BMW R1100GS FOR SALE

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
NDS - good tip...
ADVrider is an excellent place for info and a number of GtRiders submit their trip reports as well "BeamerBoy"
& his epic China trips is our very own RHeikel...

Another forum site worth checking out for technical information is:
http://www.ukgser.com/

For more specific model background & history on the R1100GS
[you can also click thru for other GS variants here as well]
http://micapeak.com/bmw/gs/gs_tele.html

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Rhodie,

I think you're fully right about the wording the GS is not an off-road maybe we could call it a dual purpose bike as in fact it's NOT a roadster bike such as a Ducati Monster or

For travelling long distance, issue is the lack of wind protection, even with the small windshield.

I think this bike is the right successor of the Honda Vararedo, all the Tenere and other Dakkar bikes of every brands of this world. It has a perfume of adventure and the wide schock amplitude help to absorb bad roads and tracks. I think it's a wonderfull bike to drive in Thailand much better than a Ducati Monster which is absolutely not adapted to the Thai roads.

I don't catch your remark on price as you are talking about over a million TBH, which is the catalog price from Barcelona for a brand new model, so what' s the issue with second hand bike ? The one we are discussing on was priced between 250 and 300 KTBH, which is affordable for such bike ???

Jul 18, 2007
AZOULAY wrote: Hi Rhodie,

I think you're fully right about the wording the GS is not an off-road maybe we could call it a dual purpose bike as in fact it's NOT a roadster bike such as a Ducati Monster or

For travelling long distance, issue is the lack of wind protection, even with the small windshield.

I think this bike is the right successor of the Honda Vararedo, all the Tenere and other Dakkar bikes of every brands of this world. It has a perfume of adventure and the wide schock amplitude help to absorb bad roads and tracks. I think it's a wonderfull bike to drive in Thailand much better than a Ducati Monster which is absolutely not adapted to the Thai roads.

I don't catch your remark on price as you are talking about over a million TBH, which is the catalog price from Barcelona for a brand new model, so what' s the issue with second hand bike ? The one we are discussing on was priced between 250 and 300 KTBH, which is affordable for such bike ???
1. Actually the GS is an unusually good road bike - it just has a little extra flexibility...

2. For long distances in Thailand, the smallish windshield is a non-issue. It provides plenty of coverage, I've done Loei - BKK with some extracurricular stuff in a single day and survived it quite well. I believe mine has the same screen as the one you were bidding on. Laurent...

3. Actually, the BMW is not the successor to the bikes you mentioned, it is their predecessor. Every one of the dual-sport bikes, as such, have been aiming at the GS family of bikes. Most of them have brought interesting and useful variations on the theme, but BMW Paris-Dakar is the reference point.

4. Finally, you are right, Laurent, 1M+ is the original purchase price with proper paperwork and accoutrements. As soon as you drive out the door--as is typical in any country with new vehicles--your bike value is already down by about 200K baht. The price for the bike, offered at 280K, was less than a third the cost of a new one, and appeared to be a pretty good value - if the green book is legit. Unlike most BMWs, this one is somewhat of a gray market one, and you never know with those...

S.

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friend,

Agree on everything, even on point 3...If we go this just remeber the Yamaha DT 360, I have done the second Touquet Enduro with it in France an this was really the anscestor of all these multi purpose bikes.

No doubt that the GS is at top for Thailand, I miss this 1100 GS opportunity due to time constraints of my return to France and the low speed answer of the Seller who is somewhere in Norway at present, the bike should still at Scott's in Pattaya, but I don't want to delegate someone for this buying otherwhise it would had been perfect for me !

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
NDS has given a perfect summary.

The windshield - unless you are of Beamer Boy's stature is excellent on the 1150 & 1200.
The Varadero was Honda's stab at the same "adventure" market but with a definite road bias.
Some people love 'em others don't.
There's also a following especially in the States & South Africa for the Suzi's Veestrom.

Here in Thailand we are not sadly spoiled for choice.

If you are keen on the GS series - then whilst you are in Europe, try before you buy.

I had not picked up on the grey provenance of the GS on offer.
There are always examples to be had, as they are not too easy to move on unless you price at a silly price.
An 1150 recently went for just little more than 200K.

Yut @ Dynamic motors normally has one or two 11/1150s available.
Or he can acquire one for you if you are serious.
He does not appreciate tyre kickers tho, so only approach if you are really intent on getting one.

As for off-road abilities, I spent 2 weeks with my son riding through Laos & Cambo, 2-up + 60-70kgs of kit.

GSAngkorLR.jpg

At the causeway of Angkhor Wat.

Part of this was off-road and as it was in the rainy season, it was v hard work.
You can see some riding here - crossing Laos-Cambo border

The road is no longer pot-holed and nightmarish as this was.
PS Metzeler Karoos were essential.

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Hi Rhodie,

Just checked out the Youtube vid - great stuff and good to see the GS being put through it's paces!

AZOULAY wrote:

Azoulay, I had an 1100GS that I put approx 40,000 miles on in the two years I had it back in the UK, mainly via my 120 mile daily round trip to work but I also rode from Cherbourg to Toulouse on the "N" roads in 10 hours and got off the bike without any discomfort. As others have rightly said, the small windscreen is very effective. In all the bikes I have had over the years (yes, including a couple of 4 valve Ducatis), if I had to pick one to live with for the rest of my days, it would be the GS without a doubt.

Cheers,

Jeff.

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends,

In orderto dissipate all misunderstanding, no doubt about the bike, nothing to compare with the Ducati and idle for multipurpose usage.

As I only ride it for few Kms, my remark was about the windshield that I expected too small to protect from wind during cruising on roads around 100 km/h or more as I have a bad experience with a HD Fat Boy where I have been obliged to add a serious windshield.

But no doubt, it should be the ultimate bike and Rhodie arguments just confirm it.

Personnally I am looking for one, on top of the two bikes I already have, in the Skattis range of price, but not being in LOS all year long,ithas to be ready when and where I am available (July & August + X'Mas/New Year around Bangkok and now Cha-Am).

Do not hesitate to send me any opportunity is you hear something.

Oct 23, 2008
You will be happy to know the bike has a very good life, it is out running all day streching its legs.

It is my "SCOOTER" replacing the little bit smaller airblade.

It has a very nice home among the high rises in jomtien.

I could not help to read the complaints of driving in Bangkok, I have the solution. Buy an apartment here http://board.gt-rider.com/topic.asp?TOP ... erms=DR650 The Beach (if you cant read norwegian, look at the photos.)

Start off using it for weekends, when the airport train connects to Pattaya in some years time you can live here permanently while working in Bangkok.

I will give you special GS discount !