to changes with work am looking at coming there in a couple of weeks and don't have much time to research!

Thanks,
Rick
Currently the only way in is with an organized tour. There is a lot of paperwork necessary which they usually complete for you. A 'couple weeks' is not nearly enough time to organize.

Doing it with a rental bike is possible and are used by some of the tour companies. The problem is that the bike information has to be submitted well in advanced for the permits and that would be difficult to arrange with the rental company unless they are working with the tour.

Dec 27, 2007
[h=3]Where the hell can I drive in Myanmar anyway?[/h]Taking a Thai-registered bike into Myanmar is still a big headache and expense. I'm not a big fan of guided tours and it seems there are plenty of options for doing your own thing in Myanmar.

Whatever you do, BE CAREFUL and DO NOT get banged up in Myanmar! Checkout this nightmare tale from a fellow biker who got busted up in Myanmar recently:

Myanmar - Ride, Enjoy, Crash, Evacuate

^ I don't post this to scare or dissuade you, just to make you aware of the risks. Let us know how it goes!!

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
That's really an informative link Tony. Thanks. Some great photos and good information. i don't really like guided tours either, but sometimes you have to do what it takes. Also on my trips the organizer and 'guides' were close friends. In reality, the riding wasn't much different from what we do many times. We just don't call it a 'guided tour'.

Jan 9, 2011
Anyone has any idea how much for bike rental in Myanmar? And what are the requested papeworks for us to legally ride the rental bike in Manmar?
Thanks.

Mar 7, 2014
SilverhawkUSA;296495 wrote: Currently the only way in is with an organized tour. There is a lot of paperwork necessary which they usually complete for you. A 'couple weeks' is not nearly enough time to organize.

Doing it with a rental bike is possible and are used by some of the tour companies. The problem is that the bike information has to be submitted well in advanced for the permits and that would be difficult to arrange with the rental company unless they are working with the tour.
Try Diethelm travel. They reportedly need 45-60 days to organize everything. Best would be if you contact them about 3 months before your intended travel, or a minimum of 60 days or 2 months if for some reason you can't organize yourself earlier.

Dec 23, 2007
VietHorse;302467 wrote: Anyone has any idea how much for bike rental in Myanmar? And what are the requested papeworks for us to legally ride the rental bike in Manmar?
Thanks.
Zach rents bikes form $10-25/day depending on what u want.in Mandalay. Lots of places are open, all u need is any drivers license.
http://www.mandalaymotorbike.com/
Also u can rent for $8 at most hotels (thats what i paid)
Had a few good trips last july http://www.reitman-photo.com/p542381057
an this past april around Mandalay

canthai

Subscribed
Apr 8, 2015
TonyBKK;296499 wrote:

^ I don't post this to scare or dissuade you, just to make you aware of the risks. Let us know how it goes!!
Damn ! Glad to hear you recovered nearly 100%

Dec 23, 2007
I just did the Chindwin river by boat an rented bikes in a few cites, Now would like to head back and do a complete tour of the chin statethis is the area /route i want take, https://goo.gl/maps/gSZemT3uPUB2

Would rent bikes from zach in Mandalay figure 8-10 days on the road an we could take the boat back to Monwya or the road.

This area gets less than a few hundred people./year. lodging would be in gh with no attached bath an electric in most places 6-9pm only, does get very cool at night, mid teens, roads are mostly paved but some hard packed dirt and rocks

i was up in upper Myanmar in the past 2 weeks and many nights slept under a blanket

PM me or send me an email  [email protected]

Pep

Oct 4, 2016
Spain
Good evening, We would like to rent a motorbike in Mandalay and travel around, inle and bagan. Could confirm me that it is possible. We have an International licence drive, is it all we need ? Thank you to tell me if we must to have any autorization for this motorbike tour. I will expect you answer. Regards.

TimBurma

Sep 23, 2016
Mandalay, Myanmar
Tourist are banned by the ministry of hotels and tourism from riding motorbikes in both Bagan and Inle. There is a permit, but it costs a bit. It has been done without, but if you get stopped in those two areas, there might be an issue. All other tourist areas, except Yangon, are fine to ride in.

TimBurma

Sep 23, 2016
Mandalay, Myanmar
It's an odd situation. The rule was made by the ministry of hotels and tourism, but the traffic police are under the ministry of roads and transport. Because it's a rule made by a different department, they don't always enforce it...but they can. I run a bike rental here in myanmar, and of all the people I've rented to, only one has ever had trouble with this rule. It still remains a rule, and they can choose to chuck the book at you if they wish. If you come on one of those big guided tours, it's very likely the tour company had gotten the license for you as part of the package.