buying a sidecar

Feb 5, 2007
I am thinking of buying a sidecar and an appropriate bike to use as a tug. At least 3 members here have experience with car equipped bikes and I would be interested to know if there any rigs for sale, or about building one myself

Not a Thai food cart creation, or a swoopy Hannigan style thing, but a proper classic sidecar and bike combo
Car must be on the left

Dec 27, 2007
I quite enjoyed my Tiger Retro with Sidecar and it was 100% road legal, though many Thai coppers had to be educated on that fact ;)
040910TigerRetro2Sm.jpg

Full thread here: https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/showthread.php/32373-Buying-a-Tiger-Retro-with-Sidecar?highlight=tiger+retro

It was a very fun rig for running around my neighborhood and taking the little guy to pre-school, and it turned a lot of heads, but when I moved back into the city I got rid of it as it would be a nightmare in Bangkok traffic.

I understand that it's possible to custom build a sidecar but it will need to be inspected and approved by the Land Transport Department before you can legally register your 3 wheel vehicle.

If I'm not mistaken doesn't German Joe have some experience with this process in CM?

Feb 5, 2007
Joe, and John Nash are both sources that I intend to tap when I learn more about this.

There is also a guy up the road from me in Mae Taneg (Ghraydon Wallick) whose father invented a leaning sidecar, and I have sent him an email
He had a leaning car at one of the ToyRide events and I was pretty impressed on how it performed in parking lot maneuvers

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
brake034;292807 wrote: As far as I know side cars need homologation before they are officially allowed on the road, seems only Tiger has done that so far.
It is not that the police who will be a problem, the real problem with sidecars is that they are not insured.
When insurance finds out that a sidecar was hooked up they CAN waive a claim.
I recall seeing this somewhere also. Basically almost all the rigs you see on the road are technically illegal. If i remember right, only established manufacturers were able to get an approval. Of course, this is Thailand.

Feb 5, 2007
I am getting a good handle on leaning sidecar design, and more comfortable about building one myself.
has anyone seen just the tub for sale?

Dec 27, 2007
Hoghead;292887 wrote: I am getting a good handle on leaning sidecar design, and more comfortable about building one myself.
has anyone seen just the tub for sale?
Do you guys have any STALLION dealers up in CM? They have a big dealership not from from my house here in Bangkok and sell all sorts of weird bikes. (They got into some hot water not too long ago for trying to sell mini-monsters with Ducati stickers on them.

Anyway, last time I visited they had a number of different sidecars and they were available with or without a bike or scooter. They'd made some that looked just like the old vintage BMW sidecars- something like this-
36bmwr12sidecar.jpg

I'm not finding any pics on their website but haven't dug very deep- http://www.powerstallions.com/index.php

No idea on prices either but guessing they are pretty cheap!

And if nothing else, at least I'm sure you might enjoy some of the, ahem, bikes in this Stallion vid :mrgreen:

:happy1:

Dec 27, 2007
Hey Robert, check out :55 on the vid posted above and you get a brief peek at one of their sidecars, but that one is tiny and probably not what you're looking for. The larger BMW-style one might be a one-off but it wouldn't hurt to call them and ask. TGIF!!
beerchug

Feb 5, 2007
Never heard of Stallion but will check it out as that is the style of car I am looking for.
Now I need a Boxer to go with it