Cold season: road warning

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
It seems like we are having a genuine cold season (by local standards) this year, after the last really good one 5 years ago.
Now one of the problems I've noted here with asphalt roads roads in the cold season is that some sections (always the corners?) appear to suffer from a type of water seepage, that makes them extremely slippery and dangerous.
I think the Thais call this nam oi (sugar cane water?)
Silverhawk & I saw it in a couple of places on the road from Dan Sai to Loei. This wet oily surface also occurs on the Mae Hong Son Loop road in many places in the cold. It also appears on R118, 55 kms north of Cnx.
https://www.gt-rider.com/traffic.html
" Cold season water seepage can make some asphalt roads damp and slippery. This often occurs in well-forested areas and is noticeable in the mornings, mainly on the Mae Hong Son loop; but it can also occur on the main Chiang Mai – Chiang Rai highway (specifically 55 kms north of Chiang Mai, on a sweeping left hander), as one rider found out on the way to Laos in Dec. 1999."

Without personally inspecting the accident scene, I reckon that this is what probably took out our good friend Geir on R118 Mae Suai - Chiang Rai last week.

So the word is to pay really close attention to the road surface this cold season. If you see any shiny smooth black asphalt on the road ahead of ahead of you, back off a bit, watch it closely, & take it easy. It could just be that dangerous black sheen will bring you down without any warning whatsoever.

Ride safe & stay upright.

May 3, 2005
yesterday, in prep for my upcoming ride, i did a nice 270 km loop thru the mountains outside my current residence, pusan, s.korea. i, too, noticed this unusually black wet sheen to the surface in the shaded curves. a BIG difference between mere shadows and these conditions. damn right i pulled up!!

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
122531473-S.jpg

Spotted on route 108 Kong Loi – Mae Sarieng.

Watch out for this little wet nasty from a broken water pipe beside the road.
If you heading west towards Mae Sarieng it is 5 kms east of after Mae Ho / 3.5 kms east of the Bua Thong sunflower spot.
If you’re riding a bit hard & got it cranked right over coming out of the corner, then guaranteed you are going to sit up real quick when you see it. I know I did.