Biking Holiday - Feb/Mar 2005

Jan 1, 2005
Planning a trip to Northern Thailand, arriving Chiang Mai 10/02/05. Three weeks in the area. Would like to know if it is at all possible to hire a BMW R1100/1150/1200GS. Wife does not ride, so need something to carry us both. Can descent helmets and offroad duds be purchased locally. Do any of the bikes available in Chiang Mai have luggage systems.

Andrew Forsyth
www.redmillhouse.com.au

john

Oct 6, 2003
It would be best to bring all your own riding gear. Helmets can be purchased, but size and quality maybe a problem. John

Jan 1, 2005
Thank you for info so far!!! Having trouble sourcing a big bike at this stage. May have to do it on a Honda Dream!!!! Very much looking forward to our trip - salivating at some of the trip reports.
Redmill

Andrew Forsyth
www.redmillhouse.com.au

Jan 1, 2005
Thanks David!!!!
The "police hassles" posts don't make it sound very promising regarding getting a decent size bike for Trish and Myself. I guess rental prices will hit the roof for the bigger bikes???

Andrew Forsyth
www.redmillhouse.com.au

mja34

Apr 24, 2003
The "police hassles" posts don't make it sound very promising regarding getting a decent size bike for Trish and Myself. I guess rental prices will hit the roof for the bigger bikes???

hi, bye the time you get here, the police hassles might be over! you never no in thailand!,the honda dreams are great for around town, you can hire litle boss175 kawasaki or honda phantoms 200 with plates at most of the larger hire shops,these are mini custom bikes,ok if you are not in a rush and you pack light!!. good luck,i am sure you will love the north,my mum fell for it last time she viseted it and she happily jumpes on the back of my honda dream. marcus

marcus ackerman

vtrman

Sep 29, 2004
Hi Marcus,

as you know, I'll be out there with you from 25th Jan. Please keep an eye on this bike situation for me, as if I can't get those dirtbikes, my plans will be disrupted somewhat!!!!!

Bill

Bill

mja34

Apr 24, 2003
will keep my eyes open,but at the moment dosent lookto good!!, m.

as you know, I'll be out there with you from 25th Jan. Please keep an eye on this bike situation for me, as if I can't get those dirtbikes, my plans will be disrupted somewhat!!!!!

Bill

Bill

marcus ackerman

Jan 13, 2005
We are at present in Chiang mai with our bikes. The place to stay is at the Jonadda gues house where the owner, an Australian called John, is a very keen biker. He knows all there is to know about getting bikes repaired etc in this area. He is on the internet if you want to look up his web site. Perhaps he can book a bike or know where to get the bike you need.