Bike with invoice, no plate, whats the deal ?

deckx

Feb 21, 2008
What are your options if you have a bike with invoice papers but no plate, are these legal to drive on the road ? what do you need to produce if stopped by the local plod ?? (pattaya)

Also if you have a second bike lying about could you put that plate on your new bike so as not to draw attention ??? ie is there lettering on the plate which indicates model or year ??

Is there another option of getting a red plate ??

cheers,
declan

Oct 17, 2006
this has been done by me and other people whilst waiting for registration..but carry a photccopy of the import papers and basic insurance if possible .

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
Interesting development I have just come across.

Tax disc's will now show the number of the insurance policy, embedded when you get the disc. Therefore when you apply for Tax, you can only do so with Insurance papers in hand.

Ding ! :idea: No plate & Tabien etc = No Tax = No Insurance sticker anymore !

So as monsterman says, carry a photocopy of the import papers and basic insurance if possible.

Ally

Nov 14, 2006
My thai biker friends told me before that the cops cant confiscate a bike if you have an invoice. But with no papers whatsoever, its ok for the men in brown to take the bike. Its not common, but has happened.

Regarding putting a plate from another bike on your bike, i wouldnt recommend it. Having a fake plate on the bike is worse that driving without a plate.
I was about to have a plate made for one of my bikes before here in bkk, but again some friends advised me not to, since the plate is a issued from a government department bla bla, so it would be like forgery to have a plate made. The fake plates they make in shops dont have those tiny numbers in a corner. Same goes for the insignia in the other corner.

Brgs,
Tom

deckx

Feb 21, 2008
Last year when i was waiting for a plate, i was still fined even though I had papers from the shop with me but he wasn't interested.

The plate that i was going to put on my new bike is from my old bike. I also have a scooter plate lying around. Both are with books. I was going to put a plate on so as to not draw attention to myself more than anything else. Supposed you're screwed if you have an accident thou :?

I don't have the time to go through the hassle of getting registered and if you are stopped you are going to be fined for something one way or another. :?

anyway i'll keep a copy of the invoice papers with me. Can i do this indefinatlely ?? cheers

Oct 17, 2006
deckx ..why cant you be bothered with registration ..sure it can take time and money but it is worth it for peace of mind.

Nov 14, 2006
I dont really know how this thing works with the invoice papers, i guess the thais tell the cops that 'the bike is about to get the registration, thats why i only have invoice papers right now'. Some bike shops give you a paper that 'confirms' this too, if you buy the bike from them.
Then again i think this is easier for a local to get away with, than for a farang.

I dont think it would be worth it all though, in case of and accident as you mentioned. Slamming into some fancy new benz would set you back quite a lot i guess.
How old is your bike? A registration is somewhere between 40-80k i think.

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
A couple of weeks ago I bought a 2003 VTR250 with 3500km on the clock, like new, no registration, no plate. On my way back, still in Bangkok, the cops flagged me out of traffic - they'd seen me on the monitor in their AC police box. They gave me a long talk in thai, I didn't understand a word; I produced the sales contract and the invoices of frame, engine, aso, told them I was on my way to Red Baron's (true) to get my bike legal (not true). They went on, finally I called a friend to translate. After a long talk with the cop she told me that there are two serious problems: my bike as such was imported in parts and not supposed to exist as a vehicle moving in traffic - I proved that by showing them the invoice! The second problem was that I hadn't payed any taxes and thus cheated the kingdom of Thailand out of serious money. She told me they're going to impound the bike. Well, I've been here for a while and asked her to "work something out". To make a long story short, it took at least another 20 minutes of back-and-forth phone calls (my phone battery was almost empty afterwards) to get them from 5000 THB to 3000 THB and then to 2000 THB - they wouldn't go lower than that. After I paid, they were my best friends, waving me off. I got their telefone # in case I was stopped again, but had no problems getting home.
Here in my village I ride the bike every day and have no problems at all.
I guess if I would have hung my Wave plate on the bike they wouldn't have stopped me.
What's the final word on being able to insure and tax a bike without papers?

deckx

Feb 21, 2008
monsterman wrote: this has been done by me and other people whilst waiting for registration..but carry a photccopy of the import papers and basic insurance if possible .
is it much hassle ?? Is there an agent (pattaya) that can do it. I work 28/28 so not around.
i read a post by Scott, Siam Motorcycles and it sounds like a nightmare ! :?

Oct 17, 2006
KZ wrote: A couple of weeks ago I bought a 2003 VTR250 with 3500km on the clock, like new, no registration, no plate. On my way back, still in Bangkok, the cops flagged me out of traffic - they'd seen me on the monitor in their AC police box. They gave me a long talk in thai, I didn't understand a word; I produced the sales contract and the invoices of frame, engine, aso, told them I was on my way to Red Baron's (true) to get my bike legal (not true). They went on, finally I called a friend to translate. After a long talk with the cop she told me that there are two serious problems: my bike as such was imported in parts and not supposed to exist as a vehicle moving in traffic - I proved that by showing them the invoice! The second problem was that I hadn't payed any taxes and thus cheated the kingdom of Thailand out of serious money. She told me they're going to impound the bike. Well, I've been here for a while and asked her to "work something out". To make a long story short, it took at least another 20 minutes of back-and-forth phone calls (my phone battery was almost empty afterwards) to get them from 5000 THB to 3000 THB and then to 2000 THB - they wouldn't go lower than that. After I paid, they were my best friends, waving me off. I got their telefone # in case I was stopped again, but had no problems getting home.
Here in my village I ride the bike every day and have no problems at all.
I guess if I would have hung my Wave plate on the bike they wouldn't have stopped me.
What's the final word on being able to insure and tax a bike without papers?
they scammed u but this is Thailand

Oct 17, 2006
deckx call me 0866141903 maybe I can give u some pointers ,, where did u buy the bike from and what is it.

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
Yep, TIT - and that's good!! Fact is I was riding an illegal bike and had to pay for that. In Europe or the US they'd impounded it for sure; glad I got off with a small fine. Hope next time it'll be cheaper.

deckx

Feb 21, 2008
monsterman wrote: deckx call me 0866141903 maybe I can give u some pointers ,, where did u buy the bike from and what is it.
cheers monsterman , I won't be back for a few weeks so i'll see what i'm doing then.

I bought private from a guy in Bangkok, I got it for mainly for the track so probably won't use it too much for the road, thats why I'm wondering if i'll register it.

Heres a pic http://www.ya-ba.com/ninja/